• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bank vault safety deposit boxes?

53 posts in this topic

I did not want to start a war I appreciate Gators input but my guess there are many people here that have questions regarding my topic.

No war, not even a skirmish. :gossip:

Gator's a friend and I hold his opinion in high regard. He's just misinformed on the subject of fireproof safes based on a terrible experience with an inferior product. The information you requested has been provided, but I'd recommend doing more research to determine which solution works best for your particular needs. What you choose to do is entirely up to you.

(thumbs u

Ah, finally...a person with a sense of humor...

You must've missed Primetime's passport comment to ciorac. :baiting:

That was a coffee spewer. lol

Yeah, It's so dry here in AZ that I take a putty knife and spread a little mold and mildew on my books once in awhile for good measure...I also like to mist them with a spray bottle, they seem to enjoy that... :insane:

What the heck are they produce!

Brian is still hoping his suppliers will drop prices or give away free samples on aisle 10. :grin:

I saw Primetime's response...the Bat 1 has it's own passport...yeah, I thought that was funny too...in other news...my LCS is having a free GA day next week...they are going to give away 10 GA keys to the first 10 people who walk in the door. Only stipulation is that you must be at least 110 years old, have a wooden leg, and like to drink crocodile bile... doh!

I did not want to start a war I appreciate Gators input but my guess there are many people here that have questions regarding my topic.

No war, not even a skirmish. :gossip:

Gator's a friend and I hold his opinion in high regard. He's just misinformed on the subject of fireproof safes based on a terrible experience with an inferior product. The information you requested has been provided, but I'd recommend doing more research to determine which solution works best for your particular needs. What you choose to do is entirely up to you.

(thumbs u

Ah, finally...a person with a sense of humor...

You must've missed Primetime's passport comment to ciorac. :baiting:

That was a coffee spewer. lol

Yeah, It's so dry here in AZ that I take a putty knife and spread a little mold and mildew on my books once in awhile for good measure...I also like to mist them with a spray bottle, they seem to enjoy that... :insane:

What the heck are they produce!

Brian is still hoping his suppliers will drop prices or give away free samples on aisle 10. :grin:

I saw Primetime's response...the Bat 1 has it's own passport...yeah, I thought that was funny too...in other news...my LCS is having a free GA day next week...they are going to give away 10 GA keys to the first 10 people who walk in the door. Only stipulation is that you must be at least 110 years old, have a wooden leg, and like to drink crocodile bile... doh!

Dang! Your ship has come in! :D

Why is a fire proof safe so dangerous I would think that the opposite would have been even worse if a fire actually did break out?

It is my understanding that a fireproof safe has a seal that is designed to melt, keeping the internal temperature cooler than a regular safe as well as keeping smoke out. This seal also reduces air flow so condensation builds up faster inside causing rust or mold. A good floor mounted gun safe or something similar should have at least a 30-60 minute fire rating which is typically long enough should the fire dept get there quickly. All that being said, every safe should be opened fairly regularly to air it out.

Ken

I agree that most bank safety deposit boxes are safe. I have had my high end books in safety deposit boxes from two different banks and would periodically check on them to see if they were in the same condition I placed them in. Still looking the same for me with no evidence of staple or paper degradation. I've been storing my keys for the past 10 years or so now.

Ditto.

Concerning the issue with safes causting rusty staples - read this.

1174902-Hulk182TopStaple.jpg

I read Steve's post alerting collectors to this issue four or five years ago. Notice that he mentioned it was a specific model of safe which had recurring issues. Were all of the other variables that might've contributed to staple disintegration discussed and realistically addressed? Was it a Sentry safe? Unfortunately, that information wasn't forthcoming.

I'm assuming legal liability issues prevented his outing the manufacturer, but is it reasonable to tar ALL fireproof safes with the same brush? I'm sure that Steve meant well, but does a blanket condemnation serve the collecting community?

If you're going to worry about storage, it's worth considering that banks aren't consistently more reliable, testimonials notwithstanding. It's already been established that banks are subject to varying heat & humidity conditions. What I'd recommend is checking on your bank's insurance policy on long term storage. Is there any coverage for unforeseen environmental damage? If not, there's no reason to assume that your collectibles will be better off in a bank vault than they'd be in a well designed fire proof safe. My 2c (environmentally controlled)

TeamX-Men, on another board I belong to with a different collecting target, it seems to have been determined that the outside climate definitely has a bearing on the wearing and aging of an item. If you are in a humid area, it will be more pronounced than when in a dry climate, and whether keeping your books in a safe or bank vault would protect them from that I guess is a trial and see situation.

When I got back into collecting around 1972 (and I still had a number of books I had obtained in the late '50's), I simply stored them stacked, in the closet. Later I put them in Mylar bags, again, in the closet. When this here internet thing happened, bringing eBay, I really expanded the collection, now putting all those Mylar bagged books into white colored boxes (can't remember if they were for comics or 45's [records]).

Now being in Southern California, a relatively dry climate, I'm sure has helped to prevent them from aging, and they look damn near the same to me now, as they did back then.

What I would suggest to you, is to contact some of the larger dealers, such as Metropolis Collectibles, and perhaps also Heritage Auctions, and ask them exactly how they store their books.

Thanks will do.....I live in Eastern Canada it is winter 5 months a year (below zero mostly minus 5 to minus 40 Celsius during that time frame). Only in summer does the temperature go from 20 to 35 Celsius outdoors for say 4 months. The rest of the time is is all in between those temperatures.

I've seen that pic of the nasty staples before, wasn't it a Hulk 182 in 9.8, and read the whole thread.

It's definitely scary, in fact it gives me nightmares, but I agree with DavidMerryweather that Steve Borock made a blanket statement cautioning against all safes, which was wrong. A gun safe is meant to store guns and last time I looked guns are made from metal. Something else was going on with that specific safe, some mixture of chemicals, something. I have a Fort Knox gun safe for maybe ten years and it has served me well. I do open it frequently, at least once a week, even blowing a fan on it for ten minutes or so. I have a humidity gauge in the safe and one of those Eva Dehumidifiers. As with Moondog, I keep my fingers crossed. I store slabbed and raw and some coins.

If a gun is well-oiled, it will not rust in a safe, nor will silver or gold coins. Obviously, under certain conditions, comic book staples will rust, and in an aggressive fashion, in at least some types of home safes.

Has anyone ever noticed degradation of comic book paper or comic book staples from comics stored in a bank vault safety deposit box? Or important papers like wills, dollar bills, or expensive watches, or other valuables with metal in them that people typically keep in their bank safety deposit boxes for safekeeping?

Another thread about storing your comics in bank safety deposit boxes.