• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Giant Size X-Men #1 for investment?
3 3

792 posts in this topic

I'm pretty much with Kav on this one. Unlike stocks, real estate, and other investments, it's incredibly difficult to show that there has been a major SA key crash (the naysayers in this thread haven't been successful in proving their point), and that's probably because it's never happened, especially in its entirety. Prices fluctuating a little here and there doesn't cut it. I really would like to see some solid examples of SA keys just completely nose diving, because then I can at least re-evaluate my outlook on key comics being a worthy investment.

I am of the mindset that comics are a great investment,but don't put all your eggs in one basket.Diversify,real estate,401K,etc. If you buy the right books,at the right time(big one).You can do just fine. (thumbs u

I'm pretty much with Kav on this one. Unlike stocks, real estate, and other investments, it's incredibly difficult to show that there has been a major SA key crash (the naysayers in this thread haven't been successful in proving their point), and that's probably because it's never happened, especially in its entirety. Prices fluctuating a little here and there doesn't cut it. I really would like to see some solid examples of SA keys just completely nose diving, because then I can at least re-evaluate my outlook on key comics being a worthy investment.

I am of the mindset that comics are a great investment,but don't put all your eggs in one basket.Diversify,real estate,401K,etc. If you buy the right books,at the right time(big one).You can do just fine. (thumbs u

This + infinity!

I'm taking a look at your sig line, and am noticing some pretty serious books. In your humble opinion, what do you think the future holds for those books?

This isn't about the past, it's about the future. If you think prices will be higher in 10-20 years - when the people currently holding the majority of these books will be selling and nobody buying will be trying to buy back their childhood - than they are now, you could be in for a rude awakening.

This isn't about the past, it's about the future. If you think prices will be higher in 10-20 years - when the people currently holding the majority of these books will be selling and nobody buying will be trying to buy back their childhood - than they are now, you could be in for a rude awakening.

You think that no one will be buying SA keys in 10 to 20 years for at least the same price they are selling for now?

10-20 years is not a very long time,and I guaranty that these G.A,S.A mega keys will still be very viable.I do believe that bronze and copper will be increasing as time goes by as well.

My point of view. Nothing produced in high quantities that is already considered an in-demand collectible has long term investment value. I don't see comics ever being more popular or mainstream than they are right now. If the demand is already near peak and being met by the available supply, why would the value increase in the future (aside from inflation)?

You could have made that same argument 20 years ago yet look where the values are today compared to 20 years ago.

You could have made that same argument 20 years ago yet look where the values are today compared to 20 years ago.

Not at all. Today, comic-con is cool, Big Bang Theory is a top show, the Avengers sequel is the most anticipated movie and Guardians of the Galaxy was last year's biggest hit. Demand is at an all time high, all while print media in general continues to decline. This is a peak (or plateau), not a step on an upward climb. Will key silver age issues hold their value? I think so. But will they continue to increase in value? I don't think they will. I don't see increased demand in the future and that's a pre-requisite for increased value.

Not at all. Today, comic-con is cool, Big Bang Theory is a top show, the Avengers sequel is the most anticipated movie and Guardians of the Galaxy was last year's biggest hit. Demand is at an all time high, all while print media in general continues to decline. This is a peak (or plateau), not a step on an upward climb. Will key silver age issues hold their value? I think so. But will they continue to increase in value? I don't think they will. I don't see increased demand in the future and that's a pre-requisite for increased value.

Yep. There's going to come a time when price exceeds demand.

I agree with everything you said except that we are currently at the peak. I believe we may be approaching it, but with the blockbuster movie schedule both Marvel and DC is pumping out through 2020, I think we still have some runway for prices to increase. The extent of the increase largely depends on the current market price and its room for growth plus the increased upcoming movie awareness, but I don't think we are going to stall just yet.

My guess, we will see a refocus of value against top keys (Amazing Fantasy 15, Hulk 1, Avengers 1 - and the well known hero golden keys among a few others - probably only 20-30 or so books on this list) and a decline against many minor keys with characters that only stick for a single movie or fade back into "C" and "D" list status. For the most part the hobby should reset itself when major pop culture moves on from the hero flicks into something else for a time (nothing is most popular forever). Time horizon, probably 15 years or so.

Just my 2c.

I agree with everything you said except that we are currently at the peak. I believe we may be approaching it, but with the blockbuster movie schedule both Marvel and DC is pumping out through 2020, I think we still have some runway for prices to increase. The extent of the increase largely depends on the current market price and its room for growth plus the increased upcoming movie awareness, but I don't think we are going to stall just yet.

My guess, we will see a refocus of value against top keys (Amazing Fantasy 15, Hulk 1, Avengers 1 - and the well known hero golden keys among a few others - probably only 20-30 or so books on this list) and a decline against many minor keys with characters that only stick for a single movie or fade back into "C" and "D" list status. For the most part the hobby should reset itself when major pop culture moves on from the hero flicks into something else for a time (nothing is most popular forever). Time horizon, probably 15 years or so.

Just my 2c.

I'm not convinced that having a movie slate out to 2020 is that much of a guarantee that prices even remain stable, let alone continue to go up. That's a long time to hold anyone's attention, let alone tie up their money in comics. Lots of things can happen between now and then that will refocus attention away from blockbuster super hero films.

Maybe it is just the fact that its Spider-Gwen #1 release day, but when I see the week's new books sucked into a frenzy of flipping on a consistent basis this market is looking more and more unsustainable. I'm not any more comforted by the Bronze or SA markets. It's the go-go 90s again with a market full of people who like comics as long as the prices always go up, which they're convinced will always happen because this time is different.

Edited by mysterio

In 2013 GPA shows 3 Fantastic Four #1 CGC 4.0's sold for

$6250

$6300

$5750

Since that time, we have:

$4332

$4500

$4155

$5975

$4550

Did the value go up or down over that year (regardless of what OSPG said)?

Are FF#1 4.0's a good long term investment compared to a 9.2?

If not, is that a good sign or a bad sign?

If 9.2's continue to rise in price, less people can afford them and if 4.0's are NOT as good of an investment, will it mean less people will want one?

Is that a good sign or a bad sign?