• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Secret Wars Annoucement - Today 3 PM

Marvel Secret Wars Annoucement - 3 PM Today  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Marvel Secret Wars Annoucement - 3 PM Today

74 posts in this topic

aw ...

For those interested in it, prepare yourselves for:

100 variants of every issue of this event

a handful of retailer variants that are ridiculously overpriced

a crappy plot that needs gps to navigate

disappointment that some cool things went away

disappointment that some crappy things stayed the same.

a reboot in 2-5 years

giving up your completionist ways.

aw ...

a reboot in 2-5 years

Wash,rinse, repeat. :D

aw ...

a reboot in 2-5 years

Renumbering and endless variants are the two main reasons why i stopped collecting moderns. I'll buy the occasional book here and there. A cool cover i like maybe. But for all intents and purposes i am out.

There are thousands of older books for me to go after anyway so it works out better for me. Thanks Marvel and DC :hi:

I'm looking forward to it. I really mean it. Last Marvel comic I bought was an issue of the young Avengers series, but I'll give this one a shot.

+1

This one I will give a shot. Why?

I think Disney might have some influence on this one to try to get Marvel back on track to the glory days like between 1961 to 1992.

When asked, Quesada reportedly said, "It's magic." Quesada then realized that he was working off of seven year old notes meant for Spider-man.

I knew it!

A seven-year-old was writing all these stories for Marvel.

When all is said and done, I suspect we'll see a single cohesive Marvel comic universe more in tune with the past and upcoming Marvel Studios movies.

Perhaps, but I'm not sure why they would even bother to do that.

The problem with a single, cohesive comic universe is that it's been tried before and never holds together. It seems to work for a while and then gets all convoluted again. I'm not sure why they would even try to do that anymore. It's not like it's going to lead to a new form of continuity. It's not like it's going to put a stop to endless reboots, re-imaginings, ret-cons, and character deaths and then re-births.

If they want to align the comic universe with the movie universe, then fine but don't try to maintain (a mostly) cohesive continuity like existed in the 60s through 80s because they will fail at it.

There are thousands of older books for me to go after anyway so it works out better for me. Thanks Marvel and DC :hi:

That's exactly where I am. It took me a while but I finally realized that Marvel and DC have done me a huge favor. Not looking back at all. For those who enjoy moderns, enjoy! They aren't for me.

That's exactly where I am. It took me a while but I finally realized that Marvel and DC have done me a huge favor. Not looking back at all. For those who enjoy moderns, enjoy! They aren't for me.

Me too.

I buy the occasional Modern Marvel just to see how they're doing (like a couple books a year).

Now I just re-read my old stuff and occasionally chase a silver age book.

My entertainment from current Marvel comes from the movies. Which I like quite a lot.

When all is said and done, I suspect we'll see a single cohesive Marvel comic universe more in tune with the past and upcoming Marvel Studios movies.

The problem with a single, cohesive comic universe is that it's been tried before and never holds together. It seems to work for a while and then gets all convoluted again. I'm not sure why they would even try to do that anymore. It's not like it's going to lead to a new form of continuity. It's not like it's going to put a stop to endless reboots, re-imaginings, ret-cons, and character deaths and then re-births.

If they want to align the comic universe with the movie universe, then fine but don't try to maintain (a mostly) cohesive continuity like existed in the 60s through 80s because they will fail at it.

Yeah.

I guess continuity is easier with a small company of creators and a limited number of books. Maybe even then, after 10 or so years of publication it may get difficult to keep things in line.

How do you keep from telling the same stories over and over again while sticking with an established cannon that limits story possibilities?

Yeah.

I guess continuity is easier with a small company of creators and a limited number of books. Maybe even then, after 10 or so years of publication it may get difficult to keep things in line.

How do you keep from telling the same stories over and over again while sticking with an established cannon that limits story possibilities?

By resisting the temptation to engage in world changing storylines to get short term sales bumps and a cornucopia of variants that then have to be undone/retconned out of existence because they've painted themselves into a corner. One has to wonder where we'd be if Marvel stayed the course in the mid-90s and didn't start their string of renumberings and new breed of retools/retcons and deaths/returns of every major character that resulted in this mess of a continuity. The ultimate universe, enjoyable as it was for a while, simply turned into another version of this problem after a decade.

Too bad Marvel can't just put Miller back on DD, Byrne on FF & X-Men, Simonson back on Thor, McFarlane on Spidey and Brunner on Dr. Strange. That'd be a good start.

I'll just re-read those instead of whatever marketing department this new stuff is.

Peace,

Chip

Too bad Marvel can't just put Miller back on DD, Byrne on FF & X-Men, Simonson back on Thor, McFarlane on Spidey and Brunner on Dr. Strange. That'd be a good start.

I'll just re-read those instead of whatever marketing department this new stuff is.

Peace,

Chip

Fit Kirby and Ditko in there somewhere, and I'm in! :grin:

...and Buscema, Romita (you know which ones) and Colan as well, now that I'm fantasizing.

I'm curious to see how this will play out. Personally, I was never a fan of the "Ultimate" Universe and it did nothing but confuse me. In theory it sounds like a great idea, but it does sound recycled, likely because it is. I still buy moderns, there are a few titles I read, DC aside, i read Spider-Man, Deadpool, and maybe an Avengers title. I am getting rather tired of the same old thing though, too many variants to care and the constant rebooting. That said, Marvel has earned my rust for one more round. I really liked Superior Spider-Man so they bought themselves some time. We'll see what happens, however I too will end up buying nothing but older issues, and read Moderns digitally or in TPB form...

I still like parallel universe stories that are inventive, imaginary, What If? scenarios, much less so short-lasting, cleaning-up exercises where the intervening walls come down and which ultimately descend into chaotic, overblown slugfests.

Not for me, anymore.

Peace,

Chip

Fit Kirby and Ditko in there somewhere, and I'm in! :grin:

...and Buscema, Romita (you know which ones) and Colan as well, now that I'm fantasizing.

Wow, with that lineup, and $5.99 cover prices, I'd go broke! If they threw in a reboot of some of the New Universe and Ultraverse titles I'd need a second job; still, I'd pay! :cloud9:

So that was it?

Marvel Announces SECRET WARS: LAST DAYS

----------------------

“What would you do if you learned today was your last day on Earth?” says Marvel Editor-in-Chief Axel Alonso. “That’s the question your favorite Marvel heroes are going to ask themselves in their LAST DAYS story lines as they brace for Secret Wars and the end of the Marvel Universe.” Battleworld is set to transform the Marvel Universe as you know it. But before Secret Wars can begin, this chapter may come to a close. What will our heroes do with their final hours? What secrets will be unearthed? Who will they want to spend their LAST DAYS with?

“LAST DAYS is the first of three new brandings for series unique to Secret Wars,” says Marvel SVP Sales & Marketing David Gabriel. “Each branding will bear its own unique trade dress and logo treatment, clearly defining its relationship to the main Secret Warsstory. This will make it easier for fans to experience the full scope of Secret Wars. Don’t dare miss these epic tales as our heroes face their impending obliteration!”

----------------------