• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why oh why can't most online sellers learn to pack/ship comics????

23 posts in this topic

So, once again, I get a package in the mail today from a retailer on ebay that just has no idea or care to actually protect the books they sent. I just ordered some mini's I wanted as full sets. Nothing of major value mind you, but books I want nice copies of regardless. Anyhow, long story short, I get the box today. 6 mini's packed together per set in one bag with no boards-no biggie if they are shipped properly, right? So the box is about 8" tall, 15 " wide, and 17" long roughly.

I pick up the box before opening and I feel the weight shift all to that side, shift it the other 3 ways and same thing-books are just flying around inside. I open said box, and there is no cardboard sandwich, and literally about 5 pieces of newspaper that would never support that many books' weight. The newspaper wasn't even crumpled up really to fill the dead space. It was just thrown in the box pretty much just flat almost.

IDK, just a rant I guess as I'm flabbergasted as to how someone could think that their shipping is legit as per their ebay page when they have no clue. Books are not totaled all the way, but not for my collection as they stand so the seller is sending a return label.

I was also told to look at the hundreds of positive feedback they have of happy customers as that matters when my order is thrown in a huge box without a care.

:screwy:

end of rant

I agree. It's even more annoying when an auction house ships this way. It's really just common sense, if you can hear the contents shifting, it's not packaged properly. Trust me, this happens more often than you realize. That's why it helps, on Board purchases, to read the kudos thread.

Been there, many many times. I was putting together an ASM full run. Ended up giving up after getting issues 200-700. In any event, I was ordering runs of ASM books that were often 20-30 or more books and I would routinely get a package that just had all the books rattling around inside the box. All the corners would get dinged up and I had no interest in having them as a part of my collection, so had to deal with the headache of trying to return them to people that didn't understand what the problem was and thought they packed the books just fine...

I hear you both. I'm also going to pack them in the same box EXACTLY how they were shipped to me, and if the seller still can't see what is wrong with the picture then I don't what ever will.

I sort of disagree with this tactic-- the old two wrongs not making a right outlook.

perhaps if you pack them properly, they will get the idea on HOW to do it more so than how they did it.

I hear you both. I'm also going to pack them in the same box EXACTLY how they were shipped to me, and if the seller still can't see what is wrong with the picture then I don't what ever will.

I sort of disagree with this tactic-- the old two wrongs not making a right outlook.

perhaps if you pack them properly, they will get the idea on HOW to do it more so than how they did it.

This is true I agree. But then they will think that is how they were sent to me don't you think??

This is true I agree. But then they will think that is how they were sent to me don't you think??

maybe-- perhaps if you include a note saying why you returned them and pointing out what added measures you took to pack that they lacked.

The other part I have trouble with is the books get damaged even more than before. I am all about preserving the books I have.

I purchased a set of books from the series artist a while back (won't mention any names, as in general, he's a fantastic guy.) They showed up in a box slightly larger than a shoe box. The books were individually bagged and boarded, stuck into a plastic Wal-Mart bag, and put into the box with no packaging at all. I cringed when I picked up the box and felt the weight shift like you mentioned. This was a $150+ set of books, so I was very disappointed, but more than that I was just shocked that even someone "in the bizz" like him wouldn't know how to properly package comics.

Don't assume someone who creates comics knows about shipping. Everything I know about shipping came from receiving well packed packages, certainly not by drawing pages.

For many years, up until around 2000, I'd ship books by putting bagged books into a magazine bag, put it in a box and stuff loose crumbled newspaper into a box. Never had a single complaint.

Now, I pack much better, use a ton of tape and popcorn and still get an occasional complaint.

What gets me is when I sell a run of VG books and someone complains about a ding in shipping. The books have multiple color breaking creases but a dinged corner ruins the book.

But I digress.

So, once again, I get a package in the mail today from a retailer on ebay that just has no idea or care to actually protect the books they sent. I just ordered some mini's I wanted as full sets. Nothing of major value mind you, but books I want nice copies of regardless. Anyhow, long story short, I get the box today. 6 mini's packed together per set in one bag with no boards-no biggie if they are shipped properly, right? So the box is about 8" tall, 15 " wide, and 17" long roughly.

I pick up the box before opening and I feel the weight shift all to that side, shift it the other 3 ways and same thing-books are just flying around inside. I open said box, and there is no cardboard sandwich, and literally about 5 pieces of newspaper that would never support that many books' weight. The newspaper wasn't even crumpled up really to fill the dead space. It was just thrown in the box pretty much just flat almost.

IDK, just a rant I guess as I'm flabbergasted as to how someone could think that their shipping is legit as per their ebay page when they have no clue. Books are not totaled all the way, but not for my collection as they stand so the seller is sending a return label.

I was also told to look at the hundreds of positive feedback they have of happy customers as that matters when my order is thrown in a huge box without a care.

end of rant

Do you intend to leave negative feedback? Few people seem to in these situations, which is why some really lousy eBay sellers have great feedback.

