• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Black Panther prototype?

45 posts in this topic

Came across this when scanning for my sales thread. Predates FF 52 and the name and costume are pretty dang close. The actual Panther is some dorky white villain with a mustache, but I have seen far weaker connections be considered a prototype.

What does everyone think?

0012_zpsb5fd0002.jpg

I've always thought of it as one. It doesn't have the price tag of a recognized prototype, but it does tend to sell any time it is offered. I've seen a few runs of Two Gun Kid up for sale on the boards & it's always one of the ones grabbed quickly.

In fact, when you started listing Two Gun Kids in your thread I was on the lookout for it.

Certainly a prototype in terms of name and costume. I agree the term can be abused and overused, but these types of things are cool and a part of Marvel's Silver Age history. The market can determine what the premium is on this or any other "prototype".

Thank goodness they went with the costume they did.

The "original" version makes him look like the Black Ozymandius. :D

Yeah - I have always like BP's costume - all black is great without any ornamentation. I assume changing from a tiger to a panther led to costume redo - losing the stripes at least. A black panther is sleek and agile and the costume is fitting.

Yeah, it really is a good design.

Does anyone care about Journey Into Mystery #78?

Too bad this isn't the cover to ST #110! It's actually a better story too

jim78b_zpsusklos3s.jpg

Cool cover, but I find the Dr. Strange "prototypes" to be among the most debatable, as casting spells and sorcerers were common fodder for "fantasy" comics, unless there is an origin story similar to Strange's.

Came across this when scanning for my sales thread. Predates FF 52 and the name and costume are pretty dang close. The actual Panther is some dorky white villain with a mustache, but I have seen far weaker connections be considered a prototype.

0012_zpsb5fd0002.jpg

37eda6fc55724f196e07626ad6bf49c8_l.jpg

I think you may be on to something. It seemed kind of interesting that when this book was reprinted in Two-Gun Kid 119, they changed the color of the Panther to red.

Does anyone care about Journey Into Mystery #78?

Too bad this isn't the cover to ST #110! It's actually a better story too

jim78b_zpsusklos3s.jpg

Cool cover, but I find the Dr. Strange "prototypes" to be among the most debatable, as casting spells and sorcerers were common fodder for "fantasy" comics, unless there is an origin story similar to Strange's.

It's a cool story and tough in grade..... but to me, THE Dr Strange prototype will always be AA 1 with Dr Droom. The best IMO prototype of the Ancient One is in SW 1. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

0012_zpsb5fd0002.jpg

I think you may be on to something. It seemed kind of interesting that when this book was reprinted in Two-Gun Kid 119, they changed the color of the Panther to red.

Is the Panther red on the inside pages too?

0012_zpsb5fd0002.jpg

Oh man. I have no idea what box my copy is in. But I wanna find out the answer. :mad:

0012_zpsb5fd0002.jpg

Oh man. I have no idea what box my copy is in. But I wanna find out the answer. :mad:

Doubt it. Reprint covers will generally have color changes from slight to drastic. Background on cover might change entirely as well. But the content inside the pages will be the same.

TGK's vest color was changed. As well as all the other characters on the cover. Even the terrain. The only colors that remained consistant on the reprint cover is...well, the tree. lol

0012_zpsb5fd0002.jpg

I'll check -- give me a minute

0012_zpsb5fd0002.jpg

Doubt it. Reprint covers will generally have color changes from slight to drastic. Background on cover might change entirely as well. But the content inside the pages will be the same.

TGK's vest color was changed. As well as all the other characters on the cover. Even the terrain. The only colors that remained consistant on the reprint cover is...well, the tree. lol

I think the cover was redrawn completely/ not a reprint. However the interior pages show a the panther in a red outfit the whole way.