• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need help from the CGC Board Detective Agency

26 posts in this topic

I have studied these two scans and feel they MAY be the same book but I am not certain, what do others think :insane:

batman1160.jpg

batman1165.jpg

The 6.5 has a chip top right and cant see pgs. The 6.0 no chip and i see pgs.

After looking at Sig on the king card they look the same. with the goatee and sig they are the same book must have got press for upgrade thats why i dont see pages now. The goatee and sig and scuff under the A it has to be same book Yes.

The past is past. As a famous person said, what difference does it make now? The question is does the 6.5 leave $ on the table? The pages could come back Ultra White. The goatee may earn extra points for execution and style.

the same book ..., what do others think

batman1160.jpg

batman1165.jpg

Congrats, batman-fan, on the upgrade. (thumbs u

Did you use CCS or Joey for your pressing service?

the same book ..., what do others think

batman1160.jpg

batman1165.jpg

Congrats, batman-fan, on the upgrade. (thumbs u

Did you use CCS or Joey for your pressing service?

Sadly I didn't win it when it was auctioned on HA and it is beyond what I would pay for it on CLINK. I never really cared for the time period when Batman wore his goatee (although I have heard Robin did), but ComicConnect has a decent copy coming up so maybe a hope for an upgrade.

My response was a joke as I assumed this thread was.

(Thumbs u

(thumbs u (thumbs u

When I first saw it was the same book, the grade difference didn't register immediately, but who could miss the signature and especially the goatee. Given all the various detective threads, I thought this one was pretty funny because of the very obvious markings. I have no idea if anything was done to the book before the re-sub. For a 0.5 bump, I could easily see a straight re-sub. The name didn't bother me, but that goatee doh! I knew if I bought it for close to $3k, my obsessive personality would have made me crazy about that goatee and I would end up selling it at a loss because it bothered me so much.

Notice the signature on the book. Fenton just so happens to be the first name of Fenton Hardy, the father of the Hardy boys, and he's a retired Detective who became a top Private Investigator.

Batman is a Master of Disguise. The goatee is widely known to be used by all Masters of Disguise as they detect and investigate.

It's all so clear to me now. These markings, rather than deface the book, are instead a coded message from 70 years ago! Telling us that inside on the splash page written in invisible ink are directions to...to...ah shoot I lost my train of thought!