• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ghostbusters Reboot

70 posts in this topic

Yep,talk about destroying a franchise when they cast this!

Ghostbusters (2016) box office= Worldwide: $217,764,512.

Know how bad that box office is?

The Lone Ranger movie with Johnny Depp beat it.

The Lone Ranger = Worldwide: $260,502,115.

A movie about two guys on horses beat it.

Ghostbusters had to be the bomb of the year or very close.

I kinda liked The Lone Ranger.

The musical score by Hans Zimmer and the train sequence was top notch.

Arnie Hammer was well-cast.

But, it does feel like 1989 again at the box-office with Batman everywhere and franchises like Ghostbusters II and Star Trek V: The final Frontier disappointing.

That was actually addressed by Sony in that article and the original article never actually had a source for the numbers that were being tossed around. Also having 0% of the Chinese market does really throw off worldwide sales numbers.

"This loss calculation is way off," says the Sony rep. "With multiple revenue streams, including consumer products, gaming, location-based entertainment, continued international rollout, and huge third-party promotional partnerships that mitigated costs, the bottom line, even before co-financing, is not remotely close to that number."

There was some other stuff I read that was saying the sales and rentals for all other Ghostbusters movies and merchandise was skyrocketing around this movie release so there was even more income from that.

Daughter and I enjoyed it very much. We watched it 3 times On-Demand (as well as in theater). Wife not so much but she likes movies based on true events and chick flicks more....

I am tired of the people who trashed the film who haven't even seen it.....

Rented it this weekend as my daughter wanted to see it (and she had a great report card!). I didn't make it all the way thru it (fell asleep), but what I saw of it was ok. My daughter enjoyed it.

Of course, not near as funny as the original. I was expecting it to be worse.

I know I'm late to the party on this one, but the numbers you post -- while correct -- ignore the context and the fact that Lone Ranger was a _much_ bigger failure than Ghostbusters.

For one, Ghostbusters made $128 million domestic against a $144 million reported budget (89%), whereas The Lone Ranger made just $89 million domestic against a $215 million budget (41%).

That's significant, because studios net about double the percentage of the domestic take as they do for the international take (i.e., $1 made here is worth about $.65 to the studio, vs. $.40 abroad excluding China -- with China it brings the int'l average down to about $.34).

Again, your numbers are not technically incorrect, but contextually _any_ studio would far have preferred Ghostbusters' performance (and loss) to The Lone Ranger's (far greater loss).

And among big-budget films this year, Alice: Through the Looking Glass, Ben-Hur, Deepwater Horizon and The BFG all lost their studios far more money than did Ghostbusters.

The poor box office numbers don't surprise me.

The only thing I liked about the new Ghostbusters movie were the homages paid to the original cast. I think I laughed once and cringed through most of it. I couldn't tell if I thought the freaky ghostbusters geeky chick was supposed to be funny or cute or both but I wasn't a fan. I watched the original on Halloween night and while some parts seem cheesy to me now that I once thought were cool when I was a kid, I found much of it still far more funny and enjoyable than the new version.

Perhaps a big part of it is that the new cast was all female but I feel it had more to do with the writing and character development than the fact they were female. If they had cast the 4 of them along similar personalities to the original 4 or not tried to make them all complete basket cases I might have gotten more into it.