• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Classics Illustrated

54 posts in this topic

Those two giants are super scarce. Congrats (thumbs u

Thanks. Now if I could only find a way to turn them into 9.8's...

...... sell Grit on the side.......... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

...... sell Grit on the side..........

everything you need to know about life you can learn through Classics Illustrated...or promos

YouveGotToHaveGRITfc100_zps44b5618e.jpg

Nice one and doesn't surprise me at all that you have that.

I've been seeing their ads in all the early Marvel's I've been reading on my tablet but don't ever remember seeing Grit growing up.

You're welcome and here are a couple I picked up a while ago.

Poor photos and lower grade but I've wanted them for years.

About 250 pages in this behemoth from 1949.

Classics%20Illustrated%20Adventure%20Giant%20Front_zps6ojlfmra.jpg

Superb! :applause: With 250 pages, I wonder if these books have the most pages ever in a comic book.

Superb! :applause: With 250 pages, I wonder if these books have the most pages ever in a comic book.

...I vaguely recall 300 plus pagers....... but that may just be wishful thinking on my part :insane: GOD BLESS....

...I vaguely recall 300 plus pagers....... but that may just be wishful thinking on my part :insane: GOD BLESS....

You're right Jimbo, I don't know if they're the biggest, but some of the the Fawcett Christmas comics are 324 pages.

I recounted the pages on the Adventure Giant and it only has 260.

damonwad and jimbo, thanks for the info on the page count :applause:

Here's the other two book's I mentioned. The dealer had several additional books, but I passed on those.

Men at Sea HRN 114 Where Captain Bligh gets a touch of his luster back, after being booted off of his ship.

CLASSIC_103_zpsdthgfu6s.jpg

HRN 118 My favorite cover of the 4 books just acquired.

CLASSIC_23_zpsme75ty42.jpg

I only have two CI.

3 Famous Mysteries #21 has an HRN of 70, so it's a reprint. Notice that there is no price listed on the cover. The inside back cover lists CI's available, 1 - 70, at 10 cents each.

The War of The Worlds however would be a first printing, I believe, since the next listed HRN is 125.

o9k384.jpg

j90oyv.jpg

I only have two CI.

3 Famous Mysteries #21 has an HRN of 70, so it's a reprint. Notice that there is no price listed on the cover. The inside back cover lists CI's available, 1 - 70, at 10 cents each.

The War of The Worlds however would be a first printing, I believe, since the next listed HRN is 125.

o9k384.jpg

j90oyv.jpg

Excellent artwork on the War of the Worlds book. I'm finding that as I'm digging a bit deeper into this series, more of these books have superior covers than I noticed at first glance.

X-Mas Comics 1 & 2 and Gift Comics 1 & 2, both from Fawcett in the early 40's all had page counts of over 300.

X-Mas Comics 1 & 2 and Gift Comics 1 & 2, both from Fawcett in the early 40's all had page counts of over 300.

St. John had some Treasury Comics (I think they were called) that had 500 pages of rebound comics. They had hard covers, though, so I don't know if they should count.

Agreed. Great cover. You know Dickens was in the middle of writing Oliver Twist and then started writing "Nickolas Nickelby". In essence he was was writing two books at the same time and they're two of of the best books of Dickens' early years as a writer.. You talk about genius!! I'm now reading Nickolas Nickelby for the second time.

I sure would love to read that Classic Illustrated adaptation. Send it along when you're done reading it.

A 7 pocket hanging wall rack and a 2 pocket sitting rack I filled with CI's.

Classics%20Illustrated%20Racks%20with%20comics_zpswlpaebsv.jpg

Those are things of beauty. :applause::headbang::applause: Just think, lucky kids and parents used to see those in stores across America and the world.