• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Artist with Best Looking Incredible Hulk?

118 posts in this topic

The Hulk is actually a very difficult character to draw. Many of the examples above do not look right to me. He either looks like he has a pea head on a dramatically oversized body or a far to normal sized green painted body of a well developed body builder.

The best Hulk is something in between that has correct proportions and that is very challenging to achieve.

I grew up on Trimpe who managed to get the proportions correct even though anatomy was not his strong point. Then Sal Buscema took over the book and I really like his art from that time period ( I don't like his later art at all ).

Keown does do a decent Hulk but often it becomes pea head. I also strongly dislike the over stated veins and sinewy muscle.

Deodato captures "the rage" better than others but again it is pea head.

I like the Hulk as drawn by John Buscema in Fantastic Four 112.

Steranko!

:sumo:

5422269787_1ed23205e8_z.jpg

I love Steranko's work, but I never liked his Hulk drawings. They always looked different from one another, like he had a hard time with figuring out the style he wanted to draw him in.

I always liked Keown and Gary Frank's 90's Hulk, but that's more nostalgia than anything. Bernie Wrightson's Hulk on #197 is cool, maybe just because it's Wrightson doing it. Overall, I kinda dug Ernie Chan's Hulk.

The Buscema/Staton or Buscema/Chan runs were my favorite.

Sal Buscema / Joe Staton was a very good team for the Hulk. Staton seemed to smoothe out some of Sal's rougher edges, producing a really nice effect.

I like Byrne's Hulk.

Ugliest Hulk:

1. Jack Kirby. Just an ugly looking brute, crudely illustrated

How

Dare

You

??

Best Hulk...the Hulks that many artists drew from (no pun intended...or maybe a little) was

Kirby circa Hulk #5....it's the quintessential Hulk

hulk5_p08.jpg

hulk_Kirby.jpg

That forehead got swiped about a thousand times.....

Worst Hulk?? Easy.....Gene Colan.

He was great at so many things...the Hulk was not one of those things.

He made the Hulk look like an angry green elderly lady.

Colan%20Hulk_zpsrszkw0ch.jpg

Best painter on the Hulk

Earl Norem.

He didn't go the body builder, too slick route, that some painters went. He stayed true to the character and gave us some of the most enduring images on those Hulk magazine covers...

01250.jpg

Ugliest Hulk:

How

Dare

You

??

:roflmao: Chris, its no surprise to anyone that I don't 'get' Kirby's art. Believe me, I've tried for over 30 years to understand the appeal of his drawings on others, but honestly, the images you provided reinforce my opinion that Kirby's Hulk is hands down the ugliest, most crudely drawn Hulk. Ever.

Ugliest Hulk:

How

Dare

You

??

:roflmao: Chris, its no surprise to anyone that I don't 'get' Kirby's art. Believe me, I've tried for over 30 years to understand the appeal of his drawings on others, but honestly, the images you provided reinforce my opinion that Kirby's Hulk is hands down the ugliest, most crudely drawn Hulk. Ever.

:gossip: That's who the Hulk is, a monster, a brute, a caveman, crude...not pretty.

But it's ok to like the smooth muscles and bulges that the modern guys render. :foryou:

The Lee weeks Hulk is pretty cool, but for modern artists my pick would be Eric Powell.

eric-powell-hulk.jpg

Nice!! There's that forehead again....Lee Weeks, Powell, Kevin Nowlan they all use the Kirby-caveman forehead. It works great in the hands of a talented artist. So perfect for this character.

The Lee weeks Hulk is pretty cool, but for modern artists my pick would be Eric Powell.

eric-powell-hulk.jpg

Nice!! There's that forehead again....Lee Weeks, Powell, Kevin Nowlan they all use the Kirby-caveman forehead. It works great in the hands of a talented artist. So perfect for this character.

Kirby clearly modeled the head of the Hulk on Karloff's Frankenstien's monster, and Lee's dialogue was in the same spirit, and that's who Hulk should be, a misunderstood monster, not just a giant green bodybuilder.