• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EGS - European Grading Service

53 posts in this topic

It makes sense to me, but the only thing is how popular are American comics in Europe? Their market has to be a fraction of that of our own continent. I don't see a whole lot of demand outside Europe either. But if the company lasts, and if their grading is found to be fair, or even strict, I can see them going for premiums. Maybe not CGC premiums, but better than PGX, as long as there are no scandals early on. Hopefully they have a restoration expert.

German grading explained ( sort of). You have to hit the translate button unless you read German.

Looks like they have a potentially 27 grade scale if you include +/- grades.

0+ the highest grade

0-

0-1+

0-1

0-1-

1+

1-

1-2+ etc... down to 4 or 4- being the lowest grade.

http://www.comicguide.de/php/faq.php?nr=205

Correction: I see one of the slabs is 0/0+, so potentially even more grades if you have split as well as combo grades.

It makes sense to me. Australia has Halo Certification & now Europe has their own thing too. I can see it being big on their own continent. Supposedly, Halo has had a CGC-like effect on the comics market in Australia. The collectors there feel they can trust Halo Certification over a "raw" comic.

Must have missed it, because there has never been one in the last 3 years in any Melbourne Comic shop, or Gumtree that I've seen.

I'm happy to be proven wrong, but outside the example or two posted on here over the last few years, I have never seen one in the wild. On ebay - this is them.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HALO-CERTIFY-YOUR-FAVOURITE-COMICS-in-7-days-/201282557465?pt=AU_Books_Comics&hash=item2edd601619

And this guy is selling all the Halo books I could find

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tales-of-Suspense-39-UK-Edition-1st-Iron-Man-HALO-Graded-2-0-/381132522570?pt=AU_Books_Comics&hash=item58bd44c44a

With a 97% feedback mostly selling phones and toy figures.

Both sellers live in Brisbane.

Both sellers have horrendous spelling mistakes in their listings.

Do the math. They appear to be like an Aussie mini PGX machine, without any customers at all!

Seems like a good idea to me... until one of the major graders opens a European office, they can't hope to compete on anything except prestige and quality levels. Sometimes price will trump that if it is a significant difference.

A good idea? To virtually insure that no one other than other EGS users/shills/interested parties would ever want your books? Good luck with that.

It virtually closes off the American/Australian/Asian market. Who is going to pay for the shipping for the extra slab weight when the slab is worth bupkis?

I'm not giving the service a thumbs up, I'm saying a European-based grading service is a great idea if there is a market for it. My statement is an economic one, not an endorsement of the company in question.

Might be a great idea, if you just want your books graded - and if they are competent graders and thoroughly check for restoration like the CGC.

I have to pay $60 FedEx for return shipping of 3 or 4 CGC books in one package (and $30 shipping books to the CGC), so shipping is expensive.

Personally it all comes down to Collectors Society and CGC's proven expertise. Also if I for example bought a PGX or CBCS 9.6 book, I would not pay more than if it was a similar CGC 9.2 book - in case CGC do not agree on 9.6, and I do not think I am alone thinking like this (so I would never let PGX grade any valueable book).

And I love adding books to sets, checking the Census and have more confidence in CGC's restoration check than their competitors' skills in this area (PGX). That said, CBCS could be interesting and they seem to catch on, but I can't build my sets with their books!

Now, if CBCS books got accepted as CGC equivalents, so I could add them to my sets (thumbs u - Guess it will be a cold day in Hell before that happens! :grin:

73_11_12_12_10_08_49.jpeg

hm

[font:Book Antiqua]

I hope this make some rare European Variants came to the market.

Some of those Panini books are rarely seen...

[/font]

:wishluck:

Some are so rare here in Germany that I had to reimport a few from the US and Great Britain for my own collection.

But if you need help finding some of the Panini variants just send me a message and I will see what I can find.