• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Early Duck Books dropping in Value

68 posts in this topic

The current Fantagraphics reprints could also be helping thin out the demand of originals.
These stories have been reprinted a million times. I doubt the HCs are having any impact.

More likely are: 1) Currency exchange is making the books more expensive to some Euro buyers; and 2) The market for these books really peaked in 2006-2007 anyway.

(thumbs u

I can't speak about the broader market, but at the high grade end of the Duck market, a lot of the demand, whether from European or other buyers, was driven by perceived scarcity.

After some very impressive prices were paid in the 2006-07 period, a bunch of high grade Duck books came flooding onto the market. Whether those high grade copies always existed and just needed sufficient incentive to be brought onto the market, or if it was pressing, or a combination of both, the flood of supply quickly exceeded the number of players, resulting in declines in price.

I should've asked this earlier. What books and grade are you referring to? What timeframe are you looking at? I don't want to just blindly accept the contention that early FC Ducks are dropping.

Well...for some of the real early stuff...there isn't enough data. So...FC9, 29, 62...hard to tell. On FC108...it's pretty ugly...someone paid $16K for a 9.4 copy in 2006. The last time that issue sold, it went for $5975. Ouch.

For FC147 and FC 159...there is a clear decrease in mid to high grades.

FC178 appears to be fairly solid...but that's a pretty key book too.

FC 189 is hard to tell..some evidence to support the idea...but a little sparse.

And a similar story with 199...someone lost $1000 on a 9.4 copy they tried to flip from 2013-2014. Mid-grades show some evidence of softening, but hard to really tell.

Invest now, and you'll see some nice returns as three major events unfold:

-Disney company turns 100 in 8 years.

-Mickey Mouse turns 100 in 13 years.

-Donald Duck turns 100 in 19 years.

That's a long time to wait, so maybe buy some high end stuff for your kids college funds.

There is a lot of interesting information here from people far more knowledgeable than I.

Am I right in remembering a time, say 1970, when the Duck keys were among the most expensive collectable comics?

I have bought many Barks Duck comics from the 1950s and early 1960s for less than the price of a new comic today. I think my interest lies from nostalgia boosted by good sense. I loved them as a kid and they really are among the best comic books ever published. You don't have to be a comic fan to recognize a great story. That's why they sold so well in their day.

Initially, I bought the 68 or so Uncle Scrooges in any form I could find them. Then, when I had a bit more money I bought the original Dells and Gold Keys. I bought the third issue for $15 dollars in, probably, G+ though I have seen it being sold for as little as five. Issue #2 cost me $20 in a similar condition. The first cost me a few cents over a hundred dollars about five years ago in an ebay auction. It might be a VG or a VGminus. These prices are so low that it doesn't really matter if they go down.

The Rosa stories are excellent, too. I chase them but they are hard to find. When I do find them they are rarely more than a dollar or two.

The current Fantagraphics reprints could also be helping thin out the demand of originals.
These stories have been reprinted a million times. I doubt the HCs are having any impact.

More likely are: 1) Currency exchange is making the books more expensive to some Euro buyers; and 2) The market for these books really peaked in 2006-2007 anyway.

(thumbs u

I can't speak about the broader market, but at the high grade end of the Duck market, a lot of the demand, whether from European or other buyers, was driven by perceived scarcity.

After some very impressive prices were paid in the 2006-07 period, a bunch of high grade Duck books came flooding onto the market. Whether those high grade copies always existed and just needed sufficient incentive to be brought onto the market, or if it was pressing, or a combination of both, the flood of supply quickly exceeded the number of players, resulting in declines in price.

Right, although there are some books that remain scarce in high grade. Try finding a better than mid-grade copy of Uncle Scrooge 6, for instance.

There is a lot of interesting information here from people far more knowledgeable than I.

Am I right in remembering a time, say 1970, when the Duck keys were among the most expensive collectable comics?

Some people argue that Overstreet (and some of his key advisers) had an enthusiasm for Barks that wasn't widely enough shared among collectors to justify some of his valuations.

Certainly for mid-grade and below, the arrival of eBay made it clear that these books existed in staggering numbers and could be bought for well below guide.

Uncle Scrooge, I have been told, was selling two million copies per issue in the early 1950s. And these were great stories, read to kids and bedtime and passed around through the family. Over time, as we know, enthusiasm shifted towards the superhero? As comic stopped being a mass media and turned into a niche media, Stan and Jack won. I don't know if any body is winning today. Maybe Art Spiegleman. Do you think he'll change his name to Art Spee?

Uncle Scrooge, I have been told, was selling two million copies per issue in the early 1950s. And these were great stories, read to kids and bedtime and passed around through the family. Over time, as we know, enthusiasm shifted towards the superhero? As comic stopped being a mass media and turned into a niche media, Stan and Jack won. I don't know if any body is winning today. Maybe Art Spiegleman. Do you think he'll change his name to Art Spee?

