• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM X-MEN 68 (MANGLED BY MARVEL)

12 posts in this topic

This one looks to have made it to sale despite a fairly obvious production flaw. Production flaws usually don't affect the grade but this one sure is ugly.

Other than that some bad stack color transfer FC is probably the largest flaw. The lines along the spine BC are dirt along spine tics not tears. What do you think one like this would grade? Thanks for any grades/comments.

original.jpg

original.jpg

Thanks for the comments! Had to see whether a little dry cleaning FC could help lessen some of the worse dirt/color transfers. Though structurally the book is close to the 6.5/7.0 territory with all the dirt/color transfer gain/loss I had it in the VG range. Though it can be difficult/impossible, at least for me, to get any positive results in non plain white areas now I am thinking it tops out at about 5.0 . With the bad production flaw it was never going to look good anyway. :(

original.jpg

original.jpg

Fortunately it was a reprint issue and the large majority of the issues that sat in the stack don't have the same issue from sitting so long until they were first bagged around 1985.

Starting with the square bound $.25 #68 I think most if not all of the X-Men were reprints of earlier issues, until the relaunch with issue #94. My original collecting days ended before then, though for some reason I did manage to pickup a copy of #97 off the newstand.

The dry cleaning certainly helped. I'm not that picky about miscuts - unless they are really bad, especially on mid grade and under books. Probably because I mostly collect G/VG to FN late forties, early fifties material, where miscuts are quite common, and books not always that easy to find in any condition.

I also had quit collecting Marvels for the most part by 1975, but as I'd been an X-Men fan in the early 70s ( picking up back issues mostly), I managed to pick up GSXM 1 and X-Men 100 ( the new vs. old battle piqued my interest). I was shocked to find them worth money 6 years later when I was selling off the remains of my collection.