• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are these good or evil?

14 posts in this topic

Many people ask us if they can re-publish our values on forums, within their auctions, or on their web sites. We always tell them no, because the dollar amounts change so often. But we've gotten a bit tired of answering this question so we came up with a simple solution. Take a close look at the images below and feel free to tear them apart or give 'em praise. Those I've met know I'm always open to hearing all thoughts - good or bad.

Thanks in advance.

- Jeff

28.png

---

29.png

---

30.png

Those are pretty cool. Since the comic is about thumbnail sized, you could probably photoshop the CGC blue label and 9.0 around the image so that people who aren't familiar with CGC understand that it's the encapsulated, blue label 9.0 that's being described.

It will be too small to read the text of anything on the label but the grade, but the color and grade would be visible.

152833.jpg.854c15eba408bc568ae5a43df0fce2f9.jpg

The good is that it does make it useful for someone who is looking to sell their comics to be able to show where they are getting their price. The bad? Well if you allow them to set their own parameters rather than having set ranges they can pick from you are going to see more misleading information attributed to your website than you can imagine. Some sellers are going to cherry pick the date range to show the highest most recent sales and avoid any low sales. We already see people here selectively pick 90 day, YTD, or 12 month GPA depending on what the most favorable price is. Just imagine if they could cherry pick even more than that.

at first I was hesitant with the usage of "x" sales in place of 90d/12mo/1yr. but when I truly thought about it, today's market happens so fast and quick in rise and fall that it IS necessary to have an average over a number of sales instead.

The outliers and low # of sales will give this data an unreliable source.

Thanks for the thoughts everyone. I like the idea of using the labels within the thumbnails. I'll have to take that back to the engineering crew to get thoughts. My thought is that it may be a giant undertaking with all the different labels and grades out there. Between CGC and CBCS, we're tracking 11 different labels. With 25 possible grades per label, that's 275 different thumbnail images per comic... might be too much to ask!

What is to stop someone from altering the image?

Yeah - that's why we included the "Click to Verify" text on the image. That performs a verification that things are properly placed by displaying the original value badge after the click... or alerting the user that the link they followed was invalid.

Many people ask us if they can re-publish our values on forums, within their auctions, or on their web sites. We always tell them no, because the dollar amounts change so often. But we've gotten a bit tired of answering this question so we came up with a simple solution. Take a close look at the images below and feel free to tear them apart or give 'em praise. Those I've met know I'm always open to hearing all thoughts - good or bad.

Thanks in advance.

- Jeff

28.png

---

29.png

---

30.png

Amazing how much Hulk 181 has jumped in price for 9.0.

I remember picking 9.0s up between $1000 to $1200 just a few years ago.