• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Not another Stan Lee Signature by TheFlash38

13 posts in this topic

Stan Lee's signature is not worth nearly as much as speculators think.

I do not understand the point of collectors and speculators clamouring over Stan Lee's signature. Yes, he is getting older, yes he is super important to the history of superhero comics, but the frequency one can find a signed Stan lee CGC SS comic deflates any value his signature may have. For example, I saw a CGC SS 8.0 Amazing spider-man 239 for sale on eBay for $250. I have seen his signature on other nearly worthless comics with outrageous asking prices. I hate to break it to speculators out there but the signature in and of itself does not increase the value of a book that dramatically. While a signature on a high grade book may be worthy of note, Stan Lee signs his name way too frequently to actually warrant the amount of money folks are asking for his signature. For example, on eBay right now when I search Stan Lee CGC SS "in comics" I get back over 2,300 results. Perhaps 30-40 years from now that signature might be worth something but I will never pay a premium for that signature. Perhaps CGC could add a census for signatures from certain individuals. What are your thoughts?

See more journals by TheFlash38

Some people don't care about the monetary value of a Stan Lee signature. For some people, it's just a nice thing to own.

I don't have any Stan Lee signatures and I'm not a big fan of books with his signature, but I understand the allure for some people. In the end, I try not to openly criticize or even worry about what other people choose to collect, no matter how much my eyes may roll.

I've always had mixed feelings about his signature. He will autograph probably just about anything you put in front of him, maybe that's tacky, maybe that's humble. He's in his '90s afterall, I guess I would too if I were of such age and stature. That does lead to the point/counter point of greed versus just giving the fans what they want.

I think the prices are ridiculous for his signature, especially on uncommon or non-significant books. I see signature series like photographs of yourself with celebrities for example, it's more about the experience, like waiting in line for your favorite creator, or finding a book at a LCS and going to a con with a friend to get it signed, or just the chance to meet a creator in person, fun experience no doubt that make for great stories, but this is something you cannot sell or try to purchase in the form of an expensive slab - the actual experience.

Like newshane said, it's just a nice thing to own for some and I can respect that.

To answer your question, I don't if CGC should devote a section of the census to Lee's signature, but that could devote a very large image gallery to it.

I have been harping that new collectors should not be buying and slabbing modern comics and will include to not pay big bucks for more than one Stan Lee signature, others may say collect whatever you want but I know that 99% of the young collectors believe they will get a return of more than their initial investment on these new comics and the likelihood of that is very small. Unless one is financially secure and has close to a million dollars in the bank today they are to be very concerned with what they are investing in and trust me, those who are buying more than one Stan Lee signature (at what $60.00 a pop + another $30.00 con entry fee) and those who slab moderns are doing it with a future investment return in mind not just for the experience of meeting Stan.

those who slab moderns are doing it with a future investment return in mind

You can read minds?

I have been harping that new collectors should not be buying and slabbing modern comics and will include to not pay big bucks for more than one Stan Lee signature, others may say collect whatever you want but I know that 99% of the young collectors believe they will get a return of more than their initial investment on these new comics and the likelihood of that is very small. Unless one is financially secure and has close to a million dollars in the bank today they are to be very concerned with what they are investing in and trust me, those who are buying more than one Stan Lee signature (at what $60.00 a pop + another $30.00 con entry fee) and those who slab moderns are doing it with a future investment return in mind not just for the experience of meeting Stan.

I can say based on experience most people getting autographs from Stan Lee at shows are just fans of comics and want to say they met the guy. These are the same people who also believe they will get a one on one audience with Stan and ask questions to him. The simple truth is at every show I have been too you hand him the books he signs like a machine and you go on your way. The most anyone can say to him is please sign in this spot here with this sharpie.

Stan Lee will sign anything and everything and is now probably the most common signature in the world. If your going to get Stan to sign something get his signature on a comic he worked on and preferably key comic. Those are the only ones that will have any value in the end.

Yeah, Stan will sign anything but I think that's because he's a good guy. I can tell you, I have been looking for a couple years for a Stan signed book (right now I have none), but they are more expensive than I want to pay. To me, that means there is a premium on his sig. Which, although I still have a hole in my collection, is how it should be.

I just do not understand when people get random books signed by him, then try and flip them.

Like for instance a Wolverine Vol 2 #68.

There is no connection there.

If you are getting the sig just to sell, at least put some effort into it....

I am not a Stan Lee sig guy, and I do not understand all the hype behind his sig. Never have.

But I am glad that others do. Whatever makes one happy.

Just don't try and sell it to me. haha

I can assure you as a young, college age, middle class collector that my Stan Lee sigs (I have two, the important one being JIM 85 in mid grade 5.0-ish) were not purchased with investment in mind. In fact neither of them are CGC'd because I am so uninterested in ever selling them. The only books I do slab are modern variant covers because there is literally no value in being able to read them, they exist to enjoy the artwork on the cover while still being a comic book and I have the standard version to enjoy reading. Again, this is only for display purpose not with any intent to sell. Nothing the money I would get from selling could bring me more joy then what that money was already spent on.

Funny you bring this up, I actually wrote a slightly rambling post about my disdain for overpriced random Wolverine issues signed by Trimpe, Romita Sr., and/or Len Wein. Just check eBay and you'll find a bunch of them. My current favorite is the Wolverine v3 59 for $500 apparently for the sole reason that Wein and Romita signed it. Why the hell would anyone pay that? Especially when I paid at least 80% less for my copy that's signed by actual contributor Arthur Suydam.

I'll admit I fell prey to the Stan Lee random issue signature allure when I initially got into the Signature Series, but now I can generally take it or leave unless its a book he actually worked on (I have X-Men 13, 17, 18, and 68 out for his signature now). Though I did take the time to assemble an MCP 72-84 run signed by him (which at least feature the "Stan Lee Presents..." splash), but that was largely because almost anyone else who contributed to those books is impossible to find.

So yes, it has gotten out of hand. But vikingreed, I do have to protest mildly -- there's only one SS copy of Wolverine v2 68, and its signed by Mark Texiera. Guess how I know? :)

Funny you bring this up, I actually wrote a slightly rambling post about my disdain for overpriced random Wolverine issues signed by Trimpe, Romita Sr., and/or Len Wein. Just check eBay and you'll find a bunch of them. My current favorite is the Wolverine v3 59 for $500 apparently for the sole reason that Wein and Romita signed it. Why the hell would anyone pay that? Especially when I paid at least 80% less for my copy that's signed by actual contributor Arthur Suydam.

I'll admit I fell prey to the Stan Lee random issue signature allure when I initially got into the Signature Series, but now I can generally take it or leave unless its a book he actually worked on (I have X-Men 13, 17, 18, and 68 out for his signature now). Though I did take the time to assemble an MCP 72-84 run signed by him (which at least feature the "Stan Lee Presents..." splash), but that was largely because almost anyone else who contributed to those books is impossible to find.

So yes, it has gotten out of hand. But vikingreed, I do have to protest mildly -- there's only one SS copy of Wolverine v2 68, and its signed by Mark Texiera. Guess how I know? :)

lol

I tried to randomly get lucky... Oh well...