• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EGS - European Grading Service

53 posts in this topic

It makes sense to me. Australia has Halo Certification & now Europe has their own thing too. I can see it being big on their own continent. Supposedly, Halo has had a CGC-like effect on the comics market in Australia. The collectors there feel they can trust Halo Certification over a "raw" comic.

Makes little sense to have 1 in Australia, with a local population of just over 23 million.

An European company makes a whole lot more sense, with over half a billion people living in the EU Zone, especially considering the shipping + customs costs that involves books to be graded in the US.

More than a european company, that just seems a german attempt: we’re really far from the logic of slabbing in Italy, at least for now.

And yes, rpjb post shows what I believe to be the more common grading system in Germany.

In Italy we have something along these lines, but it is very loose:

– Edicola (roughly VF+ to NM)

– Ottimo/Edicola (roughly a FNVF to VF+)

– Ottimo (between FN and FNVF)

– Buono/Ottimo (about a VGFN, maybe up to FN)

– Buono (roughly VG)

– Discreto/Buono (in the GD to VG range)

– Discreto (in the GD range)

– Mediocre (more or less a FR)

With the due difference stains are almost ininfluential if small, and so most small creases if not invasive and color-breaking, at least up to "Ottimo".

Thanks, I did not notice that!

Seems something done 100% in Germany anyway: the italian texts are translated in a way that a primary school kid would have probably done better! lol

EDIT: It is mapped pretty wrong as well – no way an "Ottimo" is in the VG+ range, people expect at least a FN+ or so.

I will never use this Grading Company and I don't think that anybody knows, who these people are and how trustworthy they are. They have graded about 1000 books so far, that's not very much. What use is a Grading Company from Europe if I can't sell the books later on. In the end, every serious collector will use the most accepted Grading Service out there and not the one, which is not too far away.

More than a european company, that just seems a german attempt: we’re really far from the logic of slabbing in Italy, at least for now.

And yes, rpjb post shows what I believe to be the more common grading system in Germany.

In Italy we have something along these lines, but it is very loose:

– Edicola (roughly VF+ to NM)

– Ottimo/Edicola (roughly a FNVF to VF+)

– Ottimo (between FN and FNVF)

– Buono/Ottimo (about a VGFN, maybe up to FN)

– Buono (roughly VG)

– Discreto/Buono (in the GD to VG range)

– Discreto (in the GD range)

– Mediocre (more or less a FR)

With the due difference stains are almost ininfluential if small, and so most small creases if not invasive and color-breaking, at least up to "Ottimo".

With the addition of perhaps a clearly NM or better grade, this is pretty close to the way I actually look at books for collecting purposes. As the price gaps become more measurable in real dollars from grade to grade, I understand the desire to further parse grades, but I find when buying older stuff for $100 and under, I'll bid pretty much the same for a VG+ as I would a FN-, as I'm looking for a copy better than VG, and don't really consider such a book to be more valuable or desirable until it's clearly a FN or better. It's specific flaws rather than technical grade which influence me more. It's similar when buying cheaper but nice looking readers from the Bronze through modern eras, VF+ to NM-, it's all the same to me as far as what I'd spend.

It makes sense to me. Australia has Halo Certification & now Europe has their own thing too. I can see it being big on their own continent. Supposedly, Halo has had a CGC-like effect on the comics market in Australia. The collectors there feel they can trust Halo Certification over a "raw" comic.

Umm... no. No market presence to speak of and enough signs that it's a one man band to make me stay well away.

[font:Book Antiqua]

I hope this make some rare European Variants came to the market.

Some of those Panini books are rarely seen...

[/font]

:wishluck:

:cloud9:

BatmanOttoCapa_zpsaa1a8a72.jpg

[font:Book Antiqua]I really need that one paired with this one..!

[/font]

;)

:cloud9::luhv::cloud9::luhv::cloud9::luhv:

Batman18SS.jpg

[font:Book Antiqua]

I hope this make some rare European Variants came to the market.

Some of those Panini books are rarely seen...

[/font]

:wishluck:

:cloud9:

BatmanOttoCapa_zpsaa1a8a72.jpg

[font:Book Antiqua]I really need that one paired with this one..!

[/font]

;)

:cloud9::luhv::cloud9::luhv::cloud9::luhv:

Batman18SS.jpg

(worship)

There´s one for sale on Ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Superman-Batman-2006-7-Variant-1-of-2000-Batman-Joker-Dell-Otto-Panini-NM-/161278017605?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item258ceb4045

He also did this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BATMAN-1-DELLOTTO-FOIL-FRENCH-EURO-VARIANT-Exclusive-DARK-KNIGHT-Painted-COVER-/371240091610