• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spectre ... does anyone care?

75 posts in this topic

I actually thought it would have gone over 20k, 18k seemed like a pretty good deal based on what other unrestored copies have been going for
agreed...I thought it was weak, furthering my assumption that the lack of relevance of the character and the aging demographic that cares about the character and title, continues to hurt its demand (and thus price)

I actually thought it would have gone over 20k, 18k seemed like a pretty good deal based on what other unrestored copies have been going for
agreed...I thought it was weak, furthering my assumption that the lack of relevance of the character and the aging demographic that cares about the character and title, continues to hurt its demand (and thus price)

shut it el thumbo :sumo:

Maybe, Rick ... but happens when Constantine gets renewed (on the SciFi channel), Spectre makes an appearance and is liked, word gets out he might get his own show, and he's also showing up in the 2020ish JLA Dark movie... and suddenly a rare book and under-noticed character gets some of the attention it/he deserves but hasn't gotten in almost 20 years...

I think he looks pretty badass and that's all I know :)

I agree...

morefun65.jpg

..... someone told me that Bernard Baily once said that he accepted a drunken bet that he couldn't draw a thug soiling his pants..... supposedly the red headed chap on the right was his response.... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Maybe, Rick ... but happens when Constantine gets renewed (on the SciFi channel), Spectre makes an appearance and is liked, word gets out he might get his own show, and he's also showing up in the 2020ish JLA Dark movie... and suddenly a rare book and under-noticed character gets some of the attention it/he deserves but hasn't gotten in almost 20 years...

I honestly do not believe a TV appearance or even a movie appearance will affect the price of mf52.

Maybe I'm wrong but I just don't see it.

I'm with you GAtor. No way any movie or TV show affects the prices on the big books like that. Nor do I think that early Spectre appearances in More Fun are ever going to go at giveaway prices...

I wonder though if he gets put in one of the Justice League movies?

If those Justice League movies do a billion each at the box office, then there might be a good chance at a Justice Society movie. :o

Look at the prices of Captain America #1 after the movie. They went up!

I honestly do not believe a TV appearance or even a movie appearance will affect the price of mf52.

And Robot Man says "I'm with you GAtor. No way any movie or TV show affects the prices on the big books like that."

I partially agree, but partially disagree. The Spectre happens to fall into the category of underrated....and yet overrated. An unusual situation. His current popularity is underrated. A movie or TV show would definitely help people realize how cool he was in the Golden Age. But for a hero who doesn't have mainstream popularity, MF 52 has always been priced highly. A Top-10 or so book, despite the fact that the Spectre is not a Top-10 character. I like him a lot, but honestly he's not near the Flash or Captain Marvel as far as popularity over the years. So in his case, I think a movie or TV show would legitimize his status as near Top-10.

By the way, the MF 52 that just sold was not CGC 4.0. It was CBCS 4.0. I have no idea what CBCS is, but I'd be a little hesitant to assume it would get the same grade from CGC. Right??

I would agree that a movie or TV show with the Spectre would very likely boost his popularity. Maybe even propell him past the Flash and Capt. Marvel due to the dark nature of his stories.

At this time, I see neither the Flash or Capt. Marvel's GA books flying out of dealer's boxes at guide prices either. I doubt the Flash TV show has increased the sales of his comic books. Capt Marvel's "Shazam" books have gotton a boost because of his possible future appearance in a movie but these are way cheaper bronze age books generally. They are also bought/sold to comic speculators NOT the casual TV or movie goer.

For the most part, the casual movie attendee or watcher of the TV shows buy hardly any comics at all. With the cost of any of these characters' early books, I just don't see them going up because of exposure to the masses.

Heck, I'm a fan of all 3 and a serious comic collector and I can't afford to buy a More Fun #52 anymore... (or Flash #1 or Whiz #2 for that matter)

And Robot Man says "I'm with you GAtor. No way any movie or TV show affects the prices on the big books like that."

I partially agree, but partially disagree. The Spectre happens to fall into the category of underrated....and yet overrated. An unusual situation. His current popularity is underrated. A movie or TV show would definitely help people realize how cool he was in the Golden Age. But for a hero who doesn't have mainstream popularity, MF 52 has always been priced highly. A Top-10 or so book, despite the fact that the Spectre is not a Top-10 character. I like him a lot, but honestly he's not near the Flash or Captain Marvel as far as popularity over the years. So in his case, I think a movie or TV show would legitimize his status as near Top-10.

By the way, the MF 52 that just sold was not CGC 4.0. It was CBCS 4.0. I have no idea what CBCS is, but I'd be a little hesitant to assume it would get the same grade from CGC. Right??

I