• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Early Duck Books dropping in Value

68 posts in this topic

Looking at a few auction results four various early Four Colors...and talking with a few folks over on the Dell and Gold Key Facebook group....it seems like early Duck books are dropping in value recently.

Any ideas on why...or is the fan base just getting thinner??

Looking at a few auction results four various early Four Colors...and talking with a few folks over on the Dell and Gold Key Facebook group....it seems like early Duck books are dropping in value recently.

A stronger dollar means they cost more in euros in Europe, where a good chunk of the fan base is. (shrug)

The current Fantagraphics reprints could also be helping thin out the demand of originals.
These stories have been reprinted a million times. I doubt the HCs are having any impact.

More likely are: 1) Currency exchange is making the books more expensive to some Euro buyers; and 2) The market for these books really peaked in 2006-2007 anyway.

Doubt it's the case, but as almost turning 30, my first response was " who the heck cares about duck books?"

Again that's my response and I'm sure it isnt resonating, as I am not with nostalgia on these.

That's the thing...nostalgia drives a lot of this hobby...I think. When the guys who grew up reading the duck books are gone, things will change.

At the same time though...I didn't grow up reading them, and I didn't start collecting until I was almost 20. And yet, I collect Disney books and a bunch of other gold and silver titles too because they are really fun to read.

They are fun reads especially for young readers. I read them as a kid but for me the big thing was the Sunday night Disney hour on TV. We looked forward to it every week and especially the holiday specials in Halloween and Christmas.

You'd think with DONALD DUCK, UNCLE SCROOGE and WDC&S starting up again, it would spark more interest in these books.

Only WDC&S will have the same numbering, the other two are starting over at #1.

Who is taking over printing duties on these? I was fond of the Boom series, and was sad when they stopped printing them.

They are fun reads especially for young readers. I read them as a kid but for me the big thing was the Sunday night Disney hour on TV. We looked forward to it every week and especially the holiday specials in Halloween and Christmas.

Yup. When I was a kid, that was followed by reruns of the Muppet Show and Fraggle Rock. I don't collect Ducks, but if the prices tank on the early stuff, I might...

Doubt it's the case, but as almost turning 30, my first response was " who the heck cares about duck books?"

Again that's my response and I'm sure it isnt resonating, as I am not with nostalgia on these.

Yeah, but the last generation or two have had a lot of exposure to ducks on TV, so who knows. my 9 year old gets a kick out of them, but heck, he also liked richie rich and likes archie along with the super hero stuff.

the barks stuff really is timeless.

I don't read anything out of nostalgia. I read it if it's good. Which is why I like the classic Duck books and not comics written by Stan Lee (shrug)

You'd think with DONALD DUCK, UNCLE SCROOGE and WDC&S starting up again, it would spark more interest in these books.

Only WDC&S will have the same numbering, the other two are starting over at #1.

Who is taking over printing duties on these? I was fond of the Boom series, and was sad when they stopped printing them.

IDW Publishing is taking over the reigns.

Rumour has it that these relaunched comic books will re-print the classics from Barks to Rosa among others.

I should've asked this earlier. What books and grade are you referring to? What timeframe are you looking at? I don't want to just blindly accept the contention that early FC Ducks are dropping.

Seems to me like they have been pretty much the same for a while. i would not be too overly obsessed with CGC gpa numbers because i think a lot of ducks collectors don't want to pay extra for something in a slab.