• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Giant Size X-Men #1 for investment?
3 3

792 posts in this topic

Everyone is still disregarding the potential for growth in the hobby due to not only mainstream acceptance & female fans joining the regular collectors market with purchasing power.

I think we'll see fluctuation and market normalization on some prices, but we're also going to keep seeing rises at least commensurate with overall inflation or likely outpacing it. Because, while anecdotal, I can count dozens of female friends that I have that have jumped into not only becoming fans of comic movies because of the movies, but have even started reading comics as a result. Now, they may not yet buy big-dollar books, but they buy books. Given time & some price normalization, you'll start seeing them jumping deeper and deeper into the back-issue market, spending more & more money there as well.

I mean, us long-time collectors didn't jump in from reading a couple books a month to buying multi-thousand-dollar key books. We worked our way up to those kinds of investments. You'll also see it with the newer female fan contingent of the hobby as well in time.

Name one person who went broke buying key books and selling them 20 years later

Broke? No. Lost their shirt? How about Jay Parrino? Bought the best of the best, key wise, and took an absolute bath on resale. Granted, it wasn't 20 years later though.

Some of the old school keys would have resulted in a net loss 20 years later, like Feature Book 26 and Single Series 20, both of which have fallen out of favor. Ditto on some (most) of the Disney keys.

You're free to invest in whatever you like. If you want to invest in comics, by all means invest in comics. My situation might be different than yours. It's called a wife. Now if I could convince my wife...

lol

+1

Broke? No. Lost their shirt? How about Jay Parrino? Bought the best of the best, key wise, and took an absolute bath on resale. Granted, it wasn't 20 years later though.

While I'm not arguing against some of the points made here in the thread, that Jay Parrino incident was a very specific circumstance.

Jay had money to spend and had someone running around with Jay's blank checks, buying books for him at a fee...and overpaying. It was a ridiculous situation that never turns out well. And that person has been known to burn people.

And then Jay sold off everything early because he needed to finance another endeavor so he got out of comics.

He did indeed take a big bath though.

While I'm not arguing against some of the points made here in the thread, that Jay Parrino incident was a very specific circumstance.

Jay had money to spend and had someone running around with Jay's blank checks, buying books for him at a fee...and overpaying. It was a ridiculous situation that never turns out well. And that person has been known to burn people.

And then Jay sold off everything early because he needed to finance another endeavor so he got out of comics.

He did indeed take a big bath though.

It's true, but it takes a lot of money to pry books like the Pay Copy out of collections. Hard to get them without overpaying.

In any case, I edited my post to give a few examples of former top keys that would have resulted in losses on resale after 20 years. People forget that Action 1 and Detective 27 weren't always the best of the best.

So should I sell all my SA Key books?

Who wants to buy mid-grade first appearance SA Mega Keys at 50% off 12 month GPA? :makepoint:

I can understand people's apprehension because we are talking about money, but there aren't any market indicators that popular key hero books (only talking about the top tier) are in danger any time soon - or poised to lose value. Yes, some specific books will lose value as the popularity of their main character wanes, but it is not as if the genre is going to evaporate overnight. Highs and lows within a year or span of a few years are bound to happen, but unless some catastrophic event happens (global financial collapse, 500 AF 15s in 9.0 or higher materialize out of thin air, Marvel decides to stop making/selling anything, etc) these books are still the blue chip of comic investing.

Please note that I also agree that comic investing shouldn't be your only investment choice (probably like 8 or 9 out of a list of 10), but there isn't any reason to believe your money isn't relatively safe in top SA keys.

In any case, I edited my post to give a few examples of former top keys that would have resulted in losses on resale after 20 years. People forget that Action 1 and Detective 27 weren't always the best of the best.

Yup, the cream always rises to the top but the cream can change.

Yup, the cream always rises to the top but the cream can change.

???

I get your point, but your reference made me cringe a little. Not sure how I feel about my cream changing...

No one suggested that.

Who wants to buy mid-grade first appearance SA Mega Keys at 50% off 12 month GPA? :makepoint:

No one suggested that.

I can understand people's apprehension because we are talking about money, but there aren't any market indicators that popular key hero books (only talking about the top tier) are in danger any time soon - or poised to lose value.

So now we're only talking about the 'top tier'? What exactly is 'top tier'? Is it the same as the 'Top Tier' was in 1974?

Yes, some specific books will lose value as the popularity of their main character wanes, but it is not as if the genre is going to evaporate overnight.

No one suggested that.