But reading is hard. It take effort and takes time away from flipping through the piktures. Besides, you want me to put down my iPad/Pod/Phone to read? :facepalm:

Aside from the popularity of these books, Disney stuff was collected wayyyy early. My mother had a Snow White animation cell bought as a souvenier by some relative during a tour of Disney or something along those lines in the 40s and even then it was considered something to hold on to. So, while Ducks comics might not have been high on the typical Disney collector's list, it stands to reason that some of those collectors might have been stashing away some comics too, increasing the number of copies still alive vs. other popular titles of the day and creating a better chance for nice sharp copies.

And I say this as someone who has a nice collection of these Barks ducks, including a nice FC 108, which I thought had been stolen out of my office but had actually been stashed away in the wrong box at home. Phew!

OTOH, this stuff has a broad international appeal. If Donald and company get back into vogue I can see an uptick, like Star Wars 1 has bumped now that people are getting back into Star Wars in anticipation of new stuff coming out. Donald is still out there on TV, kids know who he is, so it's possible, this is not a dead property like betting on Roy Rogers or Gene Autry comics coming back.

Doubt it's the case, but as almost turning 30, my first response was " who the heck cares about duck books?"

Again that's my response and I'm sure it isnt resonating, as I am not with nostalgia on these.

And nostalgia has just a very little part in play: this may elude younger americans, but objectively speaking, Disney comics are a mainstay of the finest comics production with a worldwide breathe, not only the classic stories (both strips and comic books) from the USA, but also the production started as early as the 1930s in Europe, nordic countries and many other places, a good portion of which has been profundly faithful to the legacy, and is constantly renewed (as italians we have always the leading producers of Disney comics when the Disney management put little care in keeping them alive in USA after the 1970s).

Of course, Gladstone did a great job in the late 1980s-90s but mostly their effort was targeted at collectors. At Disney they need to understand what are their foundations, which means going back to what Walt believed and held more dear. ;)

OTOH, this stuff has a broad international appeal. If Donald and company get back into vogue I can see an uptick, like Star Wars 1 has bumped now that people are getting back into Star Wars in anticipation of new stuff coming out. Donald is still out there on TV, kids know who he is, so it's possible, this is not a dead property like betting on Roy Rogers or Gene Autry comics coming back.

With all the due respect, comparing Star Wars to what Disney has represented is like comparing an ant to an ant hill. ;)

With all the due respect, comparing Star Wars to what Disney has represented is like comparing an ant to an ant hill. ;)

I'm not going to fight you, but it seems that the Ducks mean more to Euros than to Americans at this point. Americans love them some Star Wars. Sure, Star Trek was first, but you have to wonder how much impact it had initially given that it got cancelled and you didn't see much space sci fi for a few years afterward.

Looking at a few auction results four various early Four Colors...and talking with a few folks over on the Dell and Gold Key Facebook group....it seems like early Duck books are dropping in value recently.

Any ideas on why...or is the fan base just getting thinner??

The fan base just getting thinner. Aging like the Hopalong Cassidy fan club.

My 70 year old father is into Barks and TV western cowboys. :o

For the Barks books to take off again the old scholars should introduce them to new generations. Barks stuff is great, but if no one shows the modern audience just how great they are,then they will go the way of old time radio premiums and stamps for interest with the future generations.

I see the same thing happening with EC Comics. Great stuff, but their old audience is dying out.

Spread the word people that Barks and EC Comics are some of the greatest comics every made. Tell it to the person who is buying the latest modern variant.

2c

Some people argue that Overstreet (and some of his key advisers) had an enthusiasm for Barks that wasn't widely enough shared among collectors to justify some of his valuations.

Certainly for mid-grade and below, the arrival of eBay made it clear that these books existed in staggering numbers and could be bought for well below guide.

This.

Bob Overstreet and Bruce Hamilton had an incredible affection for the Barks ducks, and the demand and value of these books was greatly exaggerated in the Overstreet guide for years, in my opinion. I don't think the drop in value is a recent development, I noticed it beginning 10-15 years ago.

As others have mentioned, when these older collectors either died or sold off their collections, the enthusiasm for the duck books didn't continue as prominently for later generations, and the supply was much greater than the demand.

I have MANY friends and acquaintances who collect comic books, but off the top of my head I can only think of one guy who actively collects the duck books. (shrug)

Looking at a few auction results four various early Four Colors...and talking with a few folks over on the Dell and Gold Key Facebook group....it seems like early Duck books are dropping in value recently.

For the Barks books to take off again the old scholars should introduce them to new generations. Barks stuff is great, but if no one shows the modern audience just how great they are,then they will go the way of old time radio premiums and stamps for interest with the future generations.

I see the same thing happening with EC Comics. Great stuff, but their old audience is dying out.

Spread the word people that Barks and EC Comics are some of the greatest comics every made. Tell it to the person who is buying the latest modern variant.

