• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Weird War Tales #1 w/ Small fingerprint smudge?

12 posts in this topic

I just recently picked this book up and its super nice except it has the one small spot of fingerprint smudge on the front cover on the right hand side near the lower half of the "D" in "WEIRD".

I'm wondering if I should send it off to GCG to get graded but I don't know how much the small smudge will downgrade the overall condition.

Anyone got a good idea what ultimate grade this one might achieve if I send it CGC? There's no hidden defects inside.

Thanks!

image1_zpsce0eea20.jpg

image2_zps064af142.jpg

It IS a nice-looking copy, but for the smudge, and it's quite a smudge. Have you tried dry-cleaning in the white area?

I can't see CGC giving it more than an 8.0, and a 7.5 would not surprise me. I would just keep it in Mylar and enjoy it for it is. ;)

Thanks for the thoughts on this.

I hadn't thought about trying to get the white part dry cleaned. Thanks for the suggestion. Any recommendations for a company that does that?

Fingerprinting like this is usually caused by oils, e.g., potato chips anyone? Use a pencil point white gum eraser and practice on some throwaway books before trying to do it yourself on a valuable book. :)

Do NOT however try it on inked areas.

Thanks for the thoughts on this.

I hadn't thought about trying to get the white part dry cleaned. Thanks for the suggestion. Any recommendations for a company that does that?

Fingerprinting like this is usually caused by oils, e.g., potato chips anyone? Use a pencil point white gum eraser and practice on some throwaway books before trying to do it yourself on a valuable book. :)

Do NOT however try it on inked areas.

yeah, if you have a steady hand you can get the white areas cleaned up. It will look better, but the black and yellow areas , there really isn't anything you can do about it.

Yeah, bought it off of MCS. In my opinion, they over-downgrade comic grades for certain types of defects…like this smudge for example. And, for things like centerfolds with one staple loose, etc. I've gotten some great buys off their site.

I don't know. hm 6.5 does sound reasonable to me.

I have a Batman 232 that looks every bit a 9.6,but for a tiny pinhole stain.

It came back 8.5 :cry:

hmmmm…so, we have people thinking CGC would grade it anywhere from 6.5 to 9.0. As much as its probably not worth me sending it off to actually get graded…I think I will anyhow, just to know for sure what they would call it. My curiosity is too much.