• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Unsold Action #1 and Detective 27

82 posts in this topic

I'm just trying to learn

How does cgc grade separated glue?

Not separated glue, but glue in general. If the grade is in no way improved by the glue, and the glue is around the size of a pinhead it gets a blue label, since inception (only on GA books)

Jim

I'm just trying to learn

Not separated glue, but glue in general. If the grade is in no way improved by the glue, and the glue is around the size of a pinhead it gets a blue label, since inception (only on GA books)

Jim

KRAGL drools on GA

What about a slice of glue that formerly held the cover together but has separated and no longer performs any resto function how do they grade that?

one other thing-- am I correct to assume the more valuable of the two books here is the Tec 27?

Yes, as I mentioned the last sale for an Action #1 in 5.0 was around $425k. The last two sales of 6.5 Detective 27s were $567k and $522k respectively. The $567k was 2013.

As I said, 1.5 million is an aggressive price. The two last sales for these books in these grades add up to just short of $1,000,000 and they're advertising the books for $500,000 more than that.

I'm just trying to learn

Jim

Which to this day makes no sense as unrestored means just that unrestored with nothing done to the comic. Unless the book was issued with glue on it, it should receive a purple restored holder as the glue was obviously there for some asthetic/improvement purpose.

one other thing-- am I correct to assume the more valuable of the two books here is the Tec 27?

Yes, as I mentioned the last sale for an Action #1 in 5.0 was around $425k. The last two sales of 6.5 Detective 27s were $567k and $522k respectively. The $567k was 2013.

As I said, 1.5 million is an aggressive price. The two last sales for these books in these grades add up to just short of $1,000,000 and they're advertising the books for $500,000 more than that.

Might be now?

I think the Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movies performance is having an affect here somewhat.

I wonder what the price might be for these two books if the upcoming

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie next year is a all-time blockbuster?

Then again Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice might underperform.

I guess sometime in 2016 we will know if this was priced over aggressive or not? hm

Might bee now?

I think the Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movies performance is having an affect here somewhat.

I wonder what the price might b for these two books if the upcoming

I guess sometime in 2016 we will know if this was priced over aggressive or not? hm

1. overpaying is still overpaying. These books in these grades have all moved recently so it's just silly to pay a $500,000 premium.

2. Action #1 and Detective #27 don't have much room for "heating up" based on movie hype. The only time that's really happened with those two books was in the 1980s with the Batman movie mania. I don't think the upcoming movie will move the needle at all.

Might bee now?

1. overpaying is still overpaying. These books in these grades have all moved recently so it's just silly to pay a $500,000 premium.

2. Action #1 and Detective #27 don't have much room for "heating up" based on movie hype. The only time that's really happened with those two books was in the 1980s with the Batman movie mania. I don't think the upcoming movie will move the needle at all.

Money is relative. $1000 to me is likely 10¢ to Justin Beiber. It's totally within the realm of possibility that a mega-rich fanboy could come along an nab those two simply because he can get them both at the same time from a reputable dealer to impress his friends or just say that he owns them.

Sure, that's an extremely small window of potential customers - but it's not unheard of. It might be silly to you or I to overpay on that amount, but for a select few others, the concept of overpaying doesn't factor in. But, I agree with Artboy - this listing is more of an advertisement to get people talking.

Might bee now?

Money is relative. $1000 to me is likely 10¢ to Justin Beiber. It's totally within the realm of possibility that a mega-rich fanboy could come along an nab those two simply because he can get them both at the same time from a reputable dealer to impress his friends or just say that he owns them.

Sure, that's an extremely small window of potential customers - but it's not unheard of. It might be silly to you or I to overpay on that amount, but for a select few others, the concept of overpaying doesn't factor in. But, I agree with Artboy - this listing is more of an advertisement to get people talking.

It certainly has done it's job.

Just fantasize for a minute: imagine you bought these books - how cool would it be to open up the box and pull out Tec 27 and Action 1 at the same time?

Might bee now?

