• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spectre ... does anyone care?

75 posts in this topic

I was reading the posts that talked about

1. the relevance of the Golden age

Superman

Batman

WW

Aquaman

(all characters that survived from Golden age to Silver on up) - their first books have gotten or are now getting a lot of attention and value.

2. These posts claim the lesser of relevance of Golden Age characters who were changed (rebooted) upon entry to the Silver Age, with new costumes/power/aliases...

Flash

GL

(etc)

And, at least to date, the books lag behind in value to those listed in "1".

3. But what about characters that did reasonably well in the Golden Age, made it into the Silver Age more-or-less intact, and are relevant to the DC Universe...

Spectre

(etc)

Are these undervalued books, or books destined for an eternal steady-ish (low-isn relative to 1 and 2) price because of the lack of press these characters get? (Until the movie comes out, of course...)

Spectre is a great character, but really isn't relevant in today's hobby. These days it's about what is the latest hot book or movie and Spectre isn't.

The More Funs are great and have amazing covers but have been either going down in value or have stayed stable while sups and bats and others have gone nuts.

It's just the way things are today...

James G

Spectre is a great character, but really isn't relevant in today's hobby. These days it's about what is the latest hot book or movie and Spectre isn't.

The More Funs are great and have amazing covers but have been either going down in value or have stayed stable while sups and bats and others have gone nuts.

It's just the way things are today...

James G

True. There's also such a thing a saturation. Back when there were only a handful of superhero movies out there, books with a movie tie-in were in very high demand. The more movies that come out, the more books there will be with movie tie-ins, so the less each one will stand out. In other words, if everything is a key, nothing is a key. Right now, the prices on movie-related books are being driven mostly by speculation, so I doubt the high prices will last. (Howard the Duck had a movie. A Howard the Duck #1 is selling for around $100 in 9.4.)

Love both Spectre and Doc Fate both characters have a rich past and hopefully a bright future.With all the hollywood hype i think Spectre alone would make one great movie idea with a lot of stories to launch off of.One can hope :wishluck:

Love both Spectre and Doc Fate both characters have a rich past and hopefully a bright future.With all the hollywood hype i think Spectre alone would make one great movie idea with a lot of stories to launch off of.One can hope :wishluck:

Well they had him on Constantine, but I am not sure how long the show will last. He was in two episodes which is more then I can say for Fate whose helmet they showed in the very first show.

Even with all the tie ins everything won't be a key, every first may be but that is really all people want is books where something happens with with a cool cover, event or first...

More Fun 52 sells for a lot because it is RARE and doesn't come up for sale often. If Spectre was as popular as even a 2nd tier character those more fun would be worth crazy cash as they are pretty tough to find especially in higher grades.

James G

Love me some Spectre, and Dr. Fate. Behind only Batman, they are my favorites of the Golden Age.

Heck, back when I had comic stores, I named them after the title both characters debuted in

I enjoy the Spectre if I wasn't in the hobby I would not know of him nor the More Fun comics speaking of More Fun 52 how many are on the census? I seem to remember a coverless More Fun 52 going pretty cheaply on CC a year ago......like 2 or 3k??

Love me some Spectre, and Dr. Fate. Behind only Batman, they are my favorites of the Golden Age.

Heck, back when I had comic stores, I named them after the title both characters debuted in

I remember the Market Reports from "More Fun Comics" in CBM very well.....they were some of the best. One thing about Spectre, he is an interesting character, both conceptually and visually and more importantly, he is not already tied up in any merchandising or marketing deals..... so his usage in TV or Film would be lower maintenance. The Del Toro "Justice League Dark" may end up a hit....that type of material often is...... and if I recall, will feature Phantom Stranger, Swamp Thing, Deadman( I think.....), and some others..... so with Constantine and then this.... precedents will be set for this type of character. Issues of More Fun likely won't spike like the SA and BA books do because of the already lofty prices..... but the title may end up with some rejuvenation. Let's face it..... as scarce as MF can be, it will only take a few new fish in the pond to seriously impact the dynamic..... and as most GA collectors already know, that title in it's heyday is about as chock full of quality material as you'll ever find. GOD BLESS.....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I'm with you Bill (DC wise). Now, if you were a crime, horror and "a chick chained to a wheel" (as my wife tells her friends) fan, we'd be brothers from another mother!

I love the early Spectre (before he got the stupid side kick) maybe even more than Batman!

Yes and my Amazing Man 10 is from the collection you founded!

If More Fun prices have been stable or have decreased somewhat over the past 5 years, it's temporary. Look at titles that have doubled or tripled or even more in recent years - Zip, Pep, many Centaurs, many MLJs. All great books, but all pretty much have now-defunct superheroes (Pep does have Archie) yet still have gotten prices that would have been considered nutty 10 years ago. Titles come into f(l)avor, and go out, in cycles. Sometimes the cycles last a decade. More Funs are awesome - get them while they're 'down.' They'll be back.