• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR (May-2018)
5 5

1,498 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Wow - I thought 2B was a given the way this movie took off. 

It should but DP2 & Solo will leave it will 2nd week drops 3 & 4 weeks in, crushing it's initial momentum. Might not even last more than 10 weeks in theaters at this rate, factoring in Solo, Oceans 8, Incredibles 2 & JP: Fallen Kindom coming out one week after another.

I'd say approximately 650M dom, 1.3B Int & 1.95B WW.

Disney should have moved up the date 4 - 6 weeks rather than  just one.

Edited by chezmtghut

1 hour ago, chezmtghut said:

It should but DP2 & Solo will leave it will 2nd week drops 3 & 4 weeks in, crushing it's initial momentum. Might not even last more than 10 weeks in theaters at this rate, factoring in Solo, Oceans 8, Incredibles 2 & JP: Fallen Kindom coming out one week after another.

I'd say approximately 650M dom, 1.3B Int & 1.95B WW.

Disney should have moved up the date 4 - 6 weeks rather than  just one.

A movie called Black Panther was released on February 16th.

Infinity War opening on March 30th (or earlier) would've been a bad idea. 2c

I think it would have been perfect.  6 weeks after release is a pretty long time for BP sales to not effect IW sales.  Hindsight 20/20

3 hours ago, Chaos_in_Canada said:

A movie called Black Panther was released on February 16th.

Infinity War opening on March 30th (or earlier) would've been a bad idea. 2c

and Disney was committed to A Wrinkle in Time, so this was never going to happen.  When all is said and done, AIW will do $300MM more than any movie ever released during the "summer"- it did what it was going to do (give or take) given it was never going to be released during the winter holidays.

21 minutes ago, paperheart said:

and Disney was committed to A Wrinkle in Time, so this was never going to happen.  When all is said and done, AIW will do $300MM more than any movie ever released during the "summer"- it did what it was going to do (give or take) given it was never going to be released during the winter holidays.

Good point, even though WiT bombed. Maybe they should have released it @ Christmas & then Infinity Gauntlet next Summer.(shrug) Too much competition right now for any movie to stay relevant for a long period.

Edited by chezmtghut

'Avengers: Infinity War' becomes top-grossing Marvel movie in China

"Avengers: Infinity War" soared to the top of China's box office last weekend, becoming the highest-grossing Marvel film in the Middle Kingdom and the fourth most-successful Hollywood import of all time.

Underscoring the appeal of superhero movies in China, the film pulled in $102 million in box office receipts for a total of $300.6 million after 10 days, according to film consulting firm Artisan Gateway.

The action film was helped by strong audience reviews. On the Chinese movie-rating website douban.com, "Infinity War" scored an 8.4 out of 10, the highest among Marvel's productions, above "Avengers: Age of Ultron" and "Captain America: Civil War."

The third installment of the "Avengers" franchise is the highest imported film in 2018.

This movie deserves every dollar it makes. I was hoping to see it become the highest domestic grosser, but that's impossible now.

2 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

we can still have some fun pulling for 2B worldwide, lar.

I'm pretty sure that's going to happen.

1 hour ago, Larryw7 said:

I'm pretty sure that's going to happen.

We shall see.

RGKLl75.jpg

It has $150M to go. But since it is only at Day 29, there is still time for the worldwide to keep this going. Especially if more movies open up like Solo.

I thought it was cool that The Dark Knight was the second highest domestic grossing film after Titanic, and only the second film in history to break the 500 million barrier. Now movies reaching 600 million dollars is common. The cinematic world has changed quite a bit in just a few years.

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

Infinity War just jumped $150M from $2B to $95M from the goal.

83aGsFM.jpg

Can it hit the mark as the capstone movie of the entire franchise to date?

:news:It already has. Domestically I'd say Black Panther will hold that title unless we start seeing drops under 30% weekly. If it lasts 10 more weeks @ 40% drops we can expect roughly 23.3, 13.98, 8.39, 5.03, 3.02, 1.81, 1.09, .65, .39, .23 = 57.89 mill @ 30% drops over 12 weeks is roughly 27.18, 19.03, 13.32, 9.32, 6.53, 4.57, 3.2, 2.24, 1.57, 1.1, .77, .54 = 89.37 mill more domestically. These #'s include Memorial day weekend also. So 40% in 10 is 605.19 + 57.89 = 663.08 & 30% in 12 is 605.19 + 89.37 = 694.56, neither of which are practical given current release schedules. We may see a 35% drop this week on account of Solo being a flop & Memorial day weekend, but I don't expect that trend to continue. Should end around 650 domestically.

What I found most impressive about this movie was how easy it as to follow.

Considering how many characters they had to juggle it could have easily been a hot mess, overly complicated and a failure. It was masterful.

DC needs to take note. They could have made BvS into 3 multiple movies and it would have been a hit.

Great work, Marvel. Feige is a genius and will be remembered as the mastermind when this Golden era of superhero movies passes.

5 hours ago, VintageComics said:

What I found most impressive about this movie was how easy it as to follow.

Considering how many characters they had to juggle it could have easily been a hot mess, overly complicated and a failure. It was masterful.

DC needs to take note. They could have made BvS into 3 multiple movies and it would have been a hit.

Great work, Marvel. Feige is a genius and will be remembered as the mastermind when this Golden era of superhero movies passes.

Well put.  Multiple locales, star characters galore, and yet...flowed seamlessly.  

To this day, the only thing I remember about BvS is Wonder Woman.  But the whole of Infinity War is definitely imprinted on my brain.

15 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

650 seems low.  will be @625 thru memorial day, and I can't see it having only 25m in the tank from there. 

I agree & initially thought it could reach closer to TFA, but that's where the #'s are leading @ current 50% weekly drops. It's too good a movie to be dropping this quickly, so I hope that I'm wrong & it bounces back, but I'm just following the #'s current trend while factoring in the release schedule. This week will definitely get a boost @ 35% drops because of Memorial day, but I expect 50%+ - 60% next week. Let's say 25 mill from Friday through Thursday + 605.19 = 630.19, then add 11.25 (55%), 6.19 (45%), 3.4 (45%), 1.53 (55% JW:FK), .84 (45%), .46 (45%), .25 (45%), .14 (45%) = 654.25 mill in 13 weeks. It all depends how other releases fare at the BO the next few months. If Solo had been a success AIW would have probably landed closer to 15 mill Memorial day weekend rather than 20+. I'm going to see it again for a 5th time tomorrow :cloud9:& will probably go a few more times next month. I loved DP2 but AIW is by far my favorite Superhero film to date & I expect AIG to surpass it. They just need to set a release date with 6+ weeks of below average films scheduled or during the Holidays & it will crush Black Panther domestically.

Edited by chezmtghut