• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your Favorite All-Time Cover (w/Explanation)

158 posts in this topic

Please post your all time favorite cover from a comic book in your collection. Post only one, but you're free to comment on other board member's covers.

Also, explain why your chosen cover is your absolute favorite (artist, characters, etc.?).

I haven't decided on mine yet, but I'll get back to it.

This is just a great cover. It was also the first book that i paid over $5 for when I got back into collecting in 02. I paid $28 for it, want to upgrade, but will never get rid of this book.

2nd place cover: JiM 114

Avengers57Front.jpg

arex,

That is a great book. That's actually the only SA Avengers book I own. I should be getting it back from PGX here soon, hopefully at about a 7.0.

Good idea for a thread, I was going to post something similar myself. Tough call, this one....there are so many covers I love. Had to be an Adams though. Runners up include X-Men 56, 57, 59, 62 and Green Lantern 85. Also love Toth's cover to Sinister House of Secret Love 3 and Wrightson's HOM 195. This one wins though and I know I am not alone here (thought I would beat ze-man and others to the punch).

Image Hosted by imagehosting.us

Well, OK. I can't really say my favorite cover of all time as there are so many, in so many different genres. So I'll just say this is my favorite Modern era superhero cover. Bolland at his best. I like the evil looking Joker and matching cat. Cool brooding Batman in the background. Hard to see in this unfortunately dark image but the gold lettering looks really nice against the colors. Alot of detail in the fur of the cat. If you've got this book, give it another look.

698835-Joker.jpg

698835-Joker.jpg.3dffe65a2ca034f00000d124823a8b98.jpg

As for myself, I'm a MODERN kinda guy. I was born long after the Silver Age, so I missed most of that and am trying to catch up by reading some Essentials TPBs.

My favorite comic comes from the 2nd title I ever started to collect every month, the 1990-98 Spider-Man series. I'm a HUGE Hobgoblin fan, and I was tempted to post ASM 238, but you really just cannot beat Todd McFarlane art in a Spidey book. His Hobgoblin was awesome. So, being a huge fan of both Hoby and TMc, I had to go with Spider-Man #6.

spiderman6.jpg

As for myself, I'm a MODERN kinda guy. I was born long after the Silver Age, so I missed most of that and am trying to catch up by reading some Essentials TPBs.

I was born a decade after the silver age ended, but believe me, after a few months on these boards you will be chasing SA stuff and drooling over posts in the GA forum. Moderns will be a distant memory. 27_laughing.gif

BTW, good choice on the McF Spideys. Those were some of the first comics I ever read and I always felt that run was a great deal better than people gave it credit for. thumbsup2.gif

I was born a decade after the silver age ended, but believe me, after a few months on these boards you will be chasing SA stuff and drooling over posts in the GA forum. Moderns will be a distant memory. 27_laughing.gif

BTW, good choice on the McF Spideys. Those were some of the first comics I ever read and I always felt that run was a great deal better than people gave it credit for. thumbsup2.gif

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I'm beginning to love SA books. But I just know that I will never have a huge collection of them due to their price. So I'm perfectly happy with some of the 80s and 90s books and runs that I have, while picking up a few key moderns and SA's along the way.

Good idea for a thread, I was going to post something similar myself. Tough call, this one....there are so many covers I love. Had to be an Adams though. Runners up include X-Men 56, 57, 59, 62 and Green Lantern 85. Also love Toth's cover to Sinister House of Secret Love 3 and Wrightson's HOM 195. This one wins though and I know I am not alone here (thought I would beat ze-man and others to the punch).

Image Hosted by imagehosting.us [/quote

Awesome.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I'm beginning to love SA books. But I just know that I will never have a huge collection of them due to their price. So I'm perfectly happy with some of the 80s and 90s books and runs that I have, while picking up a few key moderns and SA's along the way.

Do you only collect HG? I too have a limited budget, but if you shoot for raw 6.0-8.0 SA and BA books can be had for peanuts compared to their HG counterparts.

This is just a great cover. It was also the first book that i paid over $5 for when I got back into collecting in 02. I paid $28 for it, want to upgrade, but will never get rid of this book.

This is my favorite for a similar nostalgic reason. It was the first Kirby cover I fell in love with when I started collecting on eBay. Plus I love purple covers.

2457_4_01.jpg

Do you only collect HG? I too have a limited budget, but if you shoot for raw 6.0-8.0 SA and BA books can be had for peanuts compared to their HG counterparts.

Just saw your sig-line. Looks like you already knew that. 27_laughing.gifforeheadslap.gif

Please post your all time favorite cover from a comic book in your collection. Post only one, but you're free to comment on other board member's covers.

Also, explain why your chosen cover is your absolute favorite (artist, characters, etc.?).

I haven't decided on mine yet, but I'll get back to it.

nice and hard post...but i'll try.

here's one of my all time fav. covers!!!

why?! i always liked the nick fury character and steranko is one of my all time fav. artists. i simply love the way he plays with the readers eye/mind and the visual pace/narrative inherent to his "escapist/maze" artistic past!!!

also, it's the pop culture at his best!!! simply art, just great art all the way...

74105259712.4.GIF

hope the link works...

regards

Favorite pre-code horror cover, for sheer weirdness. Fantastic image.

wei11.96a.jpg

Favorite Golden Age cover. Batman 227 (already posted in this thread, and quite correctly too) is an homage to this. As if you didn't know. Classic image that really added to the Batman mythos.

det1.6409a.jpg

This is the one comic I can really remember owning from my childhood, and it continues to be my favorite cover, bar none. Remembering it about a year ago, and finding it on Ebay, renewed my interest in comics and why I am here!

Before I die, I swear, I'll get the money together to get this in a high grade!!

tt14.jpg

Do you own that Tec 31? 893whatthe.gifhail.gif That's the only comic I can ever see myself spending multiple thousands on. So sweet! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Sadly not - although it's one of my grails, without question. I've wanted that comic in decent shape for a very long time........this particular copy is available from Metro for $11K!!!