• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can anybody help me identify this Donald Duck art?

6 posts in this topic

Hi guys. New to the boards and spend most of my time in Gold. I collect about everything but original art. I do have several cool pieces I've bumped into over the years but it isn't my focus.

The reason for my request is that I found this inked drawing at an estate sale several years ago. It apears to be probably from the mid 1940's. It was done by the studios as a get well card maybe for an employee or relative of an employee. I have googled the names on it and come up dry. I know Disney had a "house style" and artists were not allowed to sign their names. This one does appear to be signed. It really looks like maybe Carl Barks (check out the woman especially). Or it could be some one else. Can anyone tell me? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bob

duckart_zpsd6a49a47.jpg

As you probably already learned, it is by Al Taliaferro. Very nice. You can find other examples of his work from this period in the Hertage Auction archives. I don't recall seeing an in-house illustration like this by him before.

More likely it was an executive at Disney that asked for something from the art department to give as a special "get well soon" to someone even more prominent with Disney or in their social circle. But then again it could have simply been a friend of Taliaferro's that commissioned it to give to someone. I know, no help. But a great piece, thanks for sharing!

Hi Maypr 066. Thanks for your reply. Yeah, I figured it was an in house thing. I worked in the art dept at Disney studios for a time and we got requests like that all the time from the boys up stairs.

More likely it was an executive at Disney that asked for something from the art department to give as a special "get well soon" to someone even more prominent with Disney or in their social circle. But then again it could have simply been a friend of Taliaferro's that commissioned it to give to someone. I know, no help. But a great piece, thanks for sharing!