• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What book/author do you LOVE that few boardies would know about?

72 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

So I'm on the verge of finishing up Del Toro/Hogan's The Strain trilogy (better late than never) and was in my local Barnes & Noble browsing titles new and old seeking inspiration for what next to read, overwhelmed at the sheer volume of choice.

Rather than go with something tried-and-true, I'd be interested in discovering a new author/book that might be relatively unknown but has some solid recommendations behind it from fellow genre fans, so I turn to you all for your picks on who/what is AWESOME, but also is quite possibly unknown to myself or the masses.

My tastes run the gamut but in general I like horror/crime/humor/suspense/fantasy/detective stuff, maybe not so much SF, but I'd still like to get your picks for anything, regardless.

I'll start: of course I'm sure many of you will already be familiar with Joe R. Lansdale, but if you aren't, check out any of his short story collections - they're mind-bendingly amazing. Sanctified and Chicken-Fried is great. I was first turned onto Lansdale when I saw the film Bubba Ho-Tep a few years back; I couldn't believe I had never heard of such a prolific author who recalled to me the voice of Richard Matheson infused with helium - just twisted fun.

But enough from me. Whatcha got?

But enough from me. Whatcha got?

It's been a decade or more since I read C.S. Friedman's Coldfire Trilogy and I still think about it to this day. It really can't be classified. It's sci fi and gothic and a hero's quest, mages, magic and alien races. And her world-building skills are off-the-charts. Oh, and one of the coolest fictional characters ever created- Gerald Tarrant.

I haven't read anything like it before or since. A genre all it's own.

coldfire.jpg

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society‎

by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows

Written in epistolary fashion, it was started by Shaffer, who, during the editing process became ill and eventually passed away, finished in final form by her niece, Barrows.

One of the best books I've read in the last ten years.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Guernsey_Literary_and_Potato_Peel_Pie_Society

WIKIPEDIA linky for more information

"The Bug Wars" by Robert L. Asprin

I received the book in 1982 and I still read it today. It's just fantastic, and if it was ever made into a movie I'd be overjoyed. The technology is finally there to do it justice.

Peace,

Chip

You are close to my choice as well. The "Myth" series by Robert Asprin. Loved those books as a teenager and they still hold up today.

5103692Z5QL.jpg

Wool by Hugh Howey (post apoc)

Any novel written by Jo Nesbo (Nordic noir/crime - think girl with dragon tattoo but way better)

To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee (required high school reading, but go ahead and read it as an adult. Truly a work of art)

Ahh. Perhaps THIS is what kav was talking about.

Wet Moon, Volume 1: Feeble Wanderings (Wet Moon #1)

by Ross Campbell

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81 · rating details · 770 ratings · 77 reviews

An unusually usual day-to-day story in the Deep South, set in the gothic, swampy southern town of Wet Moon, a place fraught with lousy love lives, teen angst, and shadowy rednecks. As Cleo Lovedrop heads off for college at the local art school, she's haunted by her melancholic past: a lost love, a lost child. Friends and enemies live their lives around her

Evidently the first of several volumes.

I received the book in 1982 and I still read it today. It's just fantastic, and if it was ever made into a movie I'd be overjoyed. The technology is finally there to do it justice.

Peace,

Chip

You are close to my choice as well. The "Myth" series by Robert Asprin. Loved those books as a teenager and they still hold up today.

Did you ever read the "Tales From The Vulgar Unicorn" books? Collections of short stories set in Sanctuary, many different authors but edited by R.L. Aspirin.

If you like the D&D-type stuff, I think you'd enjoy those. I have had the first three boks a few times in my life, and I always send them off to someone I like so they can read them. If I owned them now, I'd send them to you, but I don't...

-slym

Peace,

Chip

Did you ever read the "Tales From The Vulgar Unicorn" books? Collections of short stories set in Sanctuary, many different authors but edited by R.L. Aspirin.

If you like the D&D-type stuff, I think you'd enjoy those. I have had the first three boks a few times in my life, and I always send them off to someone I like so they can read them. If I owned them now, I'd send them to you, but I don't...

-slym

Shared Universe stories, and the authors had fun messin' with each others' characters, once the universe was established.

Fun reads.