• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The last eBay thread?

326 posts in this topic

Does anyone deny before ebay you got pennies on the dollar for your books at comic shops?

Me.

Just as now, it all depended on what you had.

Back before eBay...and at a time without unlimited internet resources...dealers had problems with resupply in the same way that customers had problems finding 'rare' books.

And again, you insist on making sweeping generalisations. I'm certain that back in 1995, some poor schmuck got taken for a ride by a local dealer.

Just as I'm certain that another guy got paid a fair rate by another dealer that he was happy with.

Kav, can you be specific about these "owners" you've dealt with? Sounds like alot of butthurt to me. Was this ASM 129 you speak of graded and if so what was the grade? Many factors on why they would offer $8.

It was 1978.

Does anyone deny before ebay you got pennies on the dollar for your books at comic shops?

Yes. Emphatically. I don't know hom many times I have to say it.

Whether it's comics, or coins, or cards, or rare books, or antiques... you got paid squat if you went to shysters, and you got paid well if you went to honest businessmen.

End of story.

Also, I'm a bit confused here...

On this thread it's all about how dealers are the devil, and should be avoided at all costs, and eBay has saved the day for sellers.

But then, there's those other 3,211 threads here with people lamenting the horrible things that have happened to them on eBay.

Which is it? Can Boardies get their stories straight?

Whether it's comics, or coins, or cards, or rare books, or antiques... you got paid squat if you went to shysters, and you got paid well if you went to honest businessmen.

End of story.

To know this for a fact you must have sold stuff to every comic shop in America. hm

Some comic stores do rip you off like the guy who said he pays half price I sold him some X men for $3 each next day they were on his wall for $30-$40 each.

Id like to believe this but ever since the time you said you spin kicked a guy in the face, while standing in line, at a grocery store, nothing you say means anything :(

Also, I'm a bit confused here...

On this thread it's all about how dealers are the devil, and should be avoided at all costs, and eBay has saved the day for sellers.

But then, there's those other 3,211 threads here with people lamenting the horrible things that have happened to them on eBay.

Which is it? Can Boardies get their stories straight?

It's saved the day for this seller

Some comic stores do rip you off like the guy who said he pays half price I sold him some X men for $3 each next day they were on his wall for $30-$40 each.

Id like to believe this but ever since the time you said you spin kicked a guy in the face, while standing in line, at a grocery store, nothing you say means anything :(

It was a round kick.

How you do go on.

I have great respect for honest dealers and store owners. It's a tough job and takes a lot of commitment to be good at it. Ebay is a vestige of it's former glory, and very risky to sell on - but it also has low commissions on higher-dollar sales, although I don't know how anyone can feel safe selling something with all the shysters that we hear about. 2c

I got a really good deal lately at my LCS for ASM 135 raw that I would never have got on ebay not even close.....probably a 9.0 ... we all know about the great grading on ebay .... better off at my LCS or the boards here...like playing the lottery buying raws off ebay ....

I've never said anything negative about buying at LCS

Don't understand the hate for ebay. If I want something, I can find it. If I want to sell something, I can. Just bought $400 worth of hatchback shocks on ebay for $40. Do I want to sell comics to a comic store? No.

(tsk)

Well, the hate for eBay on here is about a fraction of the hate that is generally expressed against comic shops. Not sure why, when you admit you can buy stuff on eBay for 10-cents on the dollar, that you would want to sell your stuff on there instead of a decent comic shop?

Comic shops rip you off. :gossip:

As a former shop owner, I'd say that you're wrong on that aspect. Sure, some do - but most are honest business people who have to pay overhead costs like rent, utilities, insurance, bank fees, professional fees, workers comp, taxes, licensing and a litany of other costs that Average Joe doesn't have to incur on Ebay. It costs money to operate a business - something that many people aren't familiar with.

When it comes to buying, sure comic shop owners are usually great. When it comes to selling, fuhgettaboutit.

You can say I'm wrong all you want, but I've experienced exactly what I'm describing.