Highs and lows within a year or span of a few years are bound to happen, but unless some catastrophic event happens (global financial collapse, 500 AF 15s in 9.0 or higher materialize out of thin air, Marvel decides to stop making/selling anything, etc) these books are still the blue chip of comic investing.

Are you suggesting there is no ceiling to the value an AF15 can reach that people no longer can afford it or choose to try to?

Please note that I also agree that comic investing shouldn't be your only investment choice (probably like 8 or 9 out of a list of 10), but there isn't any reason to believe your money isn't relatively safe in top SA keys.

Safe? Are we talking safe or growth?

No one suggested that.

No one suggested that.

I can understand people's apprehension because we are talking about money, but there aren't any market indicators that popular key hero books (only talking about the top tier) are in danger any time soon - or poised to lose value.

So now we're only talking about the 'top tier'? What exactly is 'top tier'? Is it the same as the 'Top Tier' was in 1974?

Yes, some specific books will lose value as the popularity of their main character wanes, but it is not as if the genre is going to evaporate overnight.

No one suggested that.

Highs and lows within a year or span of a few years are bound to happen, but unless some catastrophic event happens (global financial collapse, 500 AF 15s in 9.0 or higher materialize out of thin air, Marvel decides to stop making/selling anything, etc) these books are still the blue chip of comic investing.

Are you suggesting there is no ceiling to the value an AF15 can reach that people no longer can afford it or choose to try to?

Dude, you are the worst. Seriously, do you feel the need to purposefully dissect anything said on the boards to the 1,000th degree? We are all capable of this behavior occasionally (I am definitely included), but man you seem to be hard-wired to push and push and push.

Many of the points were meant to be sarcastic and the balance topline personal position. I understand that there are arbitrary details, but without a post consisting of 10,000 words to clarify everything, I felt it okay to leave some interpretation out there.

You seem to be only interested in picking fights on here and are clearly a "top tier" jerk and a bully.

This is a topic that doesn't really concern me. The chances of myself being able to purchase anything relevant is pretty slim.

For instance, the only real key I would like to own is a xmen #1, which after a bit of digging, seems to run around$450k in 9.8.

My house isn't worth that much.

Maybe in a few years I could afford it, but for now, I'll stick to getting comics under $5k

No one suggested that.

No one suggested that.

No one suggested that.

Dude, you are the worst. Seriously, do you feel the need to purposefully dissect anything said on the boards to the 1,000th degree? We are all capable of this behavior occasionally (I am definitely included), but man you seem to be hard-wired to push and push and push.

Many of the points were meant to be sarcastic and the balance topline personal position. I understand that there are arbitrary details, but without a post consisting of 10,000 words to clarify everything, I felt it okay to leave some interpretation out there.

You seem to be only interested in picking fights on here and are clearly a "top tier" jerk and a bully.

See now here I thought I was being polite.

This is what I find most peculiar about these boards. Nowhere did I call you a name. Nowhere did I try and pick a fight. I took a post you wrote on a public forum and I made statements in regard to your SPECIFIC statement, and asked questions. Why is that considered a bad thing?

You made statements on a public forum. I responded.

What do I get in return for this desire to continue the dialogue?

I'm told "Dude, you are the worst", accused of being 'hard-wired to push and push and push', and 'picking fights' and then called "a "top tier" jerk and a bully."

I'M the one out of line????(shrug)

This is a topic that doesn't really concern me. The chances of myself being able to purchase anything relevant is pretty slim.

For instance, the only real key I would like to own is a xmen #1, which after a bit of digging, seems to run around$450k in 9.8.

My house isn't worth that much.

Maybe in a few years I could afford it, but for now, I'll stick to getting comics under $5k

You should get a different #1 in 9.8 that is less than 5k ;)

ps they are at QC now :banana:

Seems everyone here is fixated on books that cost thousands to buy for investment. Too hung up on big "keys" and not looking downward instead of up. I gave sound advice several pages ago for book investing and it seems everyone ignored it. I guess if the return does not promise $30k or better ignore it. But thats good for me actually keep doing that. More books for me.

lol

Remember the tortoise wins the race.

Cheers, Howard

Seems everyone here is fixated on books that cost thousands to buy for investment. Too hung up on big "keys" and not looking downward instead of up. I gave sound advice several pages ago for book investing and it seems everyone ignored it. I guess if the return does not promise $30k or better ignore it. But thats good for me actually keep doing that. More books for me.

lol

Remember the tortoise wins the race.

Cheers, Howard

Oh just go run around naked outside already