• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question regarding US shipping to Canada

13 posts in this topic

I am purchasing a pile of comic books on eBay as a favour for a friend of mine who isn't very internet savvy.

I have a general question regarding US sellers on eBay shipping internationally (not using the fraudulent Global Shipping Program...that's a whole other story).

Say I, as a Canadian, purchased 16 comics from a US seller whose auctions specifically state the shipping cost is $12 for the 1st comic plus $2 per additional comic with no indication there is a weight limit. This would indicate I'd have to pay $42 shipping for 16 comics, correct?

So after the purchase I get an invoice stating shipping is $60 and IF there's any excess, I'll get a refund on shipping. Only IF....

So my question is....should I pay the $60 and hope that I'll get money back in a possible excess payment or should I stick to the $42 as quoted in the auctions?

I would ask for clarity on the disparity of cost. It's possible that they miscalculated or Ebay isn't adding up the comics properly.

Shipping is very expensive. I just sent 4.5 lbs. of comics to someone in Canada and it was $42 before insurance to send it flat rate. If I didn't use a flat rate mailer, and sent it slow boat to china, it would have cost $55.

-Terry

I am purchasing a pile of comic books on eBay as a favour for a friend of mine who isn't very internet savvy.

I have a general question regarding US sellers on eBay shipping internationally (not using the fraudulent Global Shipping Program...that's a whole other story).

Say I, as a Canadian, purchased 16 comics from a US seller whose auctions specifically state the shipping cost is $12 for the 1st comic plus $2 per additional comic with no indication there is a weight limit. This would indicate I'd have to pay $42 shipping for 16 comics, correct?

So after the purchase I get an invoice stating shipping is $60 and IF there's any excess, I'll get a refund on shipping. Only IF....

So my question is....should I pay the $60 and hope that I'll get money back in a possible excess payment or should I stick to the $42 as quoted in the auctions?

If his shipping is starting at $12 then he's using first class & I think 16 books in a flat rate envelope might be close to the 2 lb weight limit - if it's over or preferably boxed and over then your ballpark priority rate would be $42-ish. I'd go back to the seller based on the miscalculation & ask for clarification of service & discuss packaging if he was starting out at $12 bucks.

2c

edit - if you're paying enough to cover better packaging/service ask that he do that

You can only send up to 4 lbs first class and with a box, 16 comics should go over (if packed correctly).

Medium Flat rate boxes come in 2 sizes, the one that is smaller, but deeper will fit a bunch of comics, but doesn't have room for packing. I've sent cheap books to myself that way, but not nice ones.

The shirt size one would be too tight with 16 books, IF it's packed properly, so they might be going with shipping priority by weight.

I'd ask how they are going to pack before going with the cheaper rate and here are all the choices they would have

www.usps.com

Does DHL still ship between the US & Canada? Or is it only for non-North American shipments now? I can't remember. They might be a better option? Just a thought.

DHL makes international shipments. In Canada, they're called Loomis, but it's the same company.

Fair enough. I'm betting they have their "brokerage fees" a lot like UPS... ie. unless you pay for overnight. I just remember using DHL for my day-job a number of times & at least the shipments always seemed to go smoothly. I don't remember their rates though.

UPS is just as bad.

I just purchased some books from a seller in Poland not knowing they were going to be sent UPS.

They arrived today...the UPS driver just left the package outside on my sundeck in the swirling snow. Thankfully the package was unharmed, this time.