I don't personally give any weight to the idea of pop stars, movie actors, Russian oligarchs and rich Saudis swooping in to spend untold millions on comics without a thought of the value, pushing prices up to stratosphere. Anything is possible, but I just don't see it happening. There's no cachet for those guys in buying a comic book. Watches, cars, wine, real estate? Sure. Comics? Nope. We had sometimes hilarious speculation about potential buyers for the eBay Action #1 and that ended up selling right back into the very heart of the hobby.

My favorite moment from that thread

Remember that many many Russian newly rich buy sports teams, yachts, and so on for millions and millions of dollars just for the fun of it... so having arguably the best graded comic in the industry could be a cool topic for conversation next time they have dinner with peers in Monaco.

:roflmao:

Scene: a private dining room at the Louis XV Alain Ducasse, Monte Carlo, Monaco

"So, Oleg, I hear business is good?"

"Da, Boris, I will be top 20 on Forbes list next year if stock price stay at these levels. And you? How is your wife?"

"Ekaterina is good, but you should see 20-year old I am giving "the business" to! I buy her $12 million pied-a-terre in New York and start new modeling agency to launch her career. How is your football club?"

"We are only in Europa League this season but I am confident of winning championship and qualifying for Champions League next year. I spend 170 million euro in transfer fees this summer, but it will be smart investment."

"170 million euros? That is what I spend on Rothko painting and Giacometti at Christie's sale last month. Wife loves Giacometti in new house in Kensington."

"You know what is really cool, though? New Action 1 comic book I just buy on the eBay. First appearance of Superman, graded nine-point-oh by the Cee-Gee-Cee. 1 of 2 copies in that grade on the Census, but mine has the superior white page quality! I keep in Zurich freeport with my Picassos and original cover art to Hulk #181."

"Oleg - you have done it again, tovarisch! This is why everyone call you `the smartest oligarch...'"

All this and more on the next episode of..."THINGS THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN" .

Might be now?

I don't personally give any weight to the idea of pop stars, movie actors, Russian oligarchs and rich Saudis swooping in to spend untold millions on comics without a thought of the value, pushing prices up to stratosphere. Anything is possible, but I just don't see it happening. There's no cachet for those guys in buying a comic book. Watches, cars, wine, real estate? Sure. Comics? Nope. We had sometimes hilarious speculation about potential buyers for the eBay Action #1 and that ended up selling right back into the very heart of the hobby.

I agree with the real estate part, but watches, cars,and wine are not as rare as the two holy grails that can be bought in one swoop.

History will show this 1.5 million will look like a bargain in 5 years.

IMHO.

I dunno. There's a few examples of wealthy people overlooking value for effect with little regard for outward respect from peers. Hell, even the Beebs manages to blow $1M a month on whatever it is that he does. Again, not saying it will happen, but there's plenty of examples out there of people with more money than brains.

Might be now?

I agree with the real estate part, but Watches, cars, wine are not as rare as the two holy grails that can be bought in one swoop.

History will show this 1.5 million will look like a bargain 5 years.

IMHO.

But if you paid fair market value (around $1,000,000) it would look like an even better bargain. Just because you've got the timing right doesn't mean you're free to overpay by $500,000. I don't pay 50% extra for stocks I like just because I believe they're going to go up.

And while we're here are most certainly watches, wine and cars that are as rare or more rare than anything in the comic hobby. In the watch world (which I know) there are regularly watches created in extremely limited quantities that sell new for more than this pair of comics. And on the vintage side things get plain crazy. There are many watches that are either unique or are only one of a handful and competition for them is intense. The Patek Supercomplication is unique and sold for more than seven times what the ebay Action #1 sold for ($24,000,000). A survey of the top end of the Patek market can give you a good sense of the kind of watches I'm talking about (the list includes both new releases and vintage pieces)

Even something like a (once) relatively humble Rolex Daytona "Paul Newman" sold for 1.1 million at the Christies Daytona auction in 2013 because of specific attributes and condition that combined to make it especially desirable.