• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need help from the CGC Board Detective Agency

26 posts in this topic

Notice the signature on the book. Fenton just so happens to be the first name of Fenton Hardy, the father of the Hardy boys, and he's a retired Detective who became a top Private Investigator.

Batman is a Master of Disguise. The goatee is widely known to be used by all Masters of Disguise as they detect and investigate.

It's all so clear to me now. These markings, rather than deface the book, are instead a coded message from 70 years ago! Telling us that inside on the splash page written in invisible ink are directions to...to...ah shoot I lost my train of thought!

lol

The past is past. As a famous person said, what difference does it make now? The question is does the 6.5 leave $ on the table? The pages could come back Ultra White. The goatee may earn extra points for execution and style.

In some cases the past may well matter. Some books have gotten huge grade bumps from having detached staple pages/centerfolds tucked in. If a centerfold comes loose, there has been some tearing of the paper. If a book gets a bump because the centerfold was reattached, either someone has used glue and CGC didn't catch it, or the centerfold is being held in place very tenuously and will likely come loose again the next time the book is cracked out and read.

There is also the possibility that a book was gift graded the second time around. If I spend money on a book, I'd like to have some confidence that I could crack it out, enjoy the interior art while it's in my possession, and then have it re-slabbed should I decide to sell it without having to worry about having it come back significantly lower in grade.

153143.jpg.fd56911c4f44b1038c03ff050b86e96a.jpg

153144.jpg.aa22583089aca173235680e5428377a8.jpg

The past is past. As a famous person said, what difference does it make now? The question is does the 6.5 leave $ on the table? The pages could come back Ultra White. The goatee may earn extra points for execution and style.

In some cases the past may well matter. Some books have gotten huge grade bumps from having detached staple pages/centerfolds tucked in. If a centerfold comes loose, there has been some tearing of the paper. If a book gets a bump because the centerfold was reattached, either someone has used glue and CGC didn't catch it, or the centerfold is being held in place very tenuously and will likely come loose again the next time the book is cracked out and read.

There is also the possibility that a book was gift graded the second time around. If I spend money on a book, I'd like to have some confidence that I could crack it out, enjoy the interior art while it's in my possession, and then have it re-slabbed should I decide to sell it without having to worry about having it come back significantly lower in grade.

WOW LITTLE CLEANING AND 4.0 to 75 THATS SCARY