• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Giant Size X-Men #1 for investment?
3 3

792 posts in this topic

However, why you feel the need to break down a conversation and comment on every individual point as a means of argument and pretend it is not "aggressive" is beyond me.

There is nothing aggressive about breaking down a conversation and responding to each comment separately. It's internet debate 101.

If you don't feel like replying in like manner then just say that, but he did nothing wrong other than address all of your thoughts cleanly and neatly.

I respectfully disagree. The approach is a scare tactic and not necessarily a logical one. An argument is more that the individual sentences it contains.

However, I did note that my frustration with him was encompassing more than this specific discussion.

So when you have multiple points worth responding to you are saying someone can only respond to them all together?

I don't understand.

All he did was address your points individually. There was nothing aggressive about it.

I am suggesting he uses it as a tactic to overwhelm the discussion, cause frustration and in many cases as a way to demean people by insinuating that their POV is inferior by breaking it down to a level where it no longer makes sense (almost a form of argumentum ad absurdum).

That is what I am describing as aggressive.

There is nothing aggressive about breaking down a conversation and responding to each comment separately. It's internet debate 101.

If you don't feel like replying in like manner then just say that, but he did nothing wrong other than address all of your thoughts cleanly and neatly.

There is nothing aggressive

ag·gres·sive

əˈɡresiv/

adjective

adjective: aggressive

ready or likely to attack or confront; characterized by or resulting from aggression.

"he's very uncooperative and aggressive"

synonyms: hostile, belligerent, bellicose, antagonistic, truculent; More

pugnacious, combative, two-fisted, violent;

macho;

confrontational;

quarrelsome, argumentative

"aggressive behavior"

warmongering, warlike, warring, belligerent, bellicose, hawkish, militaristic;

offensive, expansionist

"aggressive foreign policy"

antonyms: meek, friendly, peaceable, peaceful

pursuing one's aims and interests forcefully, sometimes unduly so.

"an aggressive businessman"

synonyms: assertive, pushy, forceful, vigorous, energetic, dynamic;

breaking down

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/break%20down

separately

sep·a·rate·ly

ˈsep(ə)rətlē/

adverb

adverb: separately

as a separate entity or entities; not together.

"they arrived together but left separately"

synonyms: individually, one by one, one at a time, singly, severally

internet debate 101

37868dbd1917999a7d60d0088e2d68c719e1b938fe492e8e57d925ec04e2d968.jpg

Boredom has it's uses. I wonder, if I applied myself, could I cure 68% of cancer?

This.

And which 68%?

However, why you feel the need to break down a conversation and comment on every individual point as a means of argument and pretend it is not "aggressive" is beyond me.

I respectfully disagree. The approach is a scare tactic and not necessarily a logical one. An argument is more that the individual sentences it contains.

However, I did note that my frustration with him was encompassing more than this specific discussion.

So when you have multiple points worth responding to you are saying someone can only respond to them all together?

I don't understand.

All he did was address your points individually. There was nothing aggressive about it.

I am suggesting he uses it as a tactic to overwhelm the discussion, cause frustration and in many cases as a way to demean people by insinuating that their POV is inferior by breaking it down to a level where it no longer makes sense (almost a form of argumentum ad absurdum).

:facepalm: No, you're just :screwy:

There is nothing aggressive

ag·gres·sive

əˈɡresiv/

adjective

adjective: aggressive

ready or likely to attack or confront; characterized by or resulting from aggression.

"he's very uncooperative and aggressive"

synonyms: hostile, belligerent, bellicose, antagonistic, truculent; More

pugnacious, combative, two-fisted, violent;

macho;

confrontational;

quarrelsome, argumentative

"aggressive behavior"

warmongering, warlike, warring, belligerent, bellicose, hawkish, militaristic;

offensive, expansionist

"aggressive foreign policy"

antonyms: meek, friendly, peaceable, peaceful

pursuing one's aims and interests forcefully, sometimes unduly so.

"an aggressive businessman"

synonyms: assertive, pushy, forceful, vigorous, energetic, dynamic;

breaking down

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/break%20down

separately

sep·a·rate·ly

ˈsep(ə)rətlē/

adverb

adverb: separately

as a separate entity or entities; not together.

"they arrived together but left separately"

synonyms: individually, one by one, one at a time, singly, severally

internet debate 101

37868dbd1917999a7d60d0088e2d68c719e1b938fe492e8e57d925ec04e2d968.jpg

Boredom has it's uses. I wonder, if I applied myself, could I cure 68% of cancer?

This.

And which 68%?

Well, the bad 68% of course lol

I don't understand.

:facepalm: No, you're just :screwy:

:shrug:

Not sure how your view of me is better than my view of him - and our expression of those opinions.

I don't understand.

There are lost of people on here who enjoy debating and breaking down a reply is a very common thing on the internet in debates. It just makes it easy to follow lines of thought rather than muddying the discussion.

If it's aggressive, it's only because someone is being zealous with their points. They are not trying to demean someone.

Anyhow, I'm out.

I don't understand.

There are lost of people on here who enjoy debating and breaking down a reply is a very common thing on the internet in debates. It just makes it easy to follow lines of thought rather than muddying the discussion.

If it's aggressive, it's only because someone is being zealous with their points. They are not trying to demean someone.

Anyhow, I'm out.

I think intent largely depends on the individual. Which is probably where we differ in opinion.

