• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What book/author do you LOVE that few boardies would know about?

72 posts in this topic

DBTD_1000PPX_WEBRES.jpg

The BEST fantasy series I have ever read (well maybe a close second to LotR) -

Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series.

It is so badass.

Please read it.

Book 1 -

228665.jpg

Agreed, terrific series but Jordan lost his way a bit towards the end. Brandon Sanderson did an amazing job pulling it all together at the end even if it did feel a bit rushed. Tarmon Gaidon was epic!

Some authors and series I have enjoyed....

Jim Butcher - The Dresdin Files series....up to 15 books....great author and series!

Patrick Rothfus - Name of the Wind

Joe R Lansdale - anything....he is fantastic!! Hap and Leonard series is the best!

If you like time travel/fantasy/magic/werewolves/body-jumping/historical fiction, then you MUST read Tim Powers' Anubis Gates!!

Oh yeah, good one! (thumbs u Another in that vein has a certain charm I'm enjoying: The Bright Empires series by Stephen R Lawhead (1st volume: The Skin Map)

And seconding Patrick Rothfuss as well. But you may want to wait for the 3rd volume in the The Kingkiller Chronicle before starting 'Name Of The Wind'. Some of the best books I've ever read, but waiting and waiting for the concluding volume sucks.

My two favorite books are ones that most people have heard of but never read:

Winter of Our Discontent by John Steinbeck

Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

Great Expectations is one of my favorite books. Just re-read it a year or so ago. :grin:

I love Tim Powers, and collect first and limited editions of all his work... It's amazing.

If you like Powers, you should also try James P. Blaylock... He's a friend of Powers, and they often share characters (like William Ashbless) and plot points between their novels. IMHO, his earlier stuff is better than his more recent work, but it's all fun.

And no discussion of authors is complete without me recommending Neal Stephenson at least once... Try Cryptonomicon for a great standalone novel, but all of his work is astounding.

Since there are a few Robert McCammon fans here I must share this story.

A couple of years ago on my 50th birthday I received a card in the mail, but I did not recognize the return address. When I opened the card and read the inscription I was absolutely FLOORED when I saw that it was from my all-time favorite author, Robert McCammon!

I looked over at my wife and she was grinning from ear-to-ear. Turns out she had secretly contacted Robert McCammon's webmaster and asked if he could arrange for Robert to send me a card for my 50th birthday.

Talk about a mind blowing surprise. I had a smile on my face for a week. :)

McCammon-Birthday_zpsae60c183.jpg