You're not really describing anything. You said "Comic shops rip you off" which isn't terribly descriptive about anything in particular.

How is that the shop owner's fault for charging too much on a comic? It's your choice to pay. Shop somewhere else that is cheaper and move on if you don't like the price. To say that a shop owner is ripping you off because they charge too much is stretching it a bit - and to use a Roy-ism: it's generalizing.

My comment wasn't descriptive, yet you interpreted it as me slamming comic shops for charging too much for their books? If that's how I came across, then I apologize.

My "Comic shops rip you off" comment had nothing to do with buying from shops (I buy from comic shops all the time and usually find some great deals) but rather selling to shops. I understand that comic shop owners need to make a buck, and need to cover other costs, but I stopped trying to sell to shops a long time ago, because of the ridiculous low ball offers I would receive. The internet has provided much better selling outlets as opposed to the LCS. Ebay just happens to be one of those outlets.

So to re-word my comment in a way that is more descriptive...

I feel that I will get an incredibly lowball offer If I try to sell my books to a comic shop.I feel every piece of $.25 longbox drek should be bought by stores at guide or the ridiculous price i think it's worth.

Fixed.

End of story.

To know this for a fact you must have sold stuff to every comic shop in America. hm

I have to have sold to every shop in America to know whether I paid decent rates on comics?

I have to have sold to every shop in America to know that in any line of business there are honest people and there are crooked people?

This statement makes even less sense than most of yours.

You're the one making sweeping non-sensical accusations. So here's the deal... YOU send someone into my shop (or come yourself, since I don't know who you are) with a decent book (or collection, since I prefer not to buy onesies unless its something especially valuable), worth real money (not some routine few-dollar item, or some goofy book that's hot on eBay for only 2 days) and see what I offer... then you can come back here and announce your findings.

Or you can work out a mail-order transaction with Dale, or Richard, or Roy, or any number of other dealers on here, and see if you get offered "pennies on the dollar". Or you can just ask other people on here who have sold collections to these folks in the past, and see what they have to report. Simple enough.

End of story.

I have to have sold to every shop in America to know whether I paid decent rates on comics?

I have to have sold to every shop in America to know that in any line of business there are honest people and there are crooked people?

This statement makes even less sense than most of yours.

You're the one making sweeping non-sensical accusations. So here's the deal... YOU send someone into my shop (or come yourself, since I don't know who you are) with a decent book (or collection, since I prefer not to buy onesies unless its something especially valuable), worth real money (not some routine few-dollar item, or some goofy book that's hot on eBay for only 2 days) and see what I offer... then you can come back here and announce your findings.

Or you can work out a mail-order transaction with Dale, or Richard, or Roy, or any number of other dealers on here, and see if you get offered "pennies on the dollar". Or you can just ask other people on here who have sold collections to these folks in the past, and see what they have to report. Simple enough.

how much will you give me for asm 45 in 8.0?

I still think that OP needs to change the name of this thread..

One can only hope that this would be the last eBay thread..

But clearly.. Thats not happening anytime soon

But seriously now.. I think this is kinda ridiculous that some people think its either eBay or LCS..

If you've fully adapted to the 21st century you know you need both...

A Hot Topic store to purchase the recalled comics from and an eBay to flip them at for x 100

OK, I admit.. I cant be serious..

Like never

It was a round kick.

How you do go on.

But as a comic artist yourself, you should support every comic book store owner right? The guys that continue to support your medium? The guys that have more to lose just staying in business than you do copying Kim Kardashian pictures?

It was a round kick.

How you do go on.

But as a comic artist yourself, you should support every comic book store owner right? The guys that continue to support your medium? The guys that have more to lose just staying in business than you do copying Kim Kardashian pictures?

I am not a comic artist. Comic store owners do nothing to support me. I have never made a penny from comic stores by drawing.

It was a round kick.

How you do go on.

I am not a comic artist. Comic store owners do nothing to support me. I have never made a penny from comic stores by drawing.

My mistake, thought you were a comic artist. Supporting a medium doesn't have to be monetary. I read somewhere you did a comic? My bad.