• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM ASM #129 MJ insert

33 posts in this topic

I love the ones with the inserts, as the insert keeps the book in better shape, despite the minor wear.

What I don’t like about early Mark Jewelers (or National Diamond?) ones is the cardboard is very stiff and thus it makes difficult to read the central pages.

I have a Fear #17 with both the MJ and an Alka Seltzer ad between the cover and the book… :cloud9:

I agree about the insert keeping the book in good condition and yes, this one in particular is really stiff. Impossible to open the book entirely without stressing the spine (which I won't obviously). But than again, I wasn't planning on reading this particular book ;)

Nice Book. 7.0/7.5 (thumbs u

My OO copy (CGC 9.0) also has the MJ insert as do most of my $.20 books that I purchased in that era. I have to admit that I did not always consider the inserts nice to have and took quite a number of them out at that time.

I agree about the insert keeping the book in good condition and yes, this one in particular is really stiff. Impossible to open the book entirely without stressing the spine (which I won't obviously). But than again, I wasn't planning on reading this particular book ;)

I see what you mean about opening without stressing the spine… but I would never be able not to read it… reprints aren’t the same thing, unless you have a low grade reader copy… :D

... took quite a number of them out at that time.

Is this a bad thing? I don't see much differences in value for these books. Did you live near a military base since you got a number of them? ;)

I see what you mean about opening without stressing the spine… but I would never be able not to read it… reprints aren’t the same thing, unless you have a low grade reader copy… :D

I've two Dutch and two US copies. Both US versions aren't readers ;)

Thank you all. The range so far is 7.0-8.5. I got it listed as a 9.2 on eBay and seeing your estimates I paid too much :(

Probably yes… a 9.2 should be pretty much flawless… minor flaws that keep it outside the NM/MT range. Minor spine stress is allowed, corner a bit soft too, but not much more I think. hm

Is this a bad thing? I don't see much differences in value for these books. Did you live near a military base since you got a number of them? ;)

I spent a lot of my youth growing up on various military bases in Germany where I first became a collector of comics. There is not much difference in value to most collectors, but when I finally sold on Ebay around 300 books with the inserts a few years ago, I did find a few serious collectors of them that were very competitive for these books, week after week for over a year while I sold them off 3-6/week.

I spent a lot of my youth growing up on various military bases in Germany where I first became a collector of comics. There is not much difference in value to most collectors, but when I finally sold on Ebay around 300 books with the inserts a few years ago, I did find a few serious collectors of them that were very competitive for these books, week after week for over a year while I sold them off 3-6/week.

There's definitely a value bump when the inserts are present in keys, and again if the book has a star stamp(s). That may off set whatever you feel you might have over-paid. Non keys, not so much but they're always neat to find and not very common as GI's would typically rip them out for the very reasons others have stated. (thumbs u

-J.