• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bank vault safety deposit boxes?

53 posts in this topic

I was told a comic book needs to ''breath''......I do not want to sound stupid (probably will anyway as any rookie) but if I where to place a comic book in a slab pro or a plastic bag made for comic books into my safe at the bank would that still be ok or would that be considered air sealed and dangerous for the comic book?

Slab pro link for those who do not know this protective gear for cgc holders:

http://www.slab-pro.com/index.asp

To be honest, I have wondered about the really tight bags myself. The original CGC bags are very loose but just plain ugly. I don't think the comics need to 'breathe' as much as they need to have an outlet for the off gassing. I believe your books will be fine in the Bank Vault. I've used a Bank Vault for years but I do try and visit them at least a few times a year. My biggest concern is moisture, whether they be at home or in a Bank Vault. As G.A.tor mentioned climate control is important.

But what do you mean by a climate controlled bank vault? Do you simply mean a bank vault where air circulates at all times inside the vault (and when the door is closed when the bank is closed that inside air still circulates) and the temperature is kept at a normal level?

I just figured now a days they would all be safe guess I was wrong.

I have had my Tec 1-3-5-10-12 27-28-29-30-31-32-33-34-35 Two Bat 1s Sup 1-2-3 14 Action 1-2-7-10-11-12-13-15- for over 20 years in 2 diff boxes NOT climate controlled .

Here is my Tec 15 had for 30 years in safe box took this pix year ago Not climate controlled never had prob and all look as good as the day i put in. <a  href=Action1_zps5530974b.jpg' alt='Action1_zp

OH 3 cap 1s Torch 1 Sub 1 more than i can say 3 Superman 1s

This is ALL VERY confusing just figured any bank vault safety deposit box would be safe.

I have another member here who sent me a private message stating that the bank vault most also not be fire proof I mean what bank in this world offers a safety deposit box that is not fire proof? This is by no means a attack on that member not at all just this is soooo complicated. Is this also true?

I have had my Tec 1-3-5-10-12 27-28-29-30-31-32-33-34-35 Two Bat 1s Sup 1-2-3 14 Action 1-2-7-10-11-12-13-15- for over 20 years in 2 diff boxes NOT climate controlled .

Here is my Tec 15 had for 30 years in safe box took this pix year ago Not climate controlled never had prob and all look as good as the day i put in. <a  href=Action1_zps5530974b.jpg' alt='Action1_zp

OH 3 cap 1s Torch 1 Sub 1 more than i can say 3 Superman 1s

I could not bear to be away from my comics, so no bank shall ever house them

Here is my Tec 15 had for 30 years in safe box took this pix year ago Not climate controlled never had prob and all look as good as the day i put in. lol

I had 3 diff boxes for my big money books and all 3 are safe and are fire proof .Thers millions in the boxes the safe is thick you cant go wrong in my 2 cents.

Now storages should have climate controlled but a safe box come on man its smoke free in a HUGEsafe JUST MY EXP AND OPINION.

woowoo:

Gator told me the box in the vault needs to be non fire proof and the safe must be air controlled.

So you are saying that after soooo many years your very expensive comics where stored in a non climate controlled bank and that your box is fire proof correct? Have any of the staples on your comics become more rusty over the years I ask this based on what Gator said about staples becoming rusted in fire proof boxes (I do not meant the vault just the box where you put your stuff)?

Are your comics in the box raw or cgc graded?

This will help me determine what I am going to do tomorrow.

Gator

I am going to call my bank tomorrow they just installed brand new boxes about a year ago (the bank itself is about 30 years old or so.....so a older type bank vault) so I hope their new boxes are not fire proof.

You are not reading or misunderstanding. All vaults are fire proof (or should be). Most safety boxes are not air tight and therefore can't be fireproof. That is not the issue. The bank turning off air flow in vault at night (so you need climate control in vault) and possibility of heat and moisture trapped is issue

I've seen comics have staples badly rusted in some fireproof safes and the paper actually begin to mold

Really, ...I'd like to know the evidence you've seen. hm

It would be helpful if you indicated which brand(s) of fireproof safe should be avoided.

Sentry brand is one. That's the one that ruined a few of my comics (the paper was "wet" and moldy and the staples rusted after only a year