• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action Comics #2 CGC 9.4

383 posts in this topic

Isn't the whole point of the restored market to give greater access to books that would normally be out of reach for those who do not mind restored? (shrug)

-J.

There is no restored market. There is a comic book market. There are restored comic books books. The point of restoration is to make ugly books more presentable. When disclosed and labeled it really doesn't have anything to do with price. All of the talk about restoration vs. price in this thread seems to be in direct correlation to the views of collectors who tend to poo poo on books with restoration because they don't view those books as worthy of being in their collections. Those same collectors generally also do not collect low grade books, yet they don't come on and rag on those books because of the defects. In this case the book is clearly labeled as to what has been done to it. So why is it even a discussion? The comic market will decide its value, not the restored market...or the conserved market...or any other subset which is looked on as inferior by the high grade collecting purists who love to bash restoration.

I don't collect DCs and never will. .

This parochial, dogmatic, line of thinking befuddles me. I'd leap over a stack of Planet Comics to get to a pile of ragged More Funs, but that doesn't mean I won't have Planets in my collection. I've never understood, and never will understand, why comic collectors draw these asinine lines in their collections. Comics are comics. There are good ones, bad ones, and great ones in all of the publishers in my view

The real question is whether it is time to re-submit this book.

batman_15s.jpg

Actually just kidding. I have no intention on selling. I picked this copy up because it was about 15x cheaper than an equivalent blue label book and I thought it looked pretty.

The biggest reason why I like to collect GA is to own something that is old and rare. Something that has survived time. If a book was soiled at some point, chances are, that copy isn't the right book for my collection. If it was the only copy that existed, I would want to buy it soiled, not cleaned. I'm not the only person who feels this way. That's why this book won't sell for full 9.4 value.

You know I also collect high grade books and therefore prefer books that have never had any damage. The reason I collect high grade is for the look. I want something that looks as close to newsstand fresh as possible. Mile Highs, Allentowns, Spokanes, those books have been handled very little and have colors that pop. I love them for the way they look. It isn't primarily about value for me, other than the inherent value I derive from looking at a beautiful book.

Since the eye appeal of the book is so important to me I would much prefer a book that had a clean cover than a book that was all stained and dirty if I had to make that choice.

Give me your cleaned, your scribbled on, your restored and huddled masses. I like COMICS! Plain and simple folks

:cloud9:

Spectre More Fun's. :cloud9:

Indeed. But Fate too brother. Love me some Fate

And Adventure, All Star, All American, etc. I have always been a "Marvel" guy but I can still appreciate some good stuff that DC produced.

I was a SA Marvel guy that graduated to DC GA a long time ago. I love them all. Can't contemplate a publisher that doesn't have something that interests me

The biggest reason why I like to collect GA is to own something that is old and rare. Something that has survived time. If a book was soiled at some point, chances are, that copy isn't the right book for my collection. If it was the only copy that existed, I would want to buy it soiled, not cleaned. I'm not the only person who feels this way. That's why this book won't sell for full 9.4 value.

You know I also collect high grade books and therefore prefer books that have never had any damage. The reason I collect high grade is for the look. I want something that looks as close to newsstand fresh as possible. Mile Highs, Allentowns, Spokanes, those books have been handled very little and have colors that pop. I love them for the way they look. It isn't primarily about value for me, other than the inherent value I derive from looking at a beautiful book.

Since the eye appeal of the book is so important to me I would much prefer a book that had a clean cover than a book that was all stained and dirty if I had to make that choice.

Give me your cleaned, your scribbled on, your restored and huddled masses. I like COMICS! Plain and simple folks

ciorac i never new how you got that name till last night.

ciroc_zpsbc5aa201.jpg

(thumbs u

ciorac i never new how you got that name till last night.

ciroc_zpsbc5aa201.jpg

(thumbs u

LOVE the books, but that's not the origin of my Board name

Isn't the whole point of the restored market to give greater access to books that would normally be out of reach for those who do not mind restored? (shrug)

-J.

There is no restored market. There is a comic book market. There are restored comic books books. The point of restoration is to make ugly books more presentable. When disclosed and labeled it really doesn't have anything to do with price. All of the talk about restoration vs. price in this thread seems to be in direct correlation to the views of collectors who tend to poo poo on books with restoration because they don't view those books as worthy of being in their collections. Those same collectors generally also do not collect low grade books, yet they don't come on and rag on those books because of the defects. In this case the book is clearly labeled as to what has been done to it. So why is it even a discussion? The comic market will decide its value, not the restored market...or the conserved market...or any other subset which is looked on as inferior by the high grade collecting purists who love to bash restoration.

This parochial, dogmatic, line of thinking befuddles me. I'd leap over a stack of Planet Comics to get to a pile of ragged More Funs, but that doesn't mean I won't have Planets in my collection. I've never understood, and never will understand, why comic collectors draw these asinine lines in their collections. Comics are comics. There are good ones, bad ones, and great ones in all of the publishers in my view

I don't get called asanine very often, Bill. I'm not a fan of the DC universe and don't have the desire to collect them. I can't collect everything and it seemed an easy line for me to draw.

-J.

I don't get called asanine very often, Bill. I'm not a fan of the DC universe and don't have the desire to collect them. I can't collect everything and it seemed an easy line for me to draw.

The line is asinine Jeff, not you

Well. I enjoy a variety of material as well and while I can't speak for you or Bill I think it's great when people can appreciate a wide variety of stuff as opposed to only knowing 1961-1988 marvels, for example. Obviously neither of you guys fit into that category and we can all collect what we like and yes we can't buy it all, but some peoples collections do seem so focused to the point where you wonder how they can fully appreciate the medium and it's history. Again, not at all saying that's either of you guys - quite the opposite - but that's how I sometimes react to 'lines drawn' that seem overly constrictive. The Marvel Zombie syndrome being the most obvious manifestation.

-J.

I'm not a praying man, but if I were, I'd get on my knees every day and night and thank baby Jesus for my wife, my son, and for Cheetah not collecting DCs.

Amen.