2c

Kids today are exposed to Donald and company (Mickey Mouse Club House is big with the kiddies, my son takes out Donald Duck TPBs (reprinting Barks stuff) from the library with no urging from me and the prior generation had Ducktales. 30 year olds didn't have much in the way of Ducks, but 10-20 year olds did/do. And now Mickey Mouse is getting a lot of shorts on TV. Disney TV is HUGE!!!! All the shows for 7 - 13 year olds are on there. Nickelodeon has been pushed aside. It is not Hopalong Cassidy.

Fact is, I'm 42 and Donald and company were on hiatus for much of my childhood (we did have Richie Richa and Archie though), but I still love those Barks books.

Of course, none of this says these folks will be interested in dropping 10 grand for some 40s Donald Duck book, but does show potential for there to be interest in a broader array of affordable stuff.

2c

Kids today are exposed to Donald and company (Mickey Mouse Club House is big with the kiddies, my son takes out Donald Duck TPBs (reprinting Barks stuff) from the library with no urging from me and the prior generation had Ducktales. 30 year olds didn't have much in the way of Ducks, but 10-20 year olds did/do. And now Mickey Mouse is getting a lot of shorts on TV. Disney TV is HUGE!!!! All the shows for 7 - 13 year olds are on there. Nickelodeon has been pushed aside. It is not Hopalong Cassidy.

Fact is, I'm 42 and Donald and company were on hiatus for much of my childhood (we did have Richie Richa and Archie though), but I still love those Barks books.

I`m 39 and I can appreciate Barks, but how many people younger then me ever heard of Barks Ducks or EC Comics compared to Guardians of the Galaxy and Batman?

It shouldn`t be so surprising that the fan base is just getting thinner. My point is the old timers have an opportunity to promote these to the younger audiences now to insure a future healthy fan base or Barks books could go the way of Fruit Label collecting which is a very limited niche hobby!

Think if the Barks and EC Comics crowd are old now, then how old and small will they be in a decade?

The interest will be even thinner, so that`s why I made the suggestion for the old-time Barks collectors to spread the word on how cool the Barks comics are!

Of course, none of this says these folks will be interested in dropping 10 grand for some 40s Donald Duck book, but does show potential for there to be interest in a broader array of affordable stuff.

That`s the difference.

Donald Duck will always be popular, but Barks Ducks we just don`t know.

At one time Hopalong Cassidy and the Buck Rogers ruled the nest with large collecting fan bases, and now look at those fan bases.

An example is at one time Hopalong Cassidy was bigger then Barks.

What happened? The fan base got old and died with no new fan base to replace them.

15 to 25 years ago Hopalong ruled. lol

61Q84PPJXCL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

515_1421616046A.jpg

This.

Bob Overstreet and Bruce Hamilton had an incredible affection for the Barks ducks, and the demand and value of these books was greatly exaggerated in the Overstreet guide for years, in my opinion. I don't think the drop in value is a recent development, I noticed it beginning 10-15 years ago.

As others have mentioned, when these older collectors either died or sold off their collections, the enthusiasm for the duck books didn't continue as prominently for later generations, and the supply was much greater than the demand.

I have MANY friends and acquaintances who collect comic books, but off the top of my head I can only think of one guy who actively collects the duck books. (shrug)

Add to that Geppi selling off his collection over the recent years. Plenty of high grade issues. This as opposed to other high grade cartoon books. Terry Toons 38, Early Archies, Little Dot 1 (and 6 if you can find one) and more. Unlike the Demand driven marvel/movie comics from the Bronze Ag, I think folks are realizing how much high grade Disney there is vs the non Disney cartoon books. If the title is recognized by todays pop culture, unlike Hopalong Cassidy et al, then those scarce in high grade books can get crazy money.

That`s the difference.

Donald Duck will always be popular, but Barks Ducks we just don`t know.

At one time Hopalong Cassidy and the Buck Rogers ruled the nest with large collecting fan bases, and now look at those fan bases.

An example is at one time Hopalong Cassidy was bigger then Barks.

What happened? The fan base got old and died with no new fan base to replace them.

15 to 25 years ago Hopalong ruled. lol

61Q84PPJXCL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

515_1421616046A.jpg

The difference is almost nobody under 50 (60?) knows anything about Hoppalong Cassidy. I've heard the name, but don't even know whether he was a TV cowboy, a radio cowboy or a B movie cowboy or all of the above. Roy Rogers I am a little more familiar with, but not much.

Donald Duck and friends/family are still very much alive on TV (with new episodes being created), very much read and consumed in Europe and maybe one day they will do a good movie, perhaps playing out one or two of those great Barks stories. I kid you not my nine year old (was probably 8 then) was sitting there reading and cracking up reading a TPB reprinting some of those Barks stories from the 40s and 50s and he's hardly a sophisticated reader. Yes, most folks don't know who Carl Barks was and frankly neither did I until the mid-90s when I started collecting some of these books, but if they become Disney collectors they will find out. Of course, that's the broader issue, will 10-25 year olds of today become collectors of ANYTHING. maybe not. they seem to be obsessed with some stuff like pokeman though.