• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would You Rather ...

35 posts in this topic

For purposes of this thread forget about resale value but consider the cost to acquire. If you are collecting a title, including its precursor title (e.g. JIM and Thor, TOS and Iron Man), would you rather:

A. Have a low grade of THE generally accepted ultimate key (e.g. JIM 83) with the rest of the set in VF or some other higher grade; or

B. High grade of that key with the rest in VG or lower?

Ill chose option B. High grade key with the rest being low grade.

Mostly because I READ MY COMICS :) and it wont bother me to read low grade copies :) Hi grade copies of rare books would probably scare the out of me to read lol

probably A as I imagine it would generally be cheaper, and having a nice key with a beater run would bother me more than having a lower grade key with a nice looking run. It does depend on how low a grade one is talking about, as most 2.0 and below copies of Marvel keys look too ragged for me to get excited about.

I'd be more likely to go with C - a restored midgrade key and FN or better copies of the rest of the run.

probably A as I imagine it would generally be cheaper, and having a nice key with a beater run would bother me more than having a lower grade key with a nice looking run. It does depend on how low a grade one is talking about, as most 2.0 and below copies of Marvel keys look too ragged for me to get excited about.

I'd be more likely to go with C - a restored midgrade key and FN or better copies of the rest of the run.

:applause:

the low grade key will continue to appreciate in value over time more so then the rest of the run. Why not have 100+ books that are in awesome condition with one Major Key that is decent but always getting more valuable? Don't most of the regular run books stay fairly stagnate value wise?

Plus-- you never know if one of those books in the high grade run might turn into a minor or even major key later on due to unforeseen movie or other activity.

I am more of a choice C person. I will take anything I can get my hands on as long as it fits my price for that copy. If I see an upgrade I will get it. That is how I got my MAD collection.

Since that is not an option I will choose Choice A all the way.

I do have a question for the OP though. Assuming option A...

Would you start off buying the key issue(s) first and then chase the smaller stuff, or would it be the other way around?