• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade only no slab service?

24 posts in this topic

Some collectors I seem to recall reading get books graded just to see what the grade is and to check for resto then crack them out.

Should CGC offer a 'grade only no slab' service? Cheaper and quicker?

But the other side of that argument is that once it leaves CGC without the protection of the slab, CGC can no longer vouch for the grade the book was given in Florida.

Right but unless there is obvious damage some collectors are ok with no vouching-I mean they are cracking out the book when they get it.

But it's not the collector's intentions that would be under question, it's CGC's reputation and integrity. Anything can happen in transit. No matter how well a raw book is protected, something as small as a spine ding can affect the grade. CGC encapsulates the books to protect them and to maintain the integrity of the grade. I've cracked books before with the understanding that whatever happens to the book after that without the protection of the case is my fault. The liability then is on the collector, not CGC.

I would guess that 95% of the cost of getting books slabbed is in the grading.

The only higher costs associated with grading might be the graders & resto check people's salaries. I don't think grading any book would take more than 5-10 minutes and I don't think their pay would be many, many multiples of those people in shipping/receiving, data entry, customer service, quality control, management, legal, marketing or those directly involved with the slabbing process - consider the care (time) that needs to be taken when handling books when shipping/receiving/slabbing - I think the costs would be spread much more evenly across the organization.

Also, shipping/receiving & the slabbing process require raw materials, machinery etc..so cost-wise I'd put the grading cost much lower, probably around 30% or less - I think the point of the thread is that it is this is the most valued aspect of the service.

Is this another one of those à la carte "wish" threads. :insane:

I've heard of people buying slabs and cracking them, but not having a comic slabbed and then cracking it, unless it was to resub.

Yeah, it seems odd to pay to have them slabbed and then just crack them out. Cash right down the drain. If anyone wants to just throw money away, my paypal account is ready to accept your cash trash :grin:

Why go through all the trouble to just then de-slab them?

CGC's resto check has always been an appealing feature, but some of us don't want our books locked away just yet, we're not done leafing through.

Other people can check for restoration.

I've heard of people buying slabs and cracking them, but not having a comic slabbed and then cracking it, unless it was to resub.

Yeah, it seems odd to pay to have them slabbed and then just crack them out. Cash right down the drain. If anyone wants to just throw money away, my paypal account is ready to accept your cash trash :grin:

I know some folks who get them graded purely for the resto check and then crack them. These folks collect valued GA books that don't require a slab for resale. The book, the label and their reputation is all they need to get what they want out of the book should they choose to sell it.

Why go through all the trouble to just then de-slab them?

CGC's resto check has always been an appealing feature, but some of us don't want our books locked away just yet, we're not done leafing through.

Other people can check for restoration.

Most of the major sellers and auction houses offer "free appraisal service" for potential consignments, checking for resto, assigning a grade and value. Some may offer it at a small fee.

I think there's probably an untapped revenue stream in the other direction. Slabbing without grading. Some custom/vanity labeling service, where people submit their own label-designs for encapsulating. Vanity plates for comics.

Some collectors I seem to recall reading get books graded just to see what the grade is and to check for resto then crack them out.

The resto check, I get. The paying someone else to give their opinion of the grade, I don't get.

I would guess that 95% of the cost of getting books slabbed is in the grading.

The only higher costs associated with grading might be the graders & resto check people's salaries. I don't think grading any book would take more than 5-10 minutes and I don't think their pay would be many, many multiples of those people in shipping/receiving, data entry, customer service, quality control, management, legal, marketing or those directly involved with the slabbing process - consider the care (time) that needs to be taken when handling books when shipping/receiving/slabbing - I think the costs would be spread much more evenly across the organization.

Also, shipping/receiving & the slabbing process require raw materials, machinery etc..so cost-wise I'd put the grading cost much lower, probably around 30% or less...

Nope, I don't believe CGC could afford to price a 'grade only' service much less than the current full service. The cost of slabbing itself is much less than the time taken to do a proper examination, plus all the general handling, processing and shipping of orders. I meant to say 95% of the cost is in everything other than the actual encapsulation. I think, probably.

The resto check, I get. The paying someone else give their opinion of the grade, I don't get.

(thumbs u