• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

killer JIM #83 on pedigree....

106 posts in this topic

I can't help but think there is something fishy with those prices, especially the books in the 140s. 151 9.6 W, in all its semi-rarity in high grade, is up there, and can't sell at $350 (I tried $275 yeahok.gif ), and 144 (which sold somewhere for $275 this month and has 18 9.6s and 3 9.8s) and 146($222 this month) sell for $500? Off-White pages on each. Riiiight.

I don't really know what I mean by fishy, but gosh, if you happen to have a bunch of high grade Spideys you want to unload, you are certainly served by prices like that, whether they are open market prices or not. And these were not open market prices.

And since they were pre-sold, I'd have to guess they went to one buyer. Is there more than one guy out there willing to pay that much over GPA for all those books? =)

893whatthe.gifShaq just dumped a $325 000+ Rolls as a wedding gift to Trump (whose wife was wearing a $100 000 wedding dress). IF you want the best money is usually no object when you have it. What % of the buyer's dis-posable income is really being spent here? Who knows?

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think anything "fishy" is going on. It's more likely that Doug found the "right" buyer who was willing to pay to get a piece of his run. Speculation of course, but it's not out of the question. I don't think those prices could be duplicated, though.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have no inside information on this, but what you said makes sense. Someone offered him a boatload of money to sell certain books from his run, and he did. The buyer got what he wanted and Doug got what he wanted.

Plus, all the later issues were pedigrees so that probably had some effect.

Remember, it only takes one motivated buyer to have a book sell for an extreme price. Doug use to be that motivated buyer, now he's the motivated seller.

Now I do have inside information.

Yes, someone made Doug and offer he couldn't refuse. From my conversation with Doug, he didn't seem to heartbroken, as basically, he thinks that he could eventually get these issues back (at least in CGC 9.4), unlike say his early FF's.

And check out the rest of the new arrivals section for some record shatterting bronze ASM sales. 893whatthe.gif

Holy CHIT, look at that Spidey 86 CGC 9.6!!!! 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif It's got absolutely PERFECT QP and PQ.

Yeah, that one was the most impressive of the run. That price makes me feel good about what I paid for my "perfect QP" 9.2 Western Penn copy.

yay.gif It's a beauty, isn't it?

Loving my FF#52 by the way. cloud9.gif

Pretty much listed as sold. I got on just as the 86 was listed and it was already sold.. then a bunch more popped up and all were sold. Since they were already sale pending, they were obviously sold prior to listing.

After seeing this CoI, perhaps you should've sold your ASM 150 9.6 on Doug's site? 148, 149 for 750 each.. hell even at 500 your 150 would've been a bargain.

I like Doug, but this is one of the things that keeps Pedigreecomics.com from being a "check regularly" venue for me. It seems like the really good stuff is already gone by the time I see it. frown.gif

Quote:

I don't think anything "fishy" is going on. It's more likely that Doug found the "right" buyer who was willing to pay to get a piece of his run. Speculation of course, but it's not out of the question. I don't think those prices could be duplicated, though.

I have no inside information on this, but what you said makes sense. Someone offered him a boatload of money to sell certain books from his run, and he did. The buyer got what he wanted and Doug got what he wanted.

Plus, all the later issues were pedigrees so that probably had some effect.

Remember, it only takes one motivated buyer to have a book sell for an extreme price. Doug use to be that motivated buyer, now he's the motivated seller.

Now I do have inside information.

Yes, someone made Doug and offer he couldn't refuse. From my conversation with Doug, he didn't seem to heartbroken, as basically, he thinks that he could eventually get these issues back (at least in CGC 9.4), unlike say his early FF's.

If that's how it happened, then I guess I don't feel so bad for not seeing the book in time. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I like Doug, but this is one of the things that keeps Pedigreecomics.com from being a "check regularly" venue for me. It seems like the really good stuff is already gone by the time I see it.

The other way to go, is to check regularly with him through emails, so you know what's coming up (or might be coming up). Think of it this way. Dealers buy books to put on their site, but end up selling to a known customer before hand. So the book never even shows on their site.

Doug's way shows everyone what those Pre-sold books went for, so if you are interested in a copy, you at least have some idea what they go for.

And you have to be honest, almost all those Pre-Sold books go for prices that you or I don't want to pay. The reason they are Pre-Sold is someone made a substantial offer, or the books wouldn't have even been sold.

Since I am new to the boards and haven't had a chance to look over all the past posts and since we are on the topic of high priced ASMs, does anyone have any guesses as to what the The Amazing Spider-Man #19 (Marvel, 1964) CGC MT 9.9 Off-white to white pages in Heritage is going to sell for? Looks like a beauty but is the cover a little yellow?

Chris

I like Doug, but this is one of the things that keeps Pedigreecomics.com from being a "check regularly" venue for me. It seems like the really good stuff is already gone by the time I see it.

The other way to go, is to check regularly with him through emails, so you know what's coming up (or might be coming up). Think of it this way. Dealers buy books to put on their site, but end up selling to a known customer before hand. So the book never even shows on their site.

Doug's way shows everyone what those Pre-sold books went for, so if you are interested in a copy, you at least have some idea what they go for.

And you have to be honest, almost all those Pre-Sold books go for prices that you or I don't want to pay. The reason they are Pre-Sold is someone made a substantial offer, or the books wouldn't have even been sold.

