• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Katee Sackhoff to play Ms. Marvel?

222 posts in this topic

Hate to break it to some of you, but real woman don't look like comic book characters.

You assume I don't know that? I do...but there ARE some that do. A movie character isn't 'real woman' either, per se...so they could find someone that can act AND has the looks/body to match.

If they weren't out there I'd have no comment against it in the first place.

Not necessarily. There are obligations that many actors/actresses have to consider by getting into bed with Marvel. They sign up for ridiculously long contracts (by Hollywood standards) of 6-plus movies. They get last-minute notification of when they need to be on-set for appearances in non-title roles, and they have a lot of media that they are obligated to do. That's a big commitment & a lot of actors/actresses are reluctant to take that commitment on. But it is the promise of a very steady, pretty solid (but not exceptional) paycheck for about a decade.

Not necessarily. There are obligations that many actors/actresses have to consider by getting into bed with Marvel. They sign up for ridiculously long contracts (by Hollywood standards) of 6-plus movies. They get last-minute notification of when they need to be on-set for appearances in non-title roles, and they have a lot of media that they are obligated to do. That's a big commitment & a lot of actors/actresses are reluctant to take that commitment on. But it is the promise of a very steady, pretty solid (but not exceptional) paycheck for about a decade.

I assume this is why younger talent likes this and older talent prefers a little more flexibility (they've already made their money, they are looking for critical acclaim) hence why Joaquin Phoenix dropped out and why Charlize probably won't be Captain Marvel

I assume this is why younger talent likes this and older talent prefers a little more flexibility (they've already made their money, they are looking for critical acclaim) hence why Joaquin Phoenix dropped out and why Charlize probably won't be Captain Marvel

Talent on the rebound (RDJ), talent that never quite "stuck" as a star even when given multiple chances to "blow up" (Evans, Cheadle, Bettany, Renner), talent that wanted to get out of a type-casted role & into something different while still staying relevant but not going entirely against type (Rudd) and yes, the younger talent (Hiddleston, Hemsworth) like it. And some of the very older talent (Douglas, Russo, Hopkins) that wanted to stay in the public eye when they've done a lot of the money movies & the acclaim movies.

But I think the motivation for the ladies might be a little different. Hollywood chews up & spits out A-list women on a pretty regular basis. Even quicker than male talent. A new "flavor of the month" pops up in a movie or show & the trades start talking about how some A-list lady from last year that took some time off to have a baby or focus on something else, and that their lack of star role this year is proof that they are over & start pondering if they're too old, not pretty enough, too difficult to work with, or whatever & almost create a self-fulfilling prophecy that that actresses career is over. And that's without even mentioning the newish actress that has a big role & wants to capitalize & not fade back into obscurity. That kind of easily-replaced attitude towards some of the women (and the way the media kind of savages them if they haven't done anything huge in a while in a way that they don't with men) makes the idea of steady work & steady pay & staying both "on top" with a big role in what will inevitably be a top-10 (or more likely, top-5) movie of the year is a big way to avoid that fate. But that means foregoing their prime casting years & therefore some of their prime earning years to commit to something like this. As I said, it's a big commitment.

Has anyone seen any of Gina Carano's movies yet to know if she has much personality or can act? At only 33 years old with a nice face, KILLER body, and a badass instinct, she seems like a perfect choice for a superheroine--unless her ability to perform on film is a disaster. Which I presume is probably the case. :blush:

d8df5e598101a9f4a915095e443aba0509f40f2b0e327aca1d40ef08.jpg

Has anyone seen any of Gina Carano's movies yet to know if she has much personality or can act? At only 33 years old with a nice face, KILLER body, and a badass instinct, she seems like a perfect choice for a superheroine--unless her ability to perform on film is a disaster. Which I presume is probably the case. :blush:

d8df5e598101a9f4a915095e443aba0509f40f2b0e327aca1d40ef08.jpg

I don't think she's been bad at all in the things she's done actingwise. Quite good actually. BUT its also pretty clear when you watch those movies that they haven't really pushed her too far or too hard with regards to acting. I don't think she's done enough heavy lifting (in acting) for the general public to really have a lot of faith in her acting. But who knows, she obviously has the ability to focus and train and be disciplined, so maybe she's been training in acting for the past 5 years with top teachers and coaches and has improved a lot.

I actually think she would have been great as a sidepiece Wonder Woman in BvS movie and Justice League movies. But for her to carry the individual movie would have been a stretch for sure...

Haywire was OK. Like a mid-range female Bourne movie. She was also OK in Fast & Furious 6. She's not bad, but she's not great either. She's also not blonde. We'll see how she ends up in Deadpool. The rest of her stuff that's out or upcoming is a lot of direct-to-dvd stuff. She parlayed her UFC fame into Haywire but since it didn't become a breakout hit or anything & she didn't really garner a lot of acclaim, she's been reduced to supporting roles & anything she headlines ends up in the aforementioned direct-to-dvd category, at least at present.

Hair color is the easiest physical characteristic to fake. If we had to hold out for the right hair color on a superhero, we'd probably never have a Wonder Woman because Caucasian women with black hair are exceptionally rare. The only areas where that's at all common are the northern Middle East and southeastern Europe areas.

Hate to break it to some of you, but real woman don't look like comic book characters.

Yea, they do, they're just uncommon. But even if only 1 in 50 women have a body like Carol Danvers, that means there are millions of candidates in a country of hundreds of millions. Finding one from that pool who can act is the challenge.

there are a zillion actresses who could look like ms. marvel. pretty much any pretty blonde who is not too skinny.

Hair color is the easiest physical characteristic to fake. If we had to hold out for the right hair color on a superhero, we'd probably never have a Wonder Woman because Caucasian women with black hair are exceptionally rare. The only areas where that's at all common are the northern Middle East and southeastern Europe areas.

well, she is supposed to be greek, sort of

Haircolor notwithstanding, I don't think, from the 3 movies of hers that I've seen, that she can carry a blockbuster movie. Haywire is better than given credit for, but still nothing special. She was adequate but that was it. Nothing else on her resume gives me any sort of faith that she could pull off Carol. She would have been a better Wonder Woman, IMO. I can't put my finger on why though. Just a feeling I had when watching Haywire and F&F 6.

there are a zillion actresses who could look like ms. marvel. pretty much any pretty blonde who is not too skinny.

The harder part is the idealized female form comic book artists tend to give female superheroes--they're often depicted as extremely tall and busty with an hourglass figure, and Danvers is no exception. And there are most definitely NOT a zillion actresses who fit that bill. Marvel Studios hasn't depicted any of their major superheroines in film yet, but they've kept the physical characteristics of the men pretty close with the exceptions of the unrealistically large ones like Kingpin. I guess we'll see if they try to stick to the attributes of the women.

My picks are still Charlize Theron and Emily Blunt,but Ronda Rousey could be the dark horse in this race.

Marvel has been pretty good at picking actors to play these roles.

And I'm sure they're looking at social media and message boards to see who fans want to see as Captain Marvel.

But at the end of the day,it's going to be about that person's schedule and talent.

As fantastic an eye candy as Ronda Rousey is, I would much rather have someone with the acting chops even if she is a little older or has a body type that is not nerd approved. A good actress can make any part work. I'm OK with Katee if goes back to her.