• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Difference in value between Covers for Issue # 1 and Issue # 2.

42 posts in this topic

Let’s say you had Issue # 1 ‘X’ Cover, illustrated by ‘Y’ artist from ‘Z’ series (Pre-Digital Era)

What is your opinion in what the difference in value would be if it had been published as Issue # 2 as oppose to issue #1

Keeping in mind that the pseudo cover for issue # 1, aesthetically and artistically speaking is equally appealing to number # 2

For Example: Let’s say Kirby’s FF#1 Cover is value at 1 million. But that specific cover was published in Issue # 2 instead. And whatever was published in Issue # 1 is equally as nice. What is the value of FF#2?

hm

I still think content is king.

So, using X-Men as an example, if issue 1 has a Giant X on it, vs issue 2 has the whole team in action, IMO issue 2 would be valued higher.

Content and Context matter so much in this hobby.

I agree with you, Which is why I mentioned that they are both equally appealing, aesthetically and artistically. With both similar content and context.

If the artist is the same and the images are of similar quality, I'm going after the #1 cover. It's hard to quantify the exact percentage premium I'm placing on #1, but it's significantly more valuable to me, especially if the #1 cover is also the first appearance of the main character(s).

This isn't the case for everyone, but definitely for me and at least a few other collectors I talk with regularly.

Come on, there is no doubt that if the covers are equal, #1 is worth a premium over #2. Even if #2 is a little better, #1 is worth more. This is in the case, like FF, that its a book people care about of course.

Is definitely worth more. Both been equal and similar... If FF#1 has a value of 1 million. How much is #2? $750k, $500k??..Less?

I don't think there is a hard and fast rule of thumb other than the #1 will sell for a premium. Might be as low as 20-30% (struggling to think of an example, but I'm sure they exist), or it might be as high as 200-300% (e.g., Watchmen #1 vs. #2).

FF #1 vs. FF #2? I'm guessing the #1 sells for 2/3rds to 100% higher than the #2 (like $2 million vs. $1-$1.3 million). Just a guess, though.

I still think content is king.

So, using X-Men as an example, if issue 1 has a Giant X on it, vs issue 2 has the whole team in action, IMO issue 2 would be valued higher.

Content and Context matter so much in this hobby.

I agree where the x-factors of course are the prestige of a "1st Appearance" where rendering can take a slight back-seat or if it's somewhat historical/iconic of an issue, like "Amazing Spider-Man #300" for example which is a simple figure with a lot of stats comprising the cover.

The artist, characters, and quality of the artwork are more important generally than the number listed on the cover, since where comic book values might be based slightly upon print run and then supply and demand, original art only is gauged up supply and demand since they're all one of a kind items.

[...]but it's significantly more valuable to me, especially if the #1 cover is also the first appearance of the main character(s).

IMHO, if it's the first appearance, it's not anymore the "same content value" for both issues.

As for me, assuming both covers and issues are equals in terms of artistic quality and content (which also means to me that #1 is not the first appearance of the characters/team), I will treat them equally, and just take the one I like more/ the cheapest one of the 2 (if I really like them both in the same way.).

But it's hard to have the exact same content worth for all issues.

So I would probably go for my favorite story, cover, or first appearance of a given character.

The first appearance is usually issue #1, but I would choose it because it's the first appearance of a character, and not just because it is #1. (ok, I realise now I am probably not very clear. It was clearer in my head)

I'd say it depends on what vintage the covers were.

With modern covers, all the reboots and variant covers and TPB reprints, being a #1 cover to a comic doesn't have the same significance/visibility that it used to.

[...]but it's significantly more valuable to me, especially if the #1 cover is also the first appearance of the main character(s).

IMHO, if it's the first appearance, it's not anymore the "same content value" for both issues.

As for me, assuming both covers and issues are equals in terms of artistic quality and content (which also means to me that #1 is not the first appearance of the characters/team), I will treat them equally, and just take the one I like more/ the cheapest one of the 2 (if I really like them both in the same way.).

But it's hard to have the exact same content worth for all issues.

So I would probably go for my favorite story, cover, or first appearance of a given character.

