• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR (May-2018)
5 5

1,498 posts in this topic

On 5/7/2018 at 3:27 PM, Aweandlorder said:

I tend to not enjoy movies that have so much hype so I suspect that that was the case with this. It was a well produced movie (saw it at IMAX 3D Lincoln sq dead center seats which are optimal) but there was just soooo much going on and at parts it felt confusing. If I were to compare it to, say GOTG or BP, 2 movies which I enjoyed, I wouldn't even know where to start. GOTG was a self contained movie, fun, action packed, just sit and enjoy the ride. BP was the same but with an even deeper emotional level. Infinity War had sooooo much going on for it, it really did feel Iike reading a super commercial marvel cross over comic where they throw everyone and the kitchen sink just to get everyone's interest. Like a "contest of champions" or "DC vs Marvel". 

Another thing is that this movie was much darker than your average marvel movie. Much. Much darker. I mean I can't really believe a child would enjoy any of this UNLESS they were really into the comic stories and knew what was going on. Does Marvel try to be like DC now? 

Humor wise, I felt like the jokes were mediocre at best. And some were just waaay overplayed. Just one example of the top of my head: the part where drax was eavesdropping, was funny asf, but then the joke kept going for another 10-15 seconds. Same with Starlord signaling to his crew to go right and they pass him by. I was laughing my a** off, but then he kept on saying it 2-3 times again. Come on. 

The ending was without a doubt very disappointing. I mean, I went with a friend who's not into comic books, and she just looked at me with opened eyes trying to get an answer from "the comic expert" as if saying "ok, so tell me wtf did just happen" and I totally had nothing to say. I mean did I miss something? Or did they all die and this is a cliffhanger for the next movie. Nahhhh, Marvel would never do that. Wrong

so yeah, sorry to say guys, not my cup of tea. 

Those are pretty much my thoughts as well, except I enjoyed the jokes and had no issues with their delivery. It was too downbeat and dark for my tastes and though my family enjoyed it, I don’t think any of us were expecting it to be so heavy.

I also thought it was too long and too full of fighting.

I liked it okay, but it’s definitely not my favorite Marvel movie.

Interesting. A lot of the so-so reactions here on the boards are similar to ones I am hearing at work. People are having trouble with it being a more serious/darker/deeper film than the standard Marvel film. While I thought it was awesome because of that (and watching Thanos kick azz was fun), I guess the general public prefers the light-hearted Disney touch with their hero movies as well. 

Edited by kimik

Frankly, I loved the darker tone of the film.  To me, it signifies the film is much more mature so to speak.  If you think about the Nolan films and Logan, they are all similarly dark and simultaneously feel very much like movies for adult audiences.  There is an added layer of depth and emotion that elevates these types of movies above the rest within the genre.  Above the standard popcorn action comedy flick.  I think when an audience thinks about the characters...thinks about the emotional heart ache and sacrifices...that person becomes a little more invested in the film than they would with mindless dribble.  And when that happens, when a movie sticks with you and sparks conversation, it achieves more than being a simple comic book film.  The DCEU movies have attempted this, but they've lost sight of who their characters were originally to the point that they're no longer recognizable by fans/audience members.

For everyone who complained Infinity War was too dark...Incredibles 2 is coming out this summer.  There's your lighthearted Disney hero movie.

I loved this movie! Loved the darker tone - my main complaint about Marvel movies is how light they are even when terrible things are happening - I thought the light tone of Ragnarok kind of ruined what could have been a great movie. 

This was just an epic movie, with great action and great character development of Thanos. They also finally have a great villain - who is just ruthless and powerful. Every other Marvel villain has been underwhelming IMO - except for Loki (but again quite light). 

Cannot wait for Part two! 

I rather enjoyed Ego.  A villain who's purpose wasn't death, but procreation.  It just so happens that in order for him to spread, others have to die.

I also liked what they did with Zemo.  I get that a lot of people didn't like him because he wasn't in any action sequences like your typical villain.  But his calculatedness was refreshing to me.  And being motivated by the consequences and fallout of AoU and the love of his family was well done imo.

5 hours ago, kimik said:

Interesting. A lot of the so-so reactions here on the boards are similar to ones I am hearing at work. People are having trouble with it being a more serious/darker/deeper film than the standard Marvel film. While I thought it was awesome because of that (and watching Thanos kick azz was fun), I guess the general public prefers the light-hearted Disney touch with their hero movies as well. 

My work thought it rocked!

I've seen the film twice.  For 40 years, I've regarded Superman The Movie as the standard-bearer of all super-hero films, but Avengers Infinity War now enjoys that distinction -- best comic book film ever made, imho.  The pacing of the film was so good, it doesn't seem like 2:40 at all.  What the Russos pulled off from a directorial and story-telling perspective was miraculous.  There is a backdrop of 18 prior Marvel films and a massive cast, yet they got it all to gel together.  The last 15 minutes or so of the film were breathtaking, and regarding the last 5 minutes in particular, it was incredibly silent in my theater, with the exception of the occasional sniffle here and there.   9.5/10.

8 hours ago, kimik said:

Based on the 92% audience score on RT and the eventual $2BB WW box office, you're last comment makes no sense

12 hours ago, kimik said:

I don't understand why people have a problem with a slightly darker tone, how many Marvel movies are we in now? Come on, change is as good as a holiday, otherwise its just too same old same old cookie cutter Marvel.

Edited by bane

1 hour ago, bane said:

I don't understand why people have a problem with a slightly darker tone, how many Marvel movies are we in now? Come on, change is as good as a holiday, otherwise its just too same old same old cookie cutter Marvel.

I heard they are going to double on the Disney tone in the second movie. More laughs, more hugs = mo money 

8 hours ago, paperheart said:

Based on the 92% audience score on RT and the eventual $2BB WW box office, you're last comment makes no sense

this.  the geeks on the movie thread and his co-workers do not comprise the "general public."

2 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

this.  the geeks on the movie thread and his co-workers do not comprise the "general public."

Someone said something not over-the-top in support of this film?

aFTDkwF.jpg

:baiting: