• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Scanner for Slabbed Books is Recommended???????????????

26 posts in this topic

For the OP

Epson GT-2000

HP 7310

HP 7400 (7710 is the actual number for a search)

HP 7410 All-in-one.

HP 7780 AIO

HP Scanjet 8200?? (may not be legal size)

HP 8250

HP 8300

HP 8350

HP 8390 (according to HP specs)

Microtek Scanmaker i800 plus

Microtek V6UPL

Microteks 9600-9700-9800

I know from first hand experience that the Microtek 9600/9700 drivers will not work with anything higher than Windows XP. The 9800 I believe has drivers for Vista. All three are great scanners because they are large enough to scan most original art. But if you want to use one of them, you'll have to purchase third party scanning software if you are running more recent versions of Windows. VuScan is popular and at $40 for the standard edition about as inexpensive as anything I've found.

The best I found was a i800 Microtek, but they don't make them any more and if you find one they are usually a small fortune!

There is one out on eBay BIN, but if you buy used - it's a gamble...

(thumbs u

Yes. They do still make them. :gossip:

I'll mention in this thread that in the other thread I've been touting the virtues of the HP 8250. Actually looking at it as it sits on my desk, I finally noticed that it's actually an HP 8300. Still good! :D

I'll mention in this thread that in the other thread I've been touting the virtues of the HP 8250. Actually looking at it as it sits on my desk, I finally noticed that it's actually an HP 8300. Still good! :D

The HP 8300 is the one I use for my scans too. Super-cheap on the 'bay, just make sure that if you go that route .. the seller packs it verrrry well :wishluck:

The HP 8300 is the one I use for my scans too. Super-cheap on the 'bay, just make sure that if you go that route .. the seller packs it verrrry well :wishluck:

And my current scanner is the HP 8300 as well. When I finally abandoned XP and installed Win 7, that is when I discovered my Microtek 9700 had no drivers past XP. I briefly considered a dual boot system, but finally decided a compatible scanner would be less trouble.

About two weeks after buying the HP I learned that VuScan lets older scanners work with new new versions of Windows (and Apple OS) But I decided I liked the HP as it scans faster (makes sense, it's scan bed is smaller - but still adequate for slabs) and the scans more accurate right out of the box with no need for tweaking. So I've kept using it.

As you said, you can usually find them on eBay reasonably priced and they appear to be rock solid reliable. Got mine from a seller that seemed to have an almost unlimited number of them that were used by the State Dept. Still has a "non classified documents only" label on it as it would take apparently forever to scrub and peel it off.