All true, Steve, except for the part about both of us not being willing to pay stupid money occasionally for a book like ASM#86 that I've been looking for in 9.4+ forever. If Doug were a "normal dealer" instead of a pseudo-auction site, I'd agree 100%. But the way he has the site set up, it is designed to feel like everyone gets a shot at the book. Like Murph, I feel frustrated to see that certain books came up but were never really offered for sale to everyone.

On the other hand, if the seller/consignor lists a price and there is a buyer waiting at that price, I can't really begrudge Doug for the fact that he just sells the book. It's no different from what any other dealer does with his books -- the result is just posted publicly for all to see. And at the end of the day, having that information is a good thing, I guess, frustrating though it may be at times when you're not the one who got the book. 27_laughing.gif

Since I am new to the boards and haven't had a chance to look over all the past posts and since we are on the topic of high priced ASMs, does anyone have any guesses as to what the The Amazing Spider-Man #19 (Marvel, 1964) CGC MT 9.9 Off-white to white pages in Heritage is going to sell for? Looks like a beauty but is the cover a little yellow?

Chris

my guess is that it WON'T sell. Im sure the reserve is higher than what any collector will want to pay/

On the other hand, if the seller/consignor lists a price and there is a buyer waiting at that price, I can't really begrudge Doug for the fact that he just sells the book. It's no different from what any other dealer does with his books -- the result is just posted publicly for all to see. And at the end of the day, having that information is a good thing, I guess, frustrating though it may be at times when you're not the one who got the book.

I hear ya there.

You guys should email Doug, if you feel strongly that he shouldn't advertise books that are Pre-Sold. I'm sure he's open for constructive input.

And I appoligize but putting you in the "I need the book, but that price is insane camp". You are free to pay crazy money, if you wish. grin.gif

On the other hand, if the seller/consignor lists a price and there is a buyer waiting at that price, I can't really begrudge Doug for the fact that he just sells the book. It's no different from what any other dealer does with his books -- the result is just posted publicly for all to see. And at the end of the day, having that information is a good thing, I guess, frustrating though it may be at times when you're not the one who got the book.

I hear ya there.

You guys should email Doug, if you feel strongly that he shouldn't advertise books that are Pre-Sold. I'm sure he's open for constructive input.

And I appoligize but putting you in the "I need the book, but that price is insane camp". You are free to pay crazy money, if you wish. grin.gif

I'm not saying that I'm not a member of that camp. It's just that I like to venture outside the clearing every once in a while. 27_laughing.gif

I do think that Doug should not advertise pre-sold books if they are already sold. But I don't have a problem with him fielding offers on them before they sell. On the other hand, if he's going to do that, then he should send emails to the REST of his customer list announcing that it's ok to do that when he's advertising the upcoming availability of these books. Otherwise, it's too much like the car dealer who puts the ad in the paper reading "We're selling new Ford Explorers this weekend for $15,000!!!!" and then you get there and find out there was only one at that price, and it sold to the dealer's brother the minute the dealer opened the store that day. "But hey, here's a Ford Fiesta for sale for only $12,000." If that is the sales tactic, I think Doug will wind up with more than a few people who get frustrated reading about books coming up for sale that list as sold the minute they hit the site.

I have no problem with him pre-selling books and listing them. I just object to the annoucements that bill a "great run of ASMs going to be listed tonight and every one is a 9.6" or something to that effect. It really does make me think I need to jump on-line after 24 is over and get ready to bid on books, which I did!

If the books just showed up on the new arrivals list without any hype, no biggie.

I hear ya there.

I did email him. Great guy, great to talk to, great collector...there are a few books I'd hit the BIN on but they are gone..... confused-smiley-013.gif

I hear ya there.

I did email him. Great guy, great to talk to, great collector...there are a few books I'd hit the BIN on but they are gone..... confused-smiley-013.gif

Doug is probably the nicest dealer/collector your going to find in this business. A real breath of fresh air.

I do think that Doug should not advertise pre-sold books if they are already sold. But I don't have a problem with him fielding offers on them before they sell. On the other hand, if he's going to do that, then he should send emails to the REST of his customer list announcing that it's ok to do that when he's advertising the upcoming availability of these books. Otherwise, it's too much like the car dealer who puts the ad in the paper reading "We're selling new Ford Explorers this weekend for $15,000!!!!" and then you get there and find out there was only one at that price, and it sold to the dealer's brother the minute the dealer opened the store that day. "But hey, here's a Ford Fiesta for sale for only $12,000." If that is the sales tactic, I think Doug will wind up with more than a few people who get frustrated reading about books coming up for sale that list as sold the minute they hit the site.

Scott, I think you hit the nail on the head. On the one hand, it's great that Doug is posting private sales that us little people would otherwise never hear about directly. On the other hand, if it really is pre-sold, then advertising it and making it sound like there's really something to get excited about because there's an opportunity to buy has an element of bait and switch, which I think we all agree is a tactic that is beneath Doug.

As a follow up, looks like someone just paid 500 dollars for a 9.6 of the winnipeg copy of ASM 145. Perhaps it's time for ppl to list their late bronze ASM pedigrees? At these prices, you can't go wrong.

Brian