• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has This Forum Affected Your Work Performance?

55 posts in this topic

No, I've always been extremely inefficient at work, so these boards have just taken the place of all the other things I'd do to procrastinate. But seriously, my work rate really does improve starting at about 3 pm, which is when most of the last of the US west coast members have signed off and before our European friends have signed on.

I do my best written work between the hours of midnight and 6 a.m. I know that sounds nuts, but it's true. I can write like a maniac and am blessed (or cursed, depending on how you look at it) with the ability to pull a double-all-nighter and still be reasonably coherent at the end of it. I had five or six of those last year. Trade secrets misappropriation cases call for a lot of that, because from the time the panicked client calls to tell you that an employee made off with his entire hard drive full of customer contacts and a job offer from the company's number one competitor, you pretty much need to have a TRO in hand within 48 hours to make the client happy.

Of course, I sleep for about 16 hours straight at the end of those marathon sessions and feel like I've been on the receiving end of about 96 donkey punches for the next few days, but it's all part of the job. 27_laughing.gif

Of course, I sleep for about 16 hours straight at the end of those marathon sessions and feel like I've been on the receiving end of about 96 donkey punches for the next few days, but it's all part of the job.

sign-funnypost.gif

ROFLMFAO!!!!! I have no idea what you mean by that FFB, but it is so funny!

Of course, I sleep for about 16 hours straight at the end of those marathon sessions and feel like I've been on the receiving end of about 96 donkey punches for the next few days, but it's all part of the job.

sign-funnypost.gif

If you ever go to Mexico...Tell the locals you want to see the "Donkey Show".

No further explanation will be necessary. gossip.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

If you ever go to Mexico...Tell the locals you want to see the "Donkey Show".

No further explanation will be necessary. gossip.gif

No, that's not it either. A while ago I got an email from one of my old law school buddies with a bunch of disgusting terms in it. "Donkey punch" was one of them, and now we use the phrase in a more general sense when we are BS'ing to indicate that something bad has happened to someone (rather than using it with its actual meaning). Go to www.dirty-proverbs.com/classics.php and you'll find a definition for donkey punch. WARNING -- if you are easily offended (or even not so easily offended) don't click that link. These terms all have grossly offensive meanings and I won't be held responsible for your bruised sensibilities.

I do my best written work between the hours of midnight and 6 a.m.

You are not alone.

I also work better during the night hours.

Might be I am just hard wired that way, after years of resturant work.Or just the fact that I am a natural night owl.

But gimme a glass of wine, some good music... And I will crank out my best work late at night ... when the normal world is sleeping.

But as you say.. the real world does not ask when, or how you get your work done. And cares not if you are tired when they schedule an 8 am meeting.

Darn that normal , real world .. frustrated.gif

Ze-

Yes, my wife has complained repeatedly about my lack of performance...

Oh.. wait... you said WORK performance didnt you?

Crahp....

Never mind.

foreheadslap.gif

Ze-

She complains to me about it also poke2.gifstooges.gifflowerred.gif

HEY!!!!!

She was drunk at the forum dinner in NY, and only spoke with you because she thought you were the waiter, and she wanted another Cosmo.

Once I explained to her who you were, she wrinkled her nose, made a sour face and said.."you mean they let THAT guy run CGC?"

poke2.gifstooges.gifflowerred.gif

I don't know how all you guys can go on the boards during work hours. It has not negatively affected my work performance since I never go on the boards during work hours. This is more of a proactive decision on my part since I know that I won't be able to get off if I start. As a result, all of my board time has been limited to evenings, weekends, or days off.

Needless to say, this has resulted in my wife complaining that I spend all my free time on the computer chatting with the comic nerds. As a result, by the time I get on the boards sometimes, I am hundreds of posts behind on some of the individual forums and possibly a couple thousand behind on the General Forum.

A positive work related spin-off, however, is that the writing skills component of my job performance evaluation has improved by gaining more confidence and practice for writing audit reports and debriefs. 27_laughing.gifthumbsup2.gif

Ichatting with the comic nerds.

We're geeks not nerds sign-rantpost.gif

Though there is an overlap in usage, nerdism is basically related to intelligence and geekism is related to hobbies.

What makes us geeks is the near-obsessive interest in the minutae of things that no one else cares very much about and the extent to which we let this intrude in our life. thumbsup2.gif

I don't know how all you guys can go on the boards during work hours. It has not negatively affected my work performance since I never go on the boards during work hours. This is more of a proactive decision on my part since I know that I won't be able to get off if I start. As a result, all of my board time has been limited to evenings, weekends, or days off.

Needless to say, this has resulted in my wife complaining that I spend all my free time on the computer chatting with the comic nerds. As a result, by the time I get on the boards sometimes, I am hundreds of posts behind on some of the individual forums and possibly a couple thousand behind on the General Forum.

A positive work related spin-off, however, is that the writing skills component of my job performance evaluation has improved by gaining more confidence and practice for writing audit reports and debriefs. 27_laughing.gifthumbsup2.gif

I'd tell your wife to read my sig line, but somehow it just doesn't have the same effect when applied in rebuttle to a female.

What makes us geeks is the near-obsessive interest in the minutae of things that no one else cares very much about and the extent to which we let this intrude in our life. thumbsup2.gif

This may be true, but we are not alone. We are outnumbered by the hundreds in terms of the same traits held by many sports fans. Same with all other collectibles and hobbies. My mother is the same way with house plants as I am with comics. My wife about weather facts and theories. My friends at work about sports. I used to know a group of guys that felt this way about guns, and specific types of ammo, which is best, faster, more powerful, more accurate, etc. As a matter of fact, we are quite normal with our obsessiveness.