The first appearance is usually issue #1, but I would choose it because it's the first appearance of a character, and not just because it is #1. (ok, I realise now I am probably not very clear. It was clearer in my head)

1st Appearances do add a variable to the question…. But so more to the length of TOS spawning Iron-Man#1, ASM to McFarlane SM#1 or Journey Into Mystery to Thor#1, those type of #1 issues, where characters had already been introduced.

My guess is that comics launched prior to the '80s would get a big bump.

The three big Variant Launches (X-Force (Liefeld), X-Men (Lee) and Spider-Man (McF) would represent the end of that. Those three #1s are all still pretty recognizable, but that's there the extreme erosion begins.

Here's an interesting case of Pre-Erosion comic covers. I'd say these two are comparable in artistic quality and detail. Spidey's a bit bigger in #1 but you could make a case that the #2 gets bonus points because it's got a "Classic" Spidey Villain on it (Kraven).

I'd expect the #1 to clearly sell for more in an auction, but if these two were covers to issue #36 and #37, I think they'd end at roughly the same number.

PPSM.jpg

I'd say it depends on what vintage the covers were.

With modern covers, all the reboots and variant covers and TPB reprints, being a #1 cover to a comic doesn't have the same significance/visibility that it used to.

Yeah, I wasn't even considering all of the reboot and spin-off #1s that come out these days. I couldn't care less about a #1 from the 47th reboot of some random X-title. For the books I collect art from, a #1 cover is almost always someone's first appearance.

Here's an interesting case of Pre-Erosion comic covers.

"Pre-erosion"...lol. So true.

I'd say these two are comparable in artistic quality and detail. Spidey's a bit bigger in #1 but you could make a case that the #2 gets bonus points because it's got a "Classic" Spidey Villain on it (Kraven).

I'd expect the #1 to clearly sell for more in an auction, but if these two were covers to issue #36 and #37, I think they'd end at roughly the same number.

+1

I'd guess that the #1 would be valued somewhere between 2 and 3x where the #2 would be (say, $30-$35K vs. $10-12K). But, if these were both covers from later in the run, there probably wouldn't be much valuation difference at all.

While some people are all about content and the art speaking for itself, almost every OA collector started off as a comic book collector, so things like first issues, first appearances, key issue bumps, etc. still matter to enough people to dictate market prices. 2c

Here's an interesting case of Pre-Erosion comic covers. I'd say these two are comparable in artistic quality and detail. Spidey's a bit bigger in #1 but you could make a case that the #2 gets bonus points because it's got a "Classic" Spidey Villain on it (Kraven).

PPSM.jpg

If they were both from later in the run, I would still pay a premium for the number 1 cover. Personally, its more appealing, with the larger image of Spidey and the Tarantula, and it has Flash and MJ on the cover.

The #1 cover is a nicer, more dramatic pose than the #2 cover, where Spidey looks awkward.

...almost every OA collector started off as a comic book collector, so things like first issues, first appearances, key issue bumps, etc. still matter to enough people to dictate market prices. 2c

I want to agree with this, but...first appearances and all similar baggage meant so much more when every story wasn't affordably reprinted to death. That was the genesis of the collector's market, the need to get back issues to get backstory. Time ran in a straight line, and the older stuff was less available and not cover price. Now everything (mainstream at least) is available in so many different ways, all relatively cheap -and probably more convenient- compared to the "original" comic.

Those of us that have been around for a while, I get your statement being true for them (but not for me, I embraced Essentials day one and never looked back)...but what of those that grew up with Essentials being at every bookstore and online? And then those born a bit later growing up with digital everything access at all times? Time has no line for these people, I'd suggest -no matter what CGC 9.8 of xxxx book is going for (today)- they will not revere those back issue "originals" nearly as much as previous generations, and with so many alternatives to get the story (which is really what it's all about, obsessive completism aside) at near zero and zero cost...as interest wanes so will prices. And if we accept that #1 (et al) bumps OA prices for the same reason it bumps comics, we shouldn't be surprised if one slumps (as I suspect will happen) the other will. Talking Spectacular and similar here, not billionaire trophies like Action 1, FF 1, etc. Those will always be bragging rights tropies, imo.

Today the answer is probably yes to #1, but not necessarily tomorrow.