So should I sell all my SA Key books?

No one suggested that.

Who wants to buy mid-grade first appearance SA Mega Keys at 50% off 12 month GPA? :makepoint:

No one suggested that.

I can understand people's apprehension because we are talking about money, but there aren't any market indicators that popular key hero books (only talking about the top tier) are in danger any time soon - or poised to lose value.

So now we're only talking about the 'top tier'? What exactly is 'top tier'? Is it the same as the 'Top Tier' was in 1974?

Yes, some specific books will lose value as the popularity of their main character wanes, but it is not as if the genre is going to evaporate overnight.

No one suggested that.

Highs and lows within a year or span of a few years are bound to happen, but unless some catastrophic event happens (global financial collapse, 500 AF 15s in 9.0 or higher materialize out of thin air, Marvel decides to stop making/selling anything, etc) these books are still the blue chip of comic investing.

Are you suggesting there is no ceiling to the value an AF15 can reach that people no longer can afford it or choose to try to?

Please note that I also agree that comic investing shouldn't be your only investment choice (probably like 8 or 9 out of a list of 10), but there isn't any reason to believe your money isn't relatively safe in top SA keys.

Safe? Are we talking safe or growth?

Dude, you are the worst. Seriously, do you feel the need to purposefully dissect anything said on the boards to the 1,000th degree? We are all capable of this behavior occasionally (I am definitely included), but man you seem to be hard-wired to push and push and push.

Many of the points were meant to be sarcastic and the balance topline personal position. I understand that there are arbitrary details, but without a post consisting of 10,000 words to clarify everything, I felt it okay to leave some interpretation out there.

You seem to be only interested in picking fights on here and are clearly a "top tier" jerk and a bully.

See now here I thought I was being polite.

This is what I find most peculiar about these boards. Nowhere did I call you a name. Nowhere did I try and pick a fight. I took a post you wrote on a public forum and I made statements in regard to your SPECIFIC statement, and asked questions. Why is that considered a bad thing?

You made statements on a public forum. I responded.

What do I get in return for this desire to continue the dialogue?

I'm told "Dude, you are the worst", accused of being 'hard-wired to push and push and push', and 'picking fights' and then called "a "top tier" jerk and a bully."

I'M the one out of line????(shrug)

Yes, you are. Maybe this specific line of posts isn't the best example, but there are plenty of instances to draw on. However, no amount of conversation between the two of us will change how you view your approach, attitude or their impact on others in the forum.

Good day sir.

sticker,375x360.u1.png

I say good day!

fez-i-say-good-day-o.gif

I stated my frustration was about more than this one post.

More importantly I addressed what I think is a growing issue on the site where some more experienced members attempt to bully others.

CG is clearly an articulate and well conditioned debater, but he is also a bully (which he will clearly disagree with). A lack of strikes just means he is smart enough flirt with a line without crossing it.

People can agree or disagree with me and it really doesn't matter, this is my opinion of the nature of his posts based on what I have seen over a number of months and direct/indirect interactions.

FYI - I wouldn't buy GSX 1 for investment purposes.

If I was a real bully I'd hump the button on this and your other post.

Don't know if you realize it, but you've called me a name four times ('the worst', a "top tier" jerk and a bully twice) and made accusations about my character three times, both actions of which are against the rules of behavior of this forum.

I have thick skin though.

Another bizarre aspect of this place are the number of people who just make random generalizations about the character of someone based upon anywhere from 100 to 20,000 posts and figure that's gosh darned enough for them to make that call. It's NOT. You don't know me in the slightest. So really, you have NO RIGHT to make those claims against me. ESPECIALLY while in the process of calling me names and libelling me!!!!

I didn't make a random generalization about you, I made direct statements that were supported by my personal opinion and observations.

The mods and pretty much anyone who's been here for some time will tell you - just because you observe something and have an opinion about it, doesn't mean you have a free pass to say what you want.

You are right I don't know you personally, I only know you from the site and from what I have observed and interacted with you. I have plenty of right to say what I did and it is hardly strike worthy.

I've seen strike's for less, and yes, it is. Especially since you did it twice. Calling people names, regardless of it's your opinion is a strikeable offense.

You bully people and play victim all through the guise of well worded prose.

How am I bullying you? You started this, and continue to point the finger as if I did something wrong. You've already admitted that my post wasn't a good example of it. (shrug)

However your arrogance and condescension is clearly presented when you start quoting post counts and their relevance to someone's POV on here.

The post counts had nothing to do with MY opinion, or toward anyone's POV on here. You may have misunderstood what was written.

If you are so certain you are blameless, then why are you pushing back so vehemently?

The only one who is pushing vehemently is you. From your very first response.

who first engaged who here?

You engaged everyone by posting ridiculous statements and questions on a public message board. Then, when your post was simply questioned, you responded with name calling.

I don't remember inviting you to the party. If you think it is ridiculous then don't engage.

Side note - CG doesn't simply question anything - he pulls apart every sentence of a post and makes independent statements about everything in isolation.

You mean he disagreed with you and you called him a bully because he disagreed with you and posted a whole bunch of words? Yikes.

You might want to revisit the idea that you lost your mess because someone disagreed with you and reassess.

Chuck is one of the more even handed, reasonable people here. I would enjoy these forums tenfold if there were a few more Chuck's around.

Edited by Park