Online sellers that don't pack books correctly usually don't know that they are doing a poor job because buyers are too hesitant to leave neutral/negative feedback and point it out to them, which only allows future buyers to suffer from the same nonsense effort. Its why the seller's first excuse for doing a unsatisfactory job is "WELL NOBODY HAS EVER COMPLAINED BEFORE!!!!"

People in this hobby generally play with kid gloves, welcoming and/or tolerating garbage service across the board. For what reason I have no idea.

Yes but you need to see if those Positives are for selling comics . Some times sellers just sell a little bit of everything and have no experience with comics.

Those are the ones you'll end up with great prices . Because they dont know enough about comics and just want to make a few bucks.

In the end you'll have nothing to show for it . You will need to return the books, for a refund . Sometimes its better to pay a few dollars more if you think the service will be better .

end of rant

Do you intend to leave negative feedback? Few people seem to in these situations, which is why some really lousy eBay sellers have great feedback.

I'm not going to leave bad feedback. I am not in the business of being a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed. They are taking a return but I'm just in astonishment after years of online buying at the sheer ignorance of people on how to ship comics.

Yes but you need to see if those Positives are for selling comics . Some times sellers just sell a little bit of everything and have no experience with comics.

Those are the ones you'll end up with great prices . Because they dont know enough about comics and just want to make a few bucks.

In the end you'll have nothing to show for it . You will need to return the books, for a refund . Sometimes its better to pay a few dollars more if you think the service will be better .

This is an actual brick/mortar store and an ebay seller. Won't drop names as like I said it was all cheap stuff, but I still wanted some nice sets. Now I have to return books and find others. Just a hassle to me when it is avoidable.

I stopped buying anything in grade VF or better on Ebay Raw. Most times it came with one thin piece of cardboard in an envelope. I dont always care when its a VG book but really cared when it was a VF and when I got it the corners are all bent etc. And in the past when I try to complain to sellers i get either no reply or a sarcastic reply. Again under no circumstances will I ever buy better then F on Ebay as its too risky with the way people ship.

Its because people don't leave negative feedback. Those people are part of the problem.

(thumbs u

You don't even have to leave negative feedback. If they took a return, leave neutral and ding him on the appropriate stars. (shrug)

I don't know why leaving appropriate feedback is being a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed. doh!

If it was the seller's first sale or they don't normally sell comics, give them a pass with an email explaining that you're giving them a pass and suggestions on how to pack comics. But if they're a long time seller, not leaving correct feedback because you want to be the nice guy isn't helping any future buyers.

end of rant

I'm not going to leave bad feedback. I am not in the business of being a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed. They are taking a return but I'm just in astonishment after years of online buying at the sheer ignorance of people on how to ship comics.

How is it being a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed to provide a head's up to other buyers so they don't get screwed the way you were?

I'm honestly baffled by the many people on these boards who start threads about the crappy service they receive from eBay sellers and then say that they won't leave negative feedback.

Telling us the story does exactly zero to get this (or any other seller) to improve. Leaving negative fb will get a seller's attention or, at least, give a warning to other buyers. Isn't that what feedback is for? To, you know, provide feedback on the transaction?

This is an actual brick/mortar store and an ebay seller. Won't drop names as like I said it was all cheap stuff, but I still wanted some nice sets. Now I have to return books and find others. Just a hassle to me when it is avoidable.

It could have been avoided. If previous sellers left neutral or negative feedback detailing the seller's inadequate shipping practices you could have avoided the landmine you stepped on.

Similarly since you don't feel it necessary to leave neutral or negative feedback you are only inviting future buyers to step on the same landmine that you did.

it is not as simple as --- "oh they packed badly-- instant negative feedback". A responsible buyer should communicate with the seller and tell them if they had a problem with the shipment/packing whatever. THAT is the correct process of events. Giving negative feedback and poor scores immediately impacts a sellers ability to sell and can also impact discounts they get from eBay. By contacting them-- you open a dialogue which explains to the seller what they are doing wrong and gives them a chance to correct the current situation as well as future ones. Simply slapping them with a negative/poor scores is not a good way to operate. I have had some buyers who had an issue with something in a sale I've made. They sent me a message and we worked it out. Granted it had nothing to do with packing (usually they didn't read the description correctly and were upset about some flaw that was not only pictured but described in detail).

I once had a buyer contact me saying the old game boy I sold him was not perfect. I read the description and in no way did I say it was perfect. In fact the problem he talked about with the screen was pictured. He was angling for money back from the start clearly -- and I came to the conclusion that it was easier to give him $10 off on the price than having him send the entire collection of games and accessories back. I don't recall if he gave me feedback or not-- but I didn't get negative that much is certain. And the system worked.

Feedback is important and those who continually pack things terribly should get dinged eventually. One of the boardies here and I bought some items from the same seller and experienced the same level of terrible packing. We both talked to the guy and convinced them to start packing better or risk negatives and being referred to on the ebay block listing here. I think they listened and I got a few bucks back for the over charge they made on the flat rate shipping they used.