• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are your thoughts on WizardWorld 2015 PDX?

16 posts in this topic

This was my first Wizard World and I was really surprised by the overall friendliness and generosity of the staff and creators there.

Beforehand I assumed that things were going to be pretty corporate; and while there was some of that element, overall it was very creativity-driven and basically a lot fun. I even was asked to help write an article on Argentine comics for a comics blog.

My only complaint would be that there was not better food, but that's a small gripe. Overall, I'm happy that I went.

Also, I got to talk to Neal Adams for about an hour on Friday, and that guy is hilarious.

Anyone else have anything to report?

McMenamins ......

Ringlers.....

Bagdad Cafe....

both pretty close, and 2 or 3 others near at hand.

McMenamins

Or at Red Robin, two blocks up from the convention center.

This was my first Wizard World and I was really surprised by the overall friendliness and generosity of the staff and creators there.

Beforehand I assumed that things were going to be pretty corporate; and while there was some of that element, overall it was very creativity-driven and basically a lot fun. I even was asked to help write an article on Argentine comics for a comics blog.

My only complaint would be that there was not better food, but that's a small gripe. Overall, I'm happy that I went.

Also, I got to talk to Neal Adams for about an hour on Friday, and that guy is hilarious.

Anyone else have anything to report?

Food was not that good? Have you not eaten at the convention center at SDCC or ECCC? PDX convention food is by far better.

My first WW con as well. It's small. For $85 for 3 days was a waste. It's more like 2 days with preview night...lol

Got to meet local comics shop owners and found 2 places that I like.

Parking was easy to find and it's not like SDCC or ECCC where prices were outrageous or over priced.

As a vendor at the show, I was busy all weekend long. WW is the most organized and professional show I've ever done. This is my second WW show and it simply blows away any show Oregon has ever had. So, from a vendor's viewpoint it was a great show.

As far as their price point on admission, yeah, it is pretty steep. I think if WW can come up with a competitive price formula for admission, that would top it all off. Problem is, WW has a slew of talent under contract and that talent is not cheap. Setting up at the show is not cheap either, but I found it was well worth the price and people were certainly buying at my booth.

It was alright. A ton of cancellations this year. Ethan Van Sciver and Michael Golden never showed up. Just a teaser for ECCC. :whee:

Norman Reedus and Lena Headey also cancelled. I wish I'd had time to hit some of the artists and writers up while there.

As far as shows go, ECCC is still my favorite show to attend.

e.g. The appearance fee for Neal Adams is usually $20k per comicon but perhaps he gives Wizard World a discount for being part of the Wizard tour? Glad the vendors did well.

The way I understand is that WW gets their talent contracted on their tour. The guy from Arrow, Stephen Amell, usually charges $100K for a weekend con. So WW lands him for a flat rate for x number of appearances on their tour. If they have Neal contracted, he's doing well because he also has his booth sales and commissions along with signing fees.

As a vendor at the show, I was busy all weekend long. WW is the most organized and professional show I've ever done. This is my second WW show and it simply blows away any show Oregon has ever had. So, from a vendor's viewpoint it was a great show.

As far as their price point on admission, yeah, it is pretty steep. I think if WW can come up with a competitive price formula for admission, that would top it all off. Problem is, WW has a slew of talent under contract and that talent is not cheap. Setting up at the show is not cheap either, but I found it was well worth the price and people were certainly buying at my booth.

I was far busier and did better at Rose City Con last September but that was two booths, two days and much cheaper to both set up at and to attend. Two booths at RCCC seemed more than just double what I had here. Same thing at Jet City in Tacoma last November.

This was my first WW show under my banner and I only had one booth instead of the usual two. I tried to apply my successful dual-booth technique here and it just didn't translate as well as I would have liked. Every show I learn something new and I did at this one too.

My peeps helping me were great. It's nice to set up in your home park with your own people.

I was pleasantly surprised at the behind the scenes folks with both the convention center and WW. At some cons they are kinda rude and "by the book" but they were much more friendly and open to new ideas here.