• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Moving Your Comics

27 posts in this topic

So I'm probably getting ahead of myself, but I wanted to reach out if there were any progressive ideas as to how to move a collection. Luckily(unfortunatelky) My collection is not huge, I have about 6 Long Boxes and 2 Short boxes.

Assuming that you will not be able to fit all the boxes in the car, how would you go about it? The move would be 1500+ miles. I've thought of taking the best books witth me and putting the rest with one of those Mover Pods, thought of mailing it to myself (then quickly dismissed that notioin) Just curious if there are any other ideas or is it pretty simple? Should I sell a ton of them?

For those curious, we MAY be moving from Phoenix to join the 12th man up in Seattle Land :wishluck:

Waiting for a callback, I thought the interview went great....which worries me

Are you planning to use a moving company for the rest of your possessions/furniture? If so, I'd pull your highest value comics and put them in their own long/short box that you carry with you in your car with your clothes & ship the rest with the moving company (wrapped, banded & on a pallet).

Moving companies can sometimes take a few weeks to get your stuff from your old to new homes (depending on the company), so taking clothes & your highest value possessions with you in your car/truck is generally for the best.

Well.....yes and no. We may not need a moving company as we might just keep most if not all the furniture in our house in Phx. In Seattle we'd start fresh as it were. Probably sleep on the floor until we get furniture for the new place.

As someone that has moved many times, consolidate the "good books" to something that you can take in the car with you. Tape the heck out of everything else and throw it on the moving truck/pod.

If you use a moving company, get a guote in writing from a reputable company and as someone else said, take your valuable comics with you. Mainly, because if you go with the cheaper rate (usually so much per pound), they may quote a price and later tell you the weight was under estimated. Which means to get your stuff back you have to pay more (especially if you have a lot of books or heavy items which can be a nightmare. My best advice is to rent a moving truck, hire a couple of locals to load the heavy stuff, pack your comics so they won't shift, and hit the road.

Almost forgot, regardless of how you move, make sure you check the weather. I live in Washington and up until April/May, the mountain passes can get snowed in and chains may be required. Best of luck getting the job.

pods are so expensive

you can put insurance on pods and you have them stored in a climate controlled warehouse....the question then begins how much money worth of comics are we talking about here?

I would probably take the high end stuff with me and ship the rest. I may get it insured, not certain yet. Then again, it all revolves around us moving in the first place.

6 long boxes and 2 short boxes? Every last one of them would go with me in the car,just opinion. (shrug)

Just don't take me to the shed. :wishluck:

This past summer, I moved from NY to GA. My wife and I each have a Honda CR-V. My wife put our two kids in her CR-V with her. I folded the rear seats down in mine and loaded in my 20-24 short boxes (every last comic I own)...I had them floor to ceiling in the back and in the front passenger seat and floorboard. The moving truck took everything else.

That two-car caravan of ours was hilarious...the wife and kids in one car...me and the comics in the other. :roflmao:

That two-car caravan of ours was hilarious...the wife and kids in one car...me and the comics in the other. :roflmao:

Sounds like a very peacful ride. There are two times in life when a man needs to be alone.

When he's in the isolation booth for the $60,00.00 dollar answer.

And when he's bonding with his comics.

Sounds like a very peacful ride. There are two times in life when a man needs to be alone.

When he's in the isolation booth for the $60,00.00 dollar answer.

And when he's bonding with his comics.

Well said!!!!