• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Unsold Action #1 and Detective 27

82 posts in this topic

You are talking about a different world of collecting. The only common thread a supercomplication (SC) watch and Action 1 might share is the interest and manner a record sale could be used to benefit and promote a lifestyle. Both markets also share parties that have been almost unanimously involved in establishing every record price. I would be very surprised if Patek themselves weren't one of the anonymous bidders, if not the winning bidder, as it's a time capsule piece that speaks on the company's entire philosophy, and the history of that pocket watch would be a centerpiece to their museum. The Patek SC has had buyers waiting in the wing for years, held by Sotheby's after debt recovery from it's previous owner, and the auction timed for Patek's 175th anniversary. To the persons previous point about Metro using their AC1/Tec 27 listing as a promotion, what's $24M as a "promo" to a company like Patek who charge several million per watch?

One other interesting difference that comics can only strive for is that watches are global. The watches that are valuable and sought after in Hong Kong or Shanghai are the same watches that are sought after and valuable in New York, Geneva or Dubai.

made me think of this scene....

Pawnbroker: Burnt my fingers, man.

Louis: I beg your pardon?

Pawnbroker: Man, that watch is so hot, it's smokin'.

Louis: Hot? Do you mean to imply stolen?

Pawnbroker: I'll give you 50 bucks for it.

Louis: Fifty bucks? No, no, no. This is a Rouchefoucauld. The thinnest water-resistant watch in the world. Singularly unique, sculptured in design, hand-crafted in Switzerland, and water resistant to three atmospheres. This is the sports watch of the '80s. Six thousand, nine hundred and fifty five dollars retail!

Pawnbroker: You got a receipt?

Louis: Look, it tells time simultaneously in Monte Carlo, Beverly Hills, London, Paris, Rome, and Gstaad.

Pawnbroker: In Philadelphia, it's worth 50 bucks.

Louis Winthorpe III: Just give me the money.

Pawnbroker takes watch and gives Winthorpe a $50 bill

Pawnbroker: A pleasure doing business with you.

Winthorpe takes money, then looks at display case for another potential business transaction

Louis Winthorpe III: How much for the gun?

You are talking about a different world of collecting. The only common thread a supercomplication (SC) watch and Action 1 might share is the interest and manner a record sale could be used to benefit and promote a lifestyle. Both markets also share parties that have been almost unanimously involved in establishing every record price. I would be very surprised if Patek themselves weren't one of the anonymous bidders, if not the winning bidder, as it's a time capsule piece that speaks on the company's entire philosophy, and the history of that pocket watch would be a centerpiece to their museum. The Patek SC has had buyers waiting in the wing for years, held by Sotheby's after debt recovery from it's previous owner, and the auction timed for Patek's 175th anniversary. To the persons previous point about Metro using their AC1/Tec 27 listing as a promotion, what's $24M as a "promo" to a company like Patek who charge several million per watch?

One other interesting difference that comics can only strive for is that watches are global. The watches that are valuable and sought after in Hong Kong or Shanghai are the same watches that are sought after and valuable in New York, Geneva or Dubai.

The super heroes are just getting discovered by China and the rest of the world,as well do to the blockbuster movies introducing the super heroes to a world wide audience.

With a new world wide audience just discovering these heroes I find most of the prices for these keys we got now will look like bargains in 10 years.

The comic book keys will have tremendous growth.

The comic book keys when all said and done have not even reached their peak yet!

2c