• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Storage Unit for Comics Question

12 posts in this topic

I'm needing to store about 15 long and short boxes of bagged and boarded comics for a few months and was thinking about renting a storage unit. I've always kept comics inside a nice, cozy closet (never the garage).

Is temperature/moisture a concern in a storage unit?

I'm needing to store about 15 long and short boxes of bagged and boarded comics for a few months and was thinking about renting a storage unit. I've always kept comics inside a nice, cozy closet (never the garage).

Is temperature/moisture a concern in a storage unit?

I have a storage unit with Extra Space. It is climate-controlled so no worries about it being too hot or too cold. However, it's more expensive than a storage unit that is not climate controlled. I'm pretty sure that most storage companies offer both options.

--Phil

Climate controlled is the way to go. I've used them for almost twenty years.

Also, have the rep at the storage place show you different sizes.

If the facility has a second or third floor, the upper levels may be cheaper, too.

You shouldn't need too big a unit for that many boxes.

Save a couple o' bucks.

Don't buy into the "climate controlled" sales pitch.

My band rents a "climate-controlled" space for our rehearsals. It's burning hot in the summer and freezing cold in the winter. Ninety-percent of the time, the A/C heat pump is turned off. This space happens to feature some of the nicest storage lockers in the city, and it's a much better space than the others I've seen and experienced.

No way I'd store my comics in one of these places.

Be sure to thoroughly inspect the premises and read your contract. Make sure that climate-control is a guarantee and ask them what sort of backups are in place due to failures or electrical outages.

I rented a storage unit for years at Public storage. It was climate controlled, on the 2nd level of a 3 level bldg, and cost me about $120 a month for a 10x12. I live in FL, so in the summer months it could get a little warm for my liking as it was on the 2nd floor. When I would go down to the 1st floor it was nice and frigid. Maybe visit the place during the summer and see how the levels stack up as far as the heat rising phenomena. I see you are in N. Cali so humidity is not as much a worry there right? I used to have multiple Damp-Rid units in my room to prevent humidity build up here in FL.

I got a deal on a climate-controlled basement unit at my storage place. I pay about $63/mo. and $164/yr for collectibles insurance, who require that the comic boxes sit 6" off of the ground.

Personally, I'd recommend looking for places that are slightly higher quality than Public Storage in your area if you can; the ones here in Portland at least tend to be in "methy" parts of town.

I checked out a few places before I settled on a place that had 4+ stars on Yelp, 24 hr. surveillance––and this last part is key––metal doors on the units.

Maybe I'm being overkill, but if anything happened to my books, I'd want to make sure the insurance company gives me the benefit of the doubt.

Horrible experience with a indoor storage facility. I went there because my house was too hot and there was no where in my house to keep the books cool and safe.

Looking back, I would never do it again. I have been collecting most of my life (i'm only 30) and spent a lot of money on comic books, but also had a lot passed down. I did not collect any of the Image or other 90's books, everything was gold, silver, and bronze. Everything was in order too. I had a indoor unit and it was A/C, the door was strong, and there was cameras, it was a "secure facility", that used an access code, it was also well lit, etc. However, that did nothing in preventing thieves from cutting off the lock, cutting the alarm to my unit and then pilfering my unit of $180,000 worth of comic books and other collectables (like 5%) like 30 long boxes and god i don't even know how many short boxes. They did this over the course of about 1 hour or so. Luckily, I had left a lot of the #1's at home. It was my fault for leaving everything there and I do blame myself on a daily basis for this happening. Still looking for my books, I live in Hawaii and I have not seen them come up anywhere yet. The funny thing is it was probably an inside job the cops said, and I know it probably was because the person used my elevator code to enter the building...lol Make sure you don't let the storage people know what's in there, just say old children books or something and do it when people are not there, because if it could happen to me, it could happen to you. Another thing is they actually caught the thief, but he does not want to tell them anything and he lawyered up and is spending time in jail... :(

I just thought I would let you know the dangers of storing your books offsite. I think about it every-single-day...

I kept mine in a non climate storage for about a year. I got one of the "inside units" or whatever they're called, where the door doesn't face the street so it wouldn't warm up. Things stay pretty steady out here in the desert though, no humidity and I'd say the weather ranged from about 65 at night in the winter to about 100 in the dead of summer in there. They were fine. They didn't warp or shrivel up and no condensation in the bags. Better than the back patio, or even the garage I think.