• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SOTHEBYS (Paris) - 07 MAR 2015

85 posts in this topic

I was using the USD prices listed on the site, but perhaps they are using last years exchange rate!

...perhaps a conversion charge in addition to the exchange rate ? GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Nope. It hammered at 22,000 EUR. I figure that's about $30,250 all in.

Ron

More like $28k (plus shipping?)

And if they won't give you the right exchange rate, you just do it though your bank or a currency broker and 'buy' the euros and pay them with that. No market more liquid than EUR/USD except maybe USD/JPY :

Now the Herge cover looks about right 362,000 EUR hammer. Add 25% to 452500, and add 1.08 for exchange. So, about $489,000 all in.

Ron

A bit less even if that EUR hammer is correct as the BP is only 25% on the first 60,000 euro. 20% on the next 1.7m or so

Maybe my math is off. 22,000 EUR x 1.25 = 27500 EUR, and then ti USD it's another 1.08 times or 29700. Is that correct? I think I used 1.1 for the conversion earlier. Let's see how the markets open on Monday.

Sorry, I'm sure your math is right. I thought the original question was 25000 EUR incl buyer's prem, so I took that x1.10 and rounded up (for unknown unknowns on my end). You never get the actual market rate, whoever is exchanging on your behalf (in the real non-trading world) pads a couple of points in for themselves...just like PayPal does :)

So, now the prices are shaping up. I wonder if they are adjusting as it goes, or if we were reading them wrong initially?

you mean they are restating the USD amounts?

No. Those seem to be way off. Look at the Herge cover. They say it sold for 453,000 EUR (including BP). To get to the US price they state of $618-$689k, you would have to use an exchange rate of 1.36 to 1.52.

That is just wrong.

Ron

Are they maybe including VAT and other fees not included in the 25% buyer's premium? I don't think VAT is charged on purchases made from the US but the disclosures were as clear as mud when I tried to decipher. Maybe they default to showing prices including VAT, b/c most purchases are made within the EU?

I made a run at the Jimmy Corrigan page but my top bid was beaten quite easily.

Ok to clarify, Ron, are you saying the prices (or some of them) in Euro were initially misstated on the results page but are now being corrected? And they DO include buyers fee, correct? I checked a couple at random and they were the same as when I originally read them. Let's forget about the USD prices for the time being, as they don't seem to make sense.

I wonder if you would do us a favor and let us know how much you end up paying OVER the hammer-price-with-buyers-fee for your win, expressed as a percentage of the HPWBF (if you don't want to let on what you got ;))?

Ok to clarify, Ron, are you saying the prices (or some of them) in Euro were initially misstated on the results page but are now being corrected? And they DO include buyers fee, correct? I checked a couple at random and they were the same as when I originally read them. Let's forget about the USD prices for the time being, as they don't seem to make sense.

I wonder if you would do us a favor and let us know how much you end up paying OVER the hammer-price-with-buyers-fee for your win, expressed as a percentage of the HPWBF (if you don't want to let on what you got ;))?

I think I saw the original posting with the USD prices, and knew that was wrong. But, I think whoever did that was using Sotheby's USD numbers which we now know are nutty. I didn't see that the prices they were posting included the BP. And, the invoice I rec'd is different than what is on the website. I've got an email into them to see why they're different. As far as I can tell, I should owe hammer plus 25% and that's payable in Euro.

Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

Ron

I think I saw the original posting with the USD prices, and knew that was wrong. But, I think whoever did that was using Sotheby's USD numbers which we now know are nutty. I didn't see that the prices they were posting included the BP. And, the invoice I rec'd is different than what is on the website. I've got an email into them to see why they're different. As far as I can tell, I should owe hammer plus 25% and that's payable in Euro.

Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

Ron

Yeah, that was me. I just wrote down Sotheby's USD prices, without thinking to do the calculation myself. I mean, I'm not even good at math. And Sotheby's is a freaking international auction house! Goes to show...