• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OWL Card - What's Cream?

43 posts in this topic

OWLcomplete.jpg

Thanks Davenport. :grin:

HOLY! is that just aging of the OWL cards or did they really miss the coloring on the whole scale. that white looks many lower shades of OW and do they really need 3 levels of Brown. Brown is Brown. Has CGC ever given a PQ of Brown?

The OWL card is a nice concept but is there a digital version where the coloring can be maintained and won't age?

HOLY! is that just aging of the OWL cards or did they really miss the coloring on the whole scale?

The point being that each 'band' on the OWL represents the lowest level for that range. Which no one seems to read.

Also, remember this was back when comics were printed on newsprint. IMHO, the OWL card isn't representative of today's comic-paper scales of whiteness.

;)

-slym

OWLcomplete.jpg

Thanks Davenport. :grin:

HOLY! is that just aging of the OWL cards or did they really miss the coloring on the whole scale. that white looks many lower shades of OW and do they really need 3 levels of Brown. Brown is Brown. Has CGC ever given a PQ of Brown?

The OWL card is a nice concept but is there a digital version where the coloring can be maintained and won't age?

First time I ever heard of it was here:

15962439110_9b95032d32_b.jpg

Ok I'll bite, why are owl cards useless?

Apparently they were misprinted. In the 1st Ed. Grading Guide there's a actual-size OWL card advertisement. The ad colors are more accurate, so you could use it in a pinch. And you can lay an actual OWL on the ad and see the misprinted colors.

The newly-released Overstreet Guide to Grading Comics specifically states that the OWL card is out of date and should not be used.

out of date in comparison to what?

I mean did page quality get re-defined?

PQ did not get redefined.

My copy of the Grading Guide is at home, so later tonight (if I don't forget) I will quote the actual statement from the Grading Guide regarding the OWL card.

qqVHmFm.jpg

This is all very interesting except for the fact that the "Q" in "PQ" stands for "Quality" and not "Colour". (thumbs u

And this rampant confusion and uncertainty is precisely why CGC did not want to even include "PQ" on their labels in the first place, one would have to imagine.

-J.

I was merely showing the section the other poster was referring to in their post.

Some might this method of grading/representation of page quality/color whatever

more realistic than the OWL card. Though I think the Owl card is still useful if used to compare against the page in photos since lighting can screw up your ability to judge how things really look. I still use the card in images of the interior of books I sell for the buyers benefit.

qqVHmFm.jpg

On my computer screen the White and Off White/White both look in the White range.

The Off White looks Off White/White (the word balloons are white but the page edges are off-white.

The Cream/Off White and Cream both look in Off White range.

The Tan and Brown both look in the Cream range. (shrug)