• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

From RAW to a 4.5 to a 6.0

56 posts in this topic

If the CF can be reattached with just a simple staple tuck, then it makes sense to do so. It's on par with dry cleaning schmutz off, and probably less controversial than pressing, both of which can result in sizable grade jumps.

Judging from the scans ( not ideal, I know) the book looks like it could have easily been given a 5.0 with the detached CF, and a 5.5 with it re-attached, a minimal grade bump that would be less notable. A four increment grade range from CGC isn't unprecedented for books with no work done, and nearly every informed collector would agree that there is a reasonable range of at least two grade increments for any book. Basically the 'Tec went from an attractive mid grade looking copy with a detached CF to an attractive mid grade looking copy with an attached CF.

If the CF can be reattached with just a simple staple tuck, then it makes sense to do so. It's on par with dry cleaning schmutz off, and probably less controversial than pressing, both of which can result in sizable grade jumps.

Interesting to note that Overstreet in it's grading guidelines allows for any staples to be replaced up to Fine grade but vintage staples must be used between Fine and VF/NM and Mint books must have original staples.

oh cool, another one. :banana: PQ bump too :whee:

ComicConnect last auction

30-2014-3750.jpg

ComicLink this auction

RAD8E7492015212_113453.jpg

I like that one. Book looks nicer without the spine roll, and they got rid of the tape. :applause:

That is nice work, presents so much better and I wouldn't mind paying for the grade bump. .

oh cool, another one. :banana: PQ bump too :whee:

ComicConnect last auction

30-2014-3750.jpg

ComicLink this auction

RAD8E7492015212_113453.jpg

I like that one. Book looks nicer without the spine roll, and they got rid of the tape. :applause:

That is nice work, presents so much better and I wouldn't mind paying for the grade bump. .

It looks like the spine realignment introduced a spine split at the bottom but otherwise I admit the book looks much better.

y'all are missing the point; you're not supposed to appreciate the better aesthetics. the phenomenon you see has the hobby in the crapper.

Because this is so much more disturbing than the undisclosed restoration and grade inflation after changing hands, that one has always found with raw books.

y'all are missing the point; you're not supposed to appreciate the better aesthetics. the phenomenon you see has the hobby in the crapper.

Because this is so much more disturbing than the undisclosed restoration and grade inflation after changing hands, that one has always found with raw books.

too sensible a point; you need some "manufacured gold" inculcation. in a hurry.