• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My first OS guide

106 posts in this topic

I mean... YOU may prefer another guide list of prices. BUT - - - most of the rest of us use Overstreet, so how reliable then IS any other Guide??

As far as I can tell, the prices in the 2004 OS guide almost exactly match the price guide source that I use. Maybe CPG uses the OS to post their prices. If they do, great. That means I don't have to shell out $30 on the guide. wink.gif

I mean... YOU may prefer another guide list of prices. BUT - - - most of the rest of us use Overstreet, so how reliable then IS any other Guide??

As far as I can tell, the prices in the 2004 OS guide almost exactly match the price guide source that I use. Maybe CPG uses the OS to post their prices. If they do, great. That means I don't have to shell out $30 on the guide. wink.gif

CPG is a good site for viewing comic book covers, but all it does is apply a formula to the NM value to figure out the VG or VF value. For instance, ASM #1 in 8.0 condition is listed around $22,000 (that's not very realistic). I agree that the OS guide needs to separate out some of GA books that are lumped together to distinguish between classic and non-classic covers, but it's still the most comprehensive guide around.

CPG is a good site for viewing comic book covers, but all it does is apply a formula to the NM value to figure out the VG or VF value. For instance, ASM #1 in 8.0 condition is listed around $22,000 (that's not very realistic). I agree that the OS guide needs to separate out some of GA books that are lumped together to distinguish between classic and non-classic covers, but it's still the most comprehensive guide around.

That's very true. NM values are similar to OS, but yes I forgot that they always use 95% of that value for NM/VF, or always 55% for a FN book. sorry.gif

thats fine.... nowadays the market moves so fast NONE of the price sources are perfect! If all you want is a "price" for a book, then the free CPG works for you. But if you want to know what 90% (?) of the rest of us look to for "the price" of a book, you must also consult Overstreet. That's all.

That's very true. NM values are similar to OS, but yes I forgot that they always use 95% of that value for NM/VF, or always 55% for a FN book. sorry.gif

Overstreet also uses a formula to compute all their prices by grade too. However over the years thay have developd MANY different spreads to do the math. many books are 1-3-9 for G - F - NM-. But if you look at teh big key books, you see they have stretched the upper end to 1-3-35 in some cases and use almost every combination inbetwen This was a positive step. Because as NM books keep selling for such big $$$s, a strict 1-3-9 would have seriously OVERprices Fines and VGs etc...

When do we get hints of changes to this year's book? The 9.2 thing last year was huge.
893naughty-thumb.gif

We want the scoop. We deserve the scoop.

Give us the damn scoop. sumo.gif

I thought we already had a thread on this topic a couple of months ago. I thought the conclusion was that this huge 9.2 change from last year was going to be reversed for the Bronze and newer books to more accurately reflect the current market conditions.

Only question was whether they would lower the GA bar to 9.0 and raised the Modern bar all the way up to 9.6. I believe the general response was that OS takes everything one step at a time and this complete fine tuning would take a couple of years to do. confused-smiley-013.gif

so how do they treat title that start in on eage and continue through the next ages, like Superman, Batman, Spidey etc? I hope you wouldnt suggest they have three tp five entries for each... GA, SA , BA. CA, MA ?? I dont know exactly which issue # wasw th efirst BA issue of each title . do YOU? and I sure dont want to keep looking up Superman 5 times in 5 different sections ....

A valid point, that's why I said "difficult" but not "impossible". Plus all have dates on when they were published, Superman published in August of 1956 would be GA or Atom Age to some and September of 1956 would be the 1st SA Superman.

sleeping.gif
You can change your avatar and sig now! cloud9.gif

I know, but I like 'em. tongue.gif

Probably change them tomorrow when I go to work. Christo_pull_hair.gif

Because they are doing so well at the moment? They'll get a dose of reality when they play a real team on the road! yay.gif

frown.gif Sadly, I have to agree. They haven't played well all year, and the ACC is just way too stacked. Wake and your boys are so strong, and Tech has basically the same team that played in the title game. Duke is Duke. And with Julius Hodge playing in what has to be his 10th season, NC State is pretty good too. tongue.gif

Plus, we lost Strawberry for the season earlier this week. He was our best defender. frown.gif

You guys need to follow a real basketball team. Like my alma mater ... Virginia.

foreheadslap.gif

No, your getting into the eventual "Split Market" war on these boards. The "In the future-there will be a split market-the "raw" and the "slab".

I tried very, very hard to stay away from buying the slabbed at premium prices. But I caved-in after 20 years. Bought my first slabbed books a few months ago, because I was sick and tired of receiving poorly graded books. CGC may not have perfectly repeatable grading, but the spread is a lot narrower than most graders - it seems. Did not mean to sound like a CGC ad. The annoying thing is not being able to read them - guess I will keep a reading copy around. Gee, just what I need - 2 copies of every book. foreheadslap.gif

The next issue comes out in 3 months.

Longest 3 months of the year. I hate waiting.

I know what you mean. Just pre-ordered mine yesterday. I've always wanted to just sit down and read it from A to Z, while checking what my collection is now worth. However, once I get past Amazing Spider-Man, I lose my patience and start checking out my high-end collection.

Yes that's what happend to me too! But then I started reading the OS backwards and it all flowed smoothly and eventually by like february of the next year (!) everything is valued just nicely.