• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has This Forum Affected Your Work Performance?

55 posts in this topic

I agree with FFB - this place is addictive. I now spend far too much time staring at a computer screen and as a consequence my brain hurts.

But on the bright side, I now have comic collecting pals on five continents and in almost every major city in the US. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Yep, it's addictive for a reason - intelligent discourse about the medium that matters.

sign-funnypost.gif

Intelligent discourse?

Here?

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Well, occasionally. All right, all right. Once. tongue.gif

Oh, it runs far deeper than that...

I do all my surfing from home...the first year I was on the forum I installed a second PC on the ground floor, so I didn't spend hours on end in my study without seeing the rest of my family.

The second year I added a laptop and installed cable connections in 4 different rooms So I could check the boards wherever I was.

The third year (this year) is only a few weeks old and I've just switched to a wireless LAN, enhanced the antenna so that I can still go online when sitting at the bottom of our garden.

I'm pretty sure if I rig up an antenna next to our chimney with a booster-pack I can check the boards using my laptop from the coffee-shop down the street which I frequent often...

I'd insert a graemlin now, but I can't find the "sad geek b*st*rd" one 893whatthe.gif

This question is way too relevant.

Yes, I peruse these boards every day at work. I typically have one window open just for the boards page. I have stayed late many a night to finish things I should have finished during normal work hours. The good news is I'm an exec so it doesn't really matter how I spend the minutia of the day as long as the end result is productivity and accomplishment.

However, being in a very deadline-oriented industry, this addiction to the boards makes it REEEAAALLLY tough at crunch time because the temptation to just see what's happened in the last hour is incredible.

But NEXT week, it's gonna be different! insane.gif

Great googly moogly, I'm an addict! 893whatthe.gif

headbang.gif

between here, various ebay boards and legal chat boards, yes, my work has probably been impacted...

but probably not more than if i was a heavy smoker who had to go down to the street every hour for a cigarette

36_1_50.gif Huh, er, um could you repeat the question.....

Seriously, there are 4 things you need to be a successfull at chat board posting while at work.

1. An office with a door - just cannot understate the importance of this.

2. A case of beer/wine, weekly lunch, or whatever other extortion is necessary for the IT department.

3. A Boss who gives you a long leash. Currently my boss is in Moldova, then he's off to Thailand and Sri Lanka - that's pretty long.

4. Fast mouse click button - already covered, but speed necessity is greatly lessened by item #1.

Has this board affected my performance 36_11_6.gif Well I have spent a couple of late nights but in general no.

I have yet to use anywhere near 100% of my intellectual, or workload capacity since University (this job I top out at about 55% the highest yet), its amazing how low the bar is sometimes and how amazed people are by miniscule efforts these days. Its just one mroe thing I attribute to the Baby Boomer lead decline of western civilization, but hey thats another story. news.gif

But on the bright side, I now have comic collecting pals on five continents and in almost every major city in the US. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I agree with what most of you have to say on this issue. But, the above statement best reflects my thoughts.

I'm pretty good at multi-tasking and a big part of my job is spent on the phone, so I an usually talking to someone when I post at work.

If I ever do get behind due to "excessive forum browsing", I just stay late. Staying late is nothing compared to having made all the friends and contacts I have on these boards.

4. Fast mouse click button - already covered, but speed necessity is greatly lessened by item #1.

There is a better way -- Open up a work-related program such as MS Word to a document that you're working on. Then open your browser window. When you want to fast-tab back to the work program, just hold down ALT and press and release the TAB key and then release the ALT key. It will flip you instantly back to the last program. Much faster than mouse clicking. If you're worried about someone walking in on you, just keep your thumb on the ALT key and your pinky (or forefinger if you're a hunt-and-peck typist) on the TAB key and be ready for action. 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

Incidentally, I feel a little like I'm explaining to someone how to sneak their bong through airport security. yay.gif

There is a better way -- Open up a work-related program such as MS Word to a document that you're working on. Then open your browser window. When you want to fast-tab back to the work program, just hold down ALT and press and release the TAB key and then release the ALT key. It will flip you instantly back to the last program. Much faster than mouse clicking. If you're worried about someone walking in on you, just keep your thumb on the ALT key and your pinky (or forefinger if you're a hunt-and-peck typist) on the TAB key and be ready for action. 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

Incidentally, I feel a little like I'm explaining to someone how to sneak their bong through airport security. yay.gif

Ya Scott I'm aware of the Alt-Tab feature, but the detailed explanation leaves no doubt, that and your posting total 27_laughing.gif, about the intricate knowledge you have with respect to posting on the boards anywhere and everywhere. Though I'm sure you have an office with a door and a view ta boot.

Ya Scott I'm aware of the Alt-Tab feature, but the detailed explanation leaves no doubt, that and your posting total 27_laughing.gif, about the intricate knowledge you have with respect to posting on the boards anywhere and everywhere. Though I'm sure you have an office with a door and a view ta boot.

yay.gif I can see my house from here. And Divadrabnud's office, too! headbang.gif

Yup, I have spent too much time here when I'm at work. I work in the production department of a bio-tech company and sometimes we are really busy, sometimes it is slow. There is an unenforced rule that we are not supposed to use the internet at work, unless work related. However, nobody really cares as long as you get your work done. But since I have spent up to an hour a day here at times, if they knew, I'd "get a talking to". So I figure, until I get my first warning, I might as well not worry about it. Yes, I have gotten a little behind at times due to this, but not enough so to affect anyone else.

But, I do get in trouble with my wife sometimes. She works late and gets home at about 9:00 p.m. If I am down here on the boards once that she is home, I get the "you have all day to be with them, are the comic people more important or me?". So no more boardin' after 9:00 for me unless I want to be dealt the guilt trip.

Anyway, with that said, I do think much of the time spent here is worthwhile, and it is addictive as many people have already said. I would not be looking forwards to Wondercon or San Diego nearly as much had it not been for you guys. Not just 'cuz many of you will be there, but spending time here has made me even more excited about comics, and has opened my eyes up to new areas I would have otherwise not encountered.

So let work slide a little. As long as I can do it without it being much of a problem, I'll continue. devil.gif

No, I've always been extremely inefficient at work, so these boards have just taken the place of all the other things I'd do to procrastinate. But seriously, my work rate really does improve starting at about 3 pm, which is when most of the last of the US west coast members have signed off and before our European